MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fav 14hp filter, and why?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Fav 14hp filter, and why?
p@@@nts
Just looking to gather some subjective opinions and info on the various 14hp filters. So many of them have awesome reputations and look really interesting; so hard to choose!

I'd list my other filters, but that might filter the info too much hihi
lisa
If I had 14hp to fill with filters I’d go Joranalogue Filter 8 and MengQi DPLPG. Filter 8 is well made, has many outputs, resonance that doesn’t remove bass and several clever functions like the LFO mode, level compensation, the hold function, the ping input and so on. DPLPG is a tiny, beautiful, passive LPG for all your bongo needs.
oilpanic
At 14 hp you can get a combo of a Happy Nerding mmf and a TipTop forbidden planet. That would get you loads of options from the simple to complexity for a relatively modest amount of cash.
brandonlogic
Don’t mess around. These:

The twin peak is in my top 3 eurorack modules of all time. Why? Because it sounds amazing and unique for both filtering and pinging. It’s my favorite ping voice. I even owned the new ping kings qpas and dipole. Both are good but they got nothin on the twin peak. It’s got the most natural organic sound out of any.

Second place, also a ping champ and all around great filter, random source vcfq
visible cow
I'm mostly out of eurorack at the moment but my favorite filter over my almost 10 year journey was the STG Sea Devils. Very vibey (and my version was very deep but I believe there is a more shallow version). I also love its simplicity and ergonomics. Next up would be the Synthesis Technology e440, just beautiful.

Edit: but I would totally love to give that Klangbau resonator a go.
pulse_divider
Manhanttan Analog SVVCF- sounds amazing and has superb CP3 style mixer on front end. It's the perfect back end for my fav oscillator set, the Living VCOs.

I've never owned the Synth Tech E440 but had the 5U version and it's one of the best filters I've ever heard.

EDIT: The Serge VCFQ is also really special, the most woody & organic sounding filter I've used. Patch it up to self oscillate, give it some modulation and ping the input and you'll swear you're walking through a rainforest. I haven't used the R*S euro version but their stuff is great and am sure it's no exception. Makes an excellent companion/foil to the ones mentioned above, as it sounds totally different.
starthief
lisa wrote:
If I had 14hp to fill with filters I’d go Joranalogue Filter 8 and MengQi DPLPG.

Agreed. Filter 8 has a great sound and is full of utility, and DPLPG is a great value in a little package.
brandonlogic
As for why:
(And yes, I have both versions, because they are that good)
Gringo Starr
brandonlogic wrote:
As for why:

Where are these sold? Direct through Rob?
geremyf
CWEJMAN MMF-6. Super flexible, simultaneous LP/BP/HP clean and dirty outputs, multiple distortion modes (soft and hard), and a strange symmetry parameter which works well with distortion and gives the filter some character over other similar filters. Doubles as a pretty nice oscillator too. I use it as a bread and butter filter in paraphonic mode with the E370. The build quality is pretty excellent as well.
hlprmnky
brandonlogic wrote:
As for why:

I was going to suggest the Belgrad as I have one and really enjoy it, but this here is a solid two and a half minutes of sounds I know how to approximate but not achieve with my beloved Xaoc Device.
Is this your king?, etc.
mmpingo
lisa wrote:
DPLPG is a tiny, beautiful, passive LPG for all your bongo needs.

Do those all passive LPGs need a help from other modules (an amplification, whatever)? I mean if the passive LPGs are so great, what do we need the other (active?) ones for?
brandonlogic
Gringo Starr wrote:

Where are these sold? Direct through Rob?

Yeah, Willi Sauter of Klamgbau. Just message him. sauterw@web.de

hlprmnky wrote:

Is this your king?, etc.

Long may he reign King Ping the II we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
indexofmetals
AJH minimod filter. Fairly basic but just sounds unbelievably good. I now have four of them, with a pair for stereo use.
p@@@nts
Argh I want them allll!!!

Has anyone tried the AJH Sonic XV?
TemplarK
MMF 6
sko87pro
+1 for the Klangbau twin peak resonator, I have this. brandonlogic is right!

This great album by timoka features the twin peak resonator as a central instrument. Recommended listening:
https://kilchhofer.net/The-Book-Room

On my list for consideration:
E440
VSL VCF74
Jove
Joranalogue Filter 8

I’m also interested in the Humpback filter, it’s SEM SVF and very crunchy. But it’s 8HP (?) not 14.
dubonaire
My absolute favourite filter of any size but happens to be 14HP is the Intellijel Dr. Octature II. It's discontinued but still in stock at some retailers. A super versatile, beautiful sounding filter with soft clipping circuit perfect for chords also multiple sine oscillator. Doc Sketchy's chef d'oeuvre.

Synthesis Technology E440 Discrete OTA VCF. Gorgeous filter.

Doepfer A-106-1 Xtreme Filter. My secret weapon for certain sounds such as hihats.
Fog Door
Quote:
As for why:

Wow, beautiful sounds, soooo good
starthief
mmpingo wrote:
Do those all passive LPGs need a help from other modules (an amplification, whatever)? I mean if the passive LPGs are so great, what do we need the other (active?) ones for?

Passive LPGs work for pinging with a sufficient trigger voltage (most triggers). They also can work with sustained gates or envelopes.

Passive LPGs are a lot less good with envelopes than active ones. They have a minimum voltage threshold before they open, and then they open a noticeable amount -- so low sustained levels and slow attacks don't work well.

Active LPGs allow for better control. (Vactrol LPGs will still slew any downward motion in a control signal, active or not, but that doesn't mean they can't work with an ADSR.)

Also, many active LPGs have mode switches (VCA, LPG, or VCF) and some have resonance controls.

And some modules act oddly with passive LPGs due to... impedance issues maybe? Rampage for instance, tends to lock up (not cycling or triggering) if you run an output directly into DPLPG, but going through an attenuator or a buffered mult will fix it.
MindMachine
p@@@nts wrote:
Argh I want them allll!!!

Has anyone tried the AJH Sonic XV?

This one has my attention too.

Too bad that new Rossum Linnaeus is 16HP (with regards to the OP 14HP limit). It sounds real good.
dubonaire
MindMachine wrote:
Too bad that new Rossum Linnaeus is 16HP. It sounds real good.

The 16HP Rossum Evolution is excellent as well (as is the Morpheus, I have both) with CV controlled continuous morphing across filter types and number of poles. I think when some people baulk at these larger filters they overlook the number of CV inputs with attenuverters. These filters consume CV sources fast.
MindMachine
dubonaire wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
Too bad that new Rossum Linnaeus is 16HP. It sounds real good.

The 16HP Rossum Evolution is excellent as well (as is the Morpheus, I have both) with CV controlled continuous morphing across filter types and number of poles. I think when some people baulk at these larger filters they overlook the number of CV inputs with attenuverters. These filters consume CV sources fast.

For sure. I just meant in regards to the OP's limit of 14HP.
luketeaford
VCFQ gets my vote-- in general, I'm kind of "eh filters whatever" but the VCFQ lives up to its reputation. There's so much you can do with it and it just sounds so rich with saws/squares and it's organic pinged. I love using it in feedback loops. It makes an awesome dynamic depth FM source in a serge system. Running the pinged filter through a comparator or VCM? Works every time. nanners
hinterlands303
luketeaford wrote:
VCFQ gets my vote-- in general, I'm kind of "eh filters whatever" but the VCFQ lives up to its reputation. There's so much you can do with it and it just sounds so rich with saws/squares and it's organic pinged. I love using it in feedback loops. It makes an awesome dynamic depth FM source in a serge system. Running the pinged filter through a comparator or VCM? Works every time. nanners

It really is excellent. Also great for processing CV (envelopes are particularly fun). For me it's the perfect filter in a modular system - although it does have it's quirks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2