MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I repaired an old drum machine and made a video. More?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author I repaired an old drum machine and made a video. More?
äggmedskägg
I got some stuff that need repairs/refurbs, and I finally got around to it. I made a blog post last time (Tascam M-2524 mixer) but that was a lot of work. So I tried a video this time, I like that better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-zLKOLN8ys

Now, question is, does anybody want a video for any of the other things I need to fix? It's a Fostex A-8LR tape multitrack, a Roland Space Echo, an OSC Oscar, and I think my TR-909 needs an overhaul, or at least a proper clean. :-)

Tell me if any of that is of interest.
spacessound
always love seeing inside old gear nanners
Shrigg
I'd love to see an OSCar teardown video
calaveras
those Muji screwdrivers are great.
äggmedskägg
calaveras wrote:
those Muji screwdrivers are great.

Yeah, best ones I've ever had. After the box got old and broke on the first ones I got in the 80's (or maybe early 90's), I bought another set a few years ago. :-)
äggmedskägg
Shrigg wrote:
I'd love to see an OSCar teardown video

OK, I will definitely do that one then. It's amongst the last on my list, because it's a big project and I'm also worried that I'll break it. :-) But it'll come.
ExtrasensoryPerception
Lovely video. i'd enjoy more...always curious about what's inside the box!
hw408
TR909 video would be very nice. we're not worthy
CosmicFlight
Interesting video cool
Yeah 909 and Space Echo please
calaveras
I should have made a vid of the TSR24 I upgraded over the weekend.
I was surprised that it was all through hole, and had a number of whacky circuit revisions that involved passive components and trimmers just kind of stuck together like you might see inside an electric guitar, or an amp from the 60's. Odd to see that on a digital multieffects from 30 years ago.
But it was super easy to swap the crystal and the firmware.
äggmedskägg
Quote:
I was surprised that it was all through hole

Yeah, surface mounted things were only used for real mass production things back then. Or if you needed it to be small. By the mid 90's the company I worked for then started making SMD boards even for the small run stuff we were doing, because by then you couldn't get processors in DIP packages any more. Too many pins. :-)

Quote:
TR909 video would be very nice.

Will do. That will take time though, and markusfuller already did a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxp0UHyXpE
monads
One issue to be cautious of when servicing the TR-909 is the connector cables that are connected to the keypad/buttons PCB. Roland soldered one end of the cables directly to the board. This is not normally a problem except from old age and when you try to service this board the cables can get in the way and worse become unsoldered!!! Trying to resolder them can be a nightmare. I actually removed them. Soldered connectors (like on the main PCB) to the board and made a connector on the other end of the existing cable. So now the cables can easily be disconnected and reconnected!
jabberwalky
Cool video! All those trimmers! Great sound on the early Vermona stuff. I've had some experience repairing the Korg Minipops3/SR-120. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Early Korg has a very "garage built" feel.

I'm all for anyone making repair videos!
äggmedskägg
monads wrote:
One issue to be cautious of when servicing the TR-909 is the connector cables that are connected to the keypad/buttons PCB.

Thanks for the headsup! If they cause any trouble I'll do the same!

jabberwalky wrote:
Early Korg has a very "garage built" feel.

Somehow I'm not surprised.
äggmedskägg
Next video is up now, short and perhaps not very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hfNX_IooUs

Working on the Fostex A8-LR 8 track now, that will be more substantial, but will take a few weeks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1