MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question for Jomox Airbase 99 owners (or previous owners)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Question for Jomox Airbase 99 owners (or previous owners)
Heavenly3lues
Hello! I just picked up a Jomox Airbase 99 on eBay described as "working properly" in the ad. I'm slightly upset, as it's not 100% working properly as described. It has a dodgy encoder that skips when moving quickly through the kits. That's minor though and I can replace that. Also has a scratchy volume pot, but again, not a major issue. Other than that, it seems to be in good condition, sounds great,

I have a question though. On some kits, when I'm sending a MIDI loop, say a simple 4 bar loop, randomly some MIDI notes will drop out and it won't play a sound. It's almost as if it's randomizing the kit and dropping the notes out to give it some variation. I know my Cirklon is still sending the MIDI and I can see on the unit it's still receiving MIDI. Is this something that has been programmed into the kit? For example, an LFO that is causing certain sounds to drop out? I'm perusing the manual right now to investigate, but it would be great to hear from another owner. On some kits, it doesn't do this at all.

Also, the seller didn't advertise that it was a 100V Japanese power supply... a bit miffed about that too. I've read before that the 100V supplies work fine and won't cause any issues in the US. Should I worry about it and replace with a proper 120V/12V AC/AC power supply? It seems to be playing fine and I've been using it for a couple hours with no issue... unless the random dropping out notes is power related?!? If that were the case though, every kit would do it, and some aren't.

Thanks for the help we're not worthy I've been waiting for one of these for a couple years and I can already tell I'm going to really enjoy it!
sutekina bipu-on
No, it's probably working fine. They're just a pain in the dick to both edit and really do anything MIDI with. The chances are honestly that your sequencer isn't sending exactly what the airbase wants, so double check that all your midi settings are perfect and you should be able to not get dropped notes.

One time mine freaked out and wouldn't boot up, one of the system ROMs had gotten the tiniest bit loose so don't panic if something like that happens especially after moving it one day.

Give the airbase a factory reset if you dont have custom kits you're in love with already on it.

I would get a 120v power supply but its safe to use for the time being since itll just run hotter than it should which reduces the power supply's lifespan, not the synth's.

I sold mine years ago. I made samples of it though.
Heavenly3lues
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
No, it's probably working fine. They're just a pain in the dick to both edit and really do anything MIDI with. The chances are honestly that your sequencer isn't sending exactly what the airbase wants, so double check that all your midi settings are perfect and you should be able to not get dropped notes.

One time mine freaked out and wouldn't boot up, one of the system ROMs had gotten the tiniest bit loose so don't panic if something like that happens especially after moving it one day.

Give the airbase a factory reset if you dont have custom kits you're in love with already on it.

I would get a 120v power supply but its safe to use for the time being since itll just run hotter than it should which reduces the power supply's lifespan, not the synth's.

I sold mine years ago. I made samples of it though.

Thanks for the tips! For editing, I plan on using the instrument profile someone already made for the Cirklon, so it shouldn't be too much of a pain. Was looking for info on a factory reset, but I haven't found it yet.
warmtape
Heavenly3lues wrote:
On some kits, when I'm sending a MIDI loop, say a simple 4 bar loop, randomly some MIDI notes will drop out and it won't play a sound. It's almost as if it's randomizing the kit and dropping the notes out to give it some variation. I know my Cirklon is still sending the MIDI and I can see on the unit it's still receiving MIDI.

this happened to me. try turning off midi clock.
that fixed it for me.
SOPiiAC
warmtape wrote:
Heavenly3lues wrote:
On some kits, when I'm sending a MIDI loop, say a simple 4 bar loop, randomly some MIDI notes will drop out and it won't play a sound. It's almost as if it's randomizing the kit and dropping the notes out to give it some variation. I know my Cirklon is still sending the MIDI and I can see on the unit it's still receiving MIDI.

that fixed it for me.

It's gotta be something like that. I use my Airbase 99 with Cirklon with no skipping issues.
acidbob
If you are changing kits with midi, it will drop notes or play the wrong sounds, as said, try turning off the clock and velocity and see if that does the trick.
Still have mine, so if you need direct help, write me a PM
Heavenly3lues
warmtape wrote:
Heavenly3lues wrote:

that fixed it for me.

Thanks!
Heavenly3lues
acidbob wrote:
If you are changing kits with midi, it will drop notes or play the wrong sounds, as said, try turning off the clock and velocity and see if that does the trick.
Still have mine, so if you need direct help, write me a PM

Thanks for offering your help! I'll start with turning off clock and velocity and see where that gets me :-)
Heavenly3lues
EDIT: Figured it out
acidbob
How did you fix it?
tIB
Turn off midi clock.
Heavenly3lues
acidbob wrote:
How did you fix it?

Oops... My "edit" note was to another question I asked and couldn't delete after I figured it right out! I wasn't getting audio out of the BD and SD outputs, but it was an issue with routing in my new studio space. I actually only had a chance to play it one more time, as I'm moving into a completely new studio space and re-cabling everything. I completely forgot to turn off the MIDI clock, as suggested, because I was only focused on getting my audio routed and not playing the last time I was in there!
Notron fn
So is it just me or are the eprom sockets on this beast a little obstinate?

I tried upgrading the os to 1.15 (yeah, I know—should have used the jazbase03 os) but managed to bend and snap a pin off.

Any tips for a successful insertion?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1