MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDI to CV on a budget
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author MIDI to CV on a budget
sutekina bipu-on
I'm throwing my first euro setup together finally, and i've been looking at different MIDI to CV options. I don't really care about too many fancy features though, just looking to save as much rack space and money as possible. anyone got suggestions on the best bang for the buck? I'm hoping to sequence it from my DAW for now, not really anything else so whatever's cheapest! Thanks in advance. The Bastl 1983 tempts me so badly but I can't see any reason (aside auto tuning?) i would get it over a $150 MIDI to CV, and even what's the best MIDI to CV in that price range!
ludotex
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
I'm throwing my first euro setup together finally, and i've been looking at different MIDI to CV options. I don't really care about too many fancy features though, just looking to save as much rack space and money as possible. anyone got suggestions on the best bang for the buck? I'm hoping to sequence it from my DAW for now, not really anything else so whatever's cheapest! Thanks in advance. The Bastl 1983 tempts me so badly but I can't see any reason (aside auto tuning?) i would get it over a $150 MIDI to CV, and even what's the best MIDI to CV in that price range!

Depends how many cv out you want?
Cheap one is the doepfer one: https://www.thomann.de/fr/doepfer_a1902.htm?ref=search_prv_7
sutekina bipu-on
ludotex wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote:

Cheap one is the doepfer one: https://www.thomann.de/fr/doepfer_a1902.htm?ref=search_prv_7

That looks pretty great! I was just hoping for a note and pitch so i guess i don't really know how many cv outs i wanted. I did just notice the a-190-3 has usb as well which would let me get away with not using a USB-MIDI converter.

However another thing attracting me to the Bastl 1983 is i wouldn't need to purchase a quantizer module, from what i understand, since i could use it as a quantizer (hopefully also while using it for midi to cv purposes...)

PS... I already have a Behringer neutron, I realize i could probably use it as a midi to cv but would that be too much of a pain in the ass if i wanted to use it regularly?
Agawell
the simple answer is to try the neutron and see if it is a pain in the ass for you

if it is then look to buy something else

if you see yourself buying more eurorack in the future then the addac may be a better bet in the long run, but that doesn't mean you can't buy the doepfer and then sell it

as for the quantizer, you may not need one - especially if sequencing like this - the midi to cv should spit out correctly pitched v/oct

auto-tuning is a nice feature to have though - but is tuning that important to you?
starthief
I like CV.OCD, cheap and flexible and 0 rack space.
euromorcego
sutekina bipu-on wrote:

PS... I already have a Behringer neutron, I realize i could probably use it as a midi to cv but would that be too much of a pain in the ass if i wanted to use it regularly?

no, just go ahead and try. Most people find out soon enough that they do not need that much "sequencing from the DAW" anyway. Often you just need a good clock signal (via audio).

Also other devices can work as midi-cv interfaces, like the beatstep pro (I think), maybe the Korg SQ-1, and similar. These might be interesting to have anyway ...

Otherwise: look for a pre-owned option, the basic doepfer ones should be inexpensive to get. People also report good results with this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/
bradpickapiper
this one is dead simple and SUPER cheap... i use it with my travel setup... (that is if you don't mind USB)
https://www.tindie.com/products/valpower/cvgate-midi-usb-plexy/
Monotremata
euromorcego wrote:

Also other devices can work as midi-cv interfaces, like the beatstep pro (I think), maybe the Korg SQ-1, and similar. These might be interesting to have anyway ...

The SQ-1 works great as a MIDI->CV converter, just dont sync it or hit start on it.

The Beatstep Pro also works great but its kinda weird the way they did it. Unless you specifically want that sequencer though, Id stay away from it just for MIDI/CV conversion. Personally I dont think its all its hyped up to be like most Arturia stuff in general (Mines 2 months old and Im probably getting rid of it already).
jasev
starthief wrote:
I like CV.OCD, cheap and flexible and 0 rack space.

Defo this
sutekina bipu-on
Huge thanks to everyone who posted so far. Your collective insight and perspective on the matter has been really helpful.

Okay so for now i'm going to try and do all my CV conversion with my Neutron and see how far I can get with it. I have a distinct lact of VCO's and VCF's in my current setup and was thinking about getting something multi-functional like a disting too.

If i have to go more complex, or try to keep the Neutron out of the mix, i'd probably firstly look into the cv.ocd since saving rack space would be ideal.

I might skip on a quantizer for now and go for a disting, too. The disting seems like an ideal way to save on rack space and stuff you dont always want or need in the rack...
ElTonerino
CV.pal is cheap and easy DIY for midi over usb to CV.

Saying that, I use my BSP as a midi to CV converter and the cv pal as a blank panel...
nectarios
+1 on CV Pal. I use one and it just works. USB powered too.
arcanius
+1 cv.ocd
Guinness ftw!
Draazith
ludotex wrote:
This is the main question. CV.pal which has been mentioned seems great for the price but has only 2 gates and 2 CV. CV.ocd is more expensive but has 4 CV and 12 gates and seems overall much more flexible. I'm using Mutant Brain (similar to CV.ocd) with my Digitakt and it is great. I get 2 LFOs, 2 CV/gate tracks, another 6 gate tracks and 4 clock divisions.
hawkfuzz
Keystep. No rack space necessary.
PietroC
The BSP Is fantastic i find the only thing missing is
Tempo change beetween sequences ( but you can through the projects which have variable tempos programmability )
The pads are not very precise velocity wise ( im a bit rough by nature though ) but programming wise its a bomb for the price too
I combinenit with Drumbrute Impact for tempo variations
I admit it is a bit weird for midi to cv ( crosstalk )
Maybe i just havent configured the midi channels correctly

They eternal Noob
Pietro C
fjoesz
cv.ocd
TrustYourCheese47
I also looked into a ton of stuff- for me it seems like the Keystep is a very neat option-- but from what I see it has no clock-out confused
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1