MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elektron box plus Eurorack case? Anyone make this?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Elektron box plus Eurorack case? Anyone make this?
calaveras
I was screwing around on Ebay at work, like half the western world is doing on Friday afternoon. And came across a cool idea.
This guy has a case that bolts to the sides of your Analog 4, Machinedrum or Octatrack and has like 80hp of Eurorack mounted above it.
No power supply, just the rails.
But it is a cool idea. However the product on offer is just sheet metal and some dinky looking rails. Not sure they are Z rails or Schroff or what.
(apologies if the seller is a forum member. No offense intended).

Curious if there are any more robust solutions that do the same thing.
I'd love to mount a couple Waldorf NW1 Modules up top of my Analog 4 and CV the shit out of them.
calaveras
what, nobody else has an A4 MKI or MKII that would benefit?

I've already thought about doing such with a rack mount case.
But that is going to be heavy.
If I get one of those SKB DJ cases with a top rack and front rack.

Mount the Analog 4 in the top with the manufacturers kit,
Mount a Tip Top Happy Ending in the small rack area.
But that is a few pounds of metal in addition to the case. And very bulky, expensive and ends up sealing away the guts so that you can't interface easily.
calaveras
found a cool example of what I am looking for. Sadly its an old BST thread on Elektronauts and there is no builder mentioned.
But it confirms the general concept. And that I'd have enough space to fit two NW1's and maybe a few Distings?

Rooftree
I might possibly have something that you could use. It's my Captive Elektron EK2 stand with an Expansion Shelf Medium in the upper tier. You might be able to fit a Eurorack skiff on the shelf. I sell the stand and shelf at KVgear

edit: The shelf will hold a skiff that's 13.2" wide (334 mm). The depth can be 7.1" (181 mm), or even deeper if you're ok with it sticking up past the edge of the stand.

Here are some CAD renderings of the setup.

[/img]
calaveras
That looks interesting. I’m kinda hoping I can find something that unites the A4 and some Euro more or less permanently.
I gig out occasionally, and it would be great if I could just unplug it and walk out the door.
euromorcego
have also seen this stands .... should be very simple to DIY. However, better would something that is foldable and that is a lot more difficult to do.

The concept is similar to the Arturia Rackbrute cases and the minibrute 2. Arturia wanted to open source the connection. Then it might be possible to build a custom tray that allows to mount an Elektron box. Maybe just simply something that hold 19'' devices instead of the minibrute?

Or you indeed just make a skiff in elektron dimensions, the box should give you about 4u (3u plus a 1u row) and something like 60hp. Then you can use any of the two-elektron stands.
calaveras
I'd hope we could do better than 60hp.
I've tow Waldorf NW1's that are 32hp each. (yeah I know wtf Waldorf? Why all your modules so wide?)
of the old school Elektron width is 304mm, divided by 5.08mm (1hp)
we get 66.929133858267717
so a 66hp eurorack should fit perfectly.
Or possibly a tad larger if there is a skiff that would fit with some engineering involved.
mush
Your math is not correct. 304/5,08 = 59,84...
calaveras
Oops guess I typed 340 in the calculator!
Rooftree
Just to clarify:

Width of old school Elektron box = 340.36 mm

Elektron fits into shallow pocket in each side panel.

Distance between inner faces of KVgear stand side panels = 334.36 mm

334.36 / 5.08 = 65.82 mm

>>> KVgear stand will hold 65 hp on upper tier shelf. Of course the skiff's end cheeks will consume some of the width, so the actual number of hp will probably be 60 or less.
Funky40
euromorcego wrote:
have also seen this stands .... should be very simple to DIY.

for the octatrack and other Elektron boxes with holes in the side its indeed very simple to DIY.
I´ve donne this many years ago for the OT plus 1-2 rowes of euro ( i was the first one btw. who has donne such rack).

later i DIYed something together for the DT which was MUCH more complex and work to do.
Using the old rails from the OT rack. The rack modular this time, so i could add more rows.

JFYI:

calaveras
I like how that Digitakt fits in there.
Is that a little pull out drawer?

I can certainly DIY something. I've been building shit half assedly for 20 years. I always mean to do a good job when I mess with wood and metal. But no matter how many times I measure, I always kinda kludge things together. Okay for junk at home, but if I intend to gig with it It needs to be both more robust and not too heavy!

I could always get a Pelican or Monoprice hard case and build it into that. But I'd rather the modular and the Elektron stuff are arranged vertically from each other. Not side by side in a case with a lid. But it would at least be durable and lightweight. If not terribly stylish.
Seaweed Sound
Maybe one of these options might work:

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/mds-x.html (2x MDS-100 + the expander)

https://www.3dwaves.net/listing/3dwaves-dual-tier-stands-for-the-elekt ron-octatrack-analog-four-analog-rytm-machinedrum-digitakt-v2/11883240
calaveras
hmm kinda baffling on the Ultimate desktop synth solution.
Thats just the end pieces to arrange 2 MDS-100 shelves in staggered fashion.
The shelf things cost about $60, so a 2 tier unit is about $140?
And I'd still need a skiff for the Euro stuff.
I could totally see that being used for my Dopfer Dark Energy units, Streichfett and a couple pedals.

I'll have to check the Guitar Centers around here. Maybe I'll chance upon a markdown table deal. This seems like the kind of good idea that does not sell to Guitar Center clientele.

I'm starting to lean towards some kind of 3D printed bullshit. I know nothing about the properties of 3D printed crap. How durable? How does it do with torsion? I'm betting it wouldn't be too hard to 3D print something with slots for Z rails. And have it all fold up like one of those folding Eurorack boxes.
hmmm.
Now I am getting greedy and thinking I can get a Machinedrum and an A4 along with a row of Euro and some tiles. It would of course be cleaner to have the A4 Ins and outs coming up to tiles so I can control some sound sources in Euroland, then feed it back to the A4 for filter, amp and effects.
God just imagine Plocking it to switch back and forth from it's internal osc to a wavetable osc, every. other. step.
shred
calaveras wrote:

Now I am getting greedy and thinking I can get a Machinedrum and an A4 along with a row of Euro and some tiles. It would of course be cleaner to have the A4 Ins and outs coming up to tiles so I can control some sound sources in Euroland, then feed it back to the A4 for filter, amp and effects.
God just imagine Plocking it to switch back and forth from it's internal osc to a wavetable osc, every. other. step.

and at the same time sending cv from A4 into the Euro. yeah... that sounds fun cool

I put an A4 mk1 in a briefcase 7U setup with a row of Euro. I wanted both to be level with each other so I had to mount the A4 on top of the Euro but it was a nice and tidy setup. Would have kept it but sold the Euro and went Bugs.
euromorcego
I'd also say the simplest solution is a standard 19'' mixer case. The elektron can be rack mounted (4U probably). Then 1U to cover the connections at the back ... if you are industrous you could make a breakout panel. Then 3U of euro using a rack mount kit. So it is 8U, with an additional 1u row it is 9hp.

There are plenty of good cases this size. And a lot more sturdy than any of these desktop stands.
calaveras
euromorcego wrote:
I'd also say the simplest solution is a standard 19'' mixer case. The elektron can be rack mounted (4U probably). Then 1U to cover the connections at the back ... if you are industrous you could make a breakout panel. Then 3U of euro using a rack mount kit. So it is 8U, with an additional 1u row it is 9hp.

There are plenty of good cases this size. And a lot more sturdy than any of these desktop stands.

That's not really the simplest though. It requires quite a lot of money. $50 for the Elektron rack ears, $160 for a happy ending kit then $120-150 for a rack.
That's an easy $400-500 for a big, heavy solution.
I'd rather spend that amount on something more compact and purpose built that unites the different elements in an ergonomic fashion.

I honestly cannot believe that the A4 has been out for what 7 years? And this doesn't already exist. It's so damn obvious.

Looking into 3D printing something now. Already looking at doing this to get some non-wood end cheeks made for my various synths and modules.

I find wood very corny looking on synths when I am trying to make futuristic music!
euromorcego
calaveras wrote:

That's not really the simplest though. It requires quite a lot of money. $50 for the Elektron rack ears, $160 for a happy ending kit then $120-150 for a rack.
That's an easy $400-500 for a big, heavy solution.

well, elektron rack ears, ok, these are expensive (but that is on elektron).
Then a rack case, maybe something like this https://www.thomann.de/intl/thon_19_koffer_8_he.htm $120 sounds about right.
And rails/power: a happy ending kit is not really needed, there are simpler ways to mount rails into a 19'' enclosure, for example: https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/haltewinkel-f-19-bgt-3-he.html and two rails.
But these you also need with any other solution, along with something that provides power.

What I do not quite understand: how do you want to transport one of these stands above? Like the "cool example of what I am looking for" above? It seems nice to have at a desk at home, but to run around with it seems quite cumbersome. A proper rack is for sure more sturdy.

In any case, to get a stand like this should be pretty straightforward using a laser cutter. Not sure if 3d printing is the right choice here. There are just simple parts that are perfect for a laser cutter. And laser cutting is quite cheap.
euromorcego
ps a long time ago, i made a 4u desktop stand (cheap mdf):

It works quite well. I probably also did draw some stands for the elektron. Should not be too difficult to make something that fits some rails in the right dimension.
Funky40
calaveras wrote:
I like how that Digitakt fits in there.
Is that a little pull out drawer?

I can certainly DIY something.

No drawer. See picture below.

in cases one *really* wants to have some special arrangements,
and gigability IS an issue, would i suggest to look at working with Carbonfibre & Epoxy.
Carbonfibre over Glasfibre cause of a MUCH better workability ( sandable by hand for example / No, or much less, thorns) , and a MUCH wider range of different fabrics.

working with carbon means one can tinker a basic frame, even by just taping some thin pieces of hard foam or balsawood over your gear ( anyway, the materials whats used in model Sailplane construction and other modelling construction), or glueing some pieces with superglue together on the quick, then laminating the carbon over it.
many many thin layers on the corners should achive a strenght as metal corner balls me thinks.
even creating fitting covers would be simple.
personally i turned Epoxy resin allergic again, so i never tinkered some carbon based music Gear boxes together since the boxes are just been used in the Homestudio, but i´ve donne several carbon surfboards the last years ( thats where my allergie "credits" go when i have some open......wink )

here is an example for thin sheets of hard foam which can serve as a protection for a groovebox ( swiss based, though / not shure whats the equivalent shops elsewhere)
https://shop.swiss-composite.ch/shop/USER_ARTIKEL_HANDLING_AUFRUF.php? darstellen=1&lowlimit=0&highlimit=24&Suchstring=airex

heres another picture of my integrated digitakt-Euro housing

it was all built around a bottom board and mainly the sidewalls.
I gladly can answer questions in regards to carbon or similar fabrics in case someone has some, or post links to give example of fabrics ( just swiss based though, but the US has shops too / while we here ( germany and swiss) have been leading some years ago, but should have settled now me thinks ).

There is btw. also Aluminium (steam) coted Glasfibre available which has Aluminum optics. looks awesome !
https://shop.swiss-composite.ch/ki/Verstaerkungsfasern/Glasfasern/alut ex.html
Funky40
calaveras wrote:

I'd love to mount a couple Waldorf NW1 Modules up top of my Analog 4 and CV the shit out of them.

should be a supersimple build:
just make the sidepanel part, screw it to the A4 ( it has the 19" rack ears holes, right ? ),
make the rails, screw it together.....and tinker from there until its strong enough and travel ready.

if the euro rails have to be (a little) wider than the A4 itself then just take some piece of distance wood between the A4 and the sidepanel ( i used 6.5mm plywood for such construction. Thats allready quite sturdy)
calaveras
euromorcego wrote:

What I do not quite understand: how do you want to transport one of these stands above? Like the "cool example of what I am looking for" above? It seems nice to have at a desk at home, but to run around with it seems quite cumbersome. A proper rack is for sure more sturdy.

I am thinking more along the lines of one of these folding racks, or just a simple clamshell arrangement with euro on the top half and A4 on the bottom.

A kludge would be to get a heavy duty cordura bag to put it in. like a Portabrace camera bag. However again that puts me in the price range of wanting to buy something ready made, or having it fabbed.

This TipTop design is particularly inspiring.

Too bad it costs a billion dollars and isn't even weather proof!
euromorcego
calaveras wrote:

I am thinking more along the lines of one of these folding racks, or just a simple clamshell arrangement with euro on the top half and A4 on the bottom.

ok, that is more difficult to DIY.

One option might still be to make a skiff in the exact elektron dimensions. Would be fun to have anyway (4u, 60hp).

You probably have seen these files for 3d printing: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/foldable-2tier-stand-for-elektron-machi nes/31523

and:
http://radek-rudnicki.net/elektron-rack/
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14855

and Arturia should still open source their Rackbrute case. It has the folding mechanism. Price is ok. All it needs is some kind of 'adapter' to use it with other synths that the minibrute2.
dkcg
I have this stand that has two elektron machines in it. Folded up, it fits in a Pelican 1550 case. Made from machined aluminum. Solid as a rock, and the folding mechanism works very well.

https://darkplacemfg.com/company-of-quail/

You could probably get some smaller euro case to fit in there instead of one (or both) of the elektron, maybe like 60hp or so?

I saw some on sale at Perfect Circuit, but that was months ago.
calaveras
I've found a few Pelican cases that more or less fit the bill. Which is difficult, because Pelicans usually have shallow lids.

I think that one easy, but not pretty, solution is to build out one of these to contain some Euro in the lid and the A4 in the base.
May as well put a power inlet and the A4 output jacks on the case exterior.

This model the iM2275 has a deep enough lid.

But only comes in generic black.

The dimensions are adequate.
Elektron A4
W340mm D176mm H63mm

iM2275
W359mm D335mm H251

It's actually a bit too much of a cube. Which will leave me some wasted space.
Have to go down to B&H and check to see if the interior ha any surprises that will make it untenable. Some of these Pelican cases taper a bit. Or have handle bulges in the way.

The lid is 81mm deep. The NW1 Modules I'm putting in there need 35mm clearance, so that even allows the Euro to be counter sunk a bit.
If the lid is as wide as the main compartment at 359mm, that nets my about 70hp. So 64hp for the two NW1 plus a breakout from the A4 is easy.
Though there may be enough room for two rows of euro in the lid? Which will be a bit much.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2