MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recording - Output from Mixer to Interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Recording - Output from Mixer to Interface
ketem13
Hi there,
I was suddenly wondering what cable should I use in order to record my eurorack?

I'm using Soundcraft M4 mixer and audio interface 2i2

My signal goes from the eurorack to the line input on my mixer and then I send it from the direct's out to my audio interface.

From the direct's out to the audio interface input - what type of cable do I need to use ?
a TS -TS cable? or TRS - TRS cable ?

thanks
BenA718
TS will work unless you are using insert or headphone outs to connect to your interface.
nostalghia
ketem13 wrote:
Hi there,
I was suddenly wondering what cable should I use in order to record my eurorack?

I'm using Soundcraft M4 mixer and audio interface 2i2

My signal goes from the eurorack to the line input on my mixer and then I send it from the direct's out to my audio interface.

From the direct's out to the audio interface input - what type of cable do I need to use ?
a TS -TS cable? or TRS - TRS cable ?

thanks


If you check the manuals for the M4 mixer and the Focusrite 2i2, you'll find that the direct outs of the mixer are balanced 3-pole (TRS), and the 1/4" jack on the combo inputs of the 2i2 interface will accept either TRS or TS. So I would say go with TRS on both ends, especially if your cable runs are long.

From the 2i2 manual:
"Set the LINE/INST switch next to the socket to INST if you are connecting a musical instrument (a guitar in the example) via an ordinary 2-pole (TS) guitar jack, or to LINE if you are connecting a line level source such as the balanced output of a stage piano via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both TRS and TS types of jack plug."
BenA718
^ While this is true, there is no benefit to be gained using TRS in this case.
nostalghia
BenA718 wrote:
^ While this is true, there is no benefit to be gained using TRS in this case.


OK, but it can't hurt either and may be helpful. Cable cost is similar for same length. Or are you saying the input on his interface is not actually balanced?

Is this not true?:

Balanced vs. Unbalanced Cables
A balanced electrical signal runs along three wires: a ground, a positive leg, and a negative leg. Both legs carry the same signal but in opposite polarity to each other. Any noise picked up along the cable run will typically be common to both legs. Assuming the destination is balanced, the receiving device will “flip” one signal and put the two signals back into polarity with each other. This causes the common noise to be out of phase with itself, thus being eliminated. This noise cancellation is called “Common Mode Rejection” and is the reason balanced lines are generally best for long cable runs. XLR and TRS cables are used to transmit balanced audio from one balanced device to another.

Unbalanced cables are less complicated, but they’re much more susceptible to noise problems. In general, unbalanced lines should be kept as short as possible (certainly under 25 feet) to minimize any potential noise that may be carried with the signal into the connected equipment.
ketem13
Thank you guys!
I think I will get those cable to record my eurorack from the mixer to the audio interface: https://www.thomann.de/intl/cordial_cfm_15_vv.htm

seems decent isn't it ?
slumberjack
ketem13 wrote:
Thank you guys!
I think I will get those cable to record my eurorack from the mixer to the audio interface: https://www.thomann.de/intl/cordial_cfm_15_vv.htm

seems decent isn't it ?


perfect. it's not the superior expensive option but one that lasts and is repairable due to connectors that you can easily open.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group