MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intel core i9 for tomorrow's plugins / VSTs ???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Intel core i9 for tomorrow's plugins / VSTs ???
mafouka
Overkill or sweet spots ahoy??

Discuss
adam
i'd go for a ryzen, some zippy ones about to come out
ignatius
it's not the software you need to worry about. it's hardware compatibility. USB chips, thunderbolt etc. if your devices don't play nice w/the ports on the motherboard it doesn't matter how much power you have. there's a lot of info on this in gearslutz computer forum. people havig issues w/thunderbolt audio devices in certain configurations.

so, i think the thing to do is find that compromise of "new fast" vs "fast enough and compatible"

the things that have been out for a bit are generally easier to troubleshoot and configure for an audio set up.

that being said the processors out are super fast already. the i9 and ryzen stuff is really really capable of doing so much with a windows system obviously.

there's a GS thread in the computer subforum called "Today we build a studio PC" or something like that.. and it's full of good info for building custom audio workstation.
calaveras
IME today's computers are more than fast enough to run a bunch of plugins without sweating too much.
The pain points are sample playback for multisampled stuff especically.
And of course, if you insist on running your DAW at lowest possible latency you are going to be constrained in the number of plugins.

I see little difference in the number of plugins and softsynths I can use on my 3.5ghz 6 core Mac and my 2.2ghz 4 core.
Funky40
wanted to buy a new PC end 2018/early 2019.
wanted a Ryzen setup first, but some surfing showed me that a i9/9900k, overclocked to 4,9ghz (or 5ghz) would be the way to go. ( vs. 16core Ryzen )
ESPECIALLY if SMALL buffer sizes are from interest !!!
Buffers from 256samples and especially: *up*: the Big AMDs could be something. Buffers at 256 or lower: i9/9900.
*thats just the conclution i ended with* ! nothing more !
( state: end last year )

calaveras wrote:

I see little difference in the number of plugins and softsynths I can use on my 3.5ghz 6 core Mac and my 2.2ghz 4 core.

really ?

i use a 2012 macmini, 2,6ghz,i7, quad,
and could easily eat double or triple the CPU power.
Just for FX !
......running ONLY 1 VST-instrument, everything else is the FX behind it ! ( parallel tracks) . "live playing" .
Bringing buffers down to 512 or 256 or 128 would be then another question plus the next level of performance boost i´d had to have beside above.
No clue how todays top machines do compare with my 2012 mac and what the numbers are (?)

But i decided that the most important factor for me is to have the mac trackpad/good ergonomy.........so,....
UltraViolet
The different in performance of most current consumer CPU's is not really that great especially on single core applications. Compared to older stuff they are amazingly fast. Compared to GPUs (for parallel applications) they are quite slow. For our use, as was said above, the peripherals and interfaces may make a bigger difference.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1