MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power brick for CGS Swamp panel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Power brick for CGS Swamp panel?
Soundoferror
Hi. Hope a swamp owner can help...My swamp has misplaced it’s power brick. It has a barrel type input so took a computer type power brick. Having trouble identifying which brick to get can anything be point me at the correct onefor the SWAMP?
It looks just like this one:

Swamp panel
GrantB
I don't think anyone's going to be able to answer without a detailed pic of whatever's hooked up to that power connector inside. I know the SQP doesn't work right without the correct voltage (had to convert mine from 15 to 12 when I switched up my scheme), and IIRC at least the Gated Comparator needs bipolar.
Gandalf
Soundoferror wrote:
Hi. Hope a swamp owner can help...My swamp has misplaced it’s power brick. It has a barrel type input so took a computer type power brick. Having trouble identifying which brick to get can anything be point me at the correct onefor the SWAMP?
It looks just like this one:

Swamp panel

As stated in the previous reply, without knowing what is inside it is impossible to answer. The boats, by default require a split supply +/-12V (or less often +/-15V) and you can't do that with a simple DC brick. There would need to be a DC/DC converter inside that generates the -Ve and possibly the +Ve rails from it. We need to know that to determine what brick can be used. Assuming it is a -Ve only converter, then you will need a +12VDC brick, if it is a dual rail converter then probably anything from 9V to 15V.
Because of limited space in most boats, the recommendation is for the power supply to be external and to feed +/-12V to each boat
teleport
There are two common power inlet varieties among the CGS based Serge panels. One is called MTA-165 (it is a four conductor inline square pin arrangement like you might find on a industrial controls circuit boards) - this is mostly seen internally for bussing power from the external world disconnect to the individual boards, but sometimes appears on the outside on a passthrough cable. The other common power port is a four pin XLR connector, (just like the standard microphone cable plug, but with a fourth pin that helps prevent disastrous mix-ups). Both these four conductor plug types carry three potentials; a positive supply - a negative supply and ground - (this is what most analog audio circuits operate on natively).

It's definitely unusual to see a two conductor inlet (there are some unlikely but conceivable ways one might imagine it could be made to work) - it's existence would imply a fairly custom setup especially given that your panel is most useful when combined with other modules.

Pictures would help inform guidance, and if there are any other plugs on the case, that might hold clues as well.
Soundoferror
thanks for the info
will open it up and update with pictures tomorrow
Soundoferror
here they are..

animalman
The MFOS power pcb is normaly an 1A, 12 volt AC wallwart. the other jack is just a "ground"/0volt reference.
Don't take my word for it though.....hopefully someone can confirm. seriously, i just don't get it
cygmu
animalman wrote:
The MFOS power pcb is normaly an 1A, 12 volt AC wallwart. the other jack is just a "ground"/0volt reference.
Don't take my word for it though.....hopefully someone can confirm. seriously, i just don't get it

Yes, pretty certain that’s right.

So OP needs to get hold of a 12VAC wall wart capable of 1A or more. A DC one will absolutely not work so please don’t make that mistake! With any luck this panel will be up and running again very soon.
Soundoferror
thanks wigglers & Dave Brown
he pointed at this now ordered.
should do the trick

I was just ready to email you this. It can be 12 – 15V. I would stay with 12V since your regulators aren’t heat sinked.
http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/WALLWARTSUPPLY/WALLWART SUPPLY.php

The issue is we don’t know what size your barrel is. A typical size is 5.5mm OD and 2.1mm ID. However, your inner pin could be a larger diameter.

This one would work assuming 2.1mm.
https://www.jameco.com/z/ACU120100-AC-AC-Wall-Adapter-12-V-1A-2-1mm-Fe male-Plug_10081.html
Revok
Looks like the common DIY guitar pedal jack which is 2.1mm.
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/2-1-mm-all-plastic-roun d/
No guarantee but 2.1mm is a pretty good guess.
Soundoferror
that one did the trick thank you wigglers & Dave B.!
Cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1