MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intellijel vs Make Noise 7U cases
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Intellijel vs Make Noise 7U cases
Scott M2
Hi, I'm sure this has been discussed before but with Search not working I'd appreciate your patience.

I'm going to buy my first suitcase rack - and lightness (and blackness) is important to me. Both the Intellijel Stealth and the Make Noise 7u cases seem light enough but I'm having a hard time making a final choice.

Both cases are black so that's perfect but the Intellijel 1U modules are only white - so I'll have to cook up my own black panels unless there's good alt versions out there that I haven't learned about. I like the Make Noise layout, with the 1U in the center, so the top row can keep the top knobs more open and playable. Does anyone know if the 1U in the Intellijel can be moved to the middle without a lot of hassle?

Power. I have a few Aira modules that will certainly be early inhabitants of the new suitcase, so I have concerns that the Make Noise won't cover my needs. I have also read that the Make Noise power isn't as clean as the Intellijel. Can anyone speak to the truth of that? Also - can the Make Noise power system be easily replaced with something stronger/cleaner?

Thanks for any insights you might have to this topic!
Robota
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215482&highlight=

Mr. Green
Scott M2
Robota wrote:

Mr. Green

Thank you! That answers many (tho not all) of my questions!
Dragonaut
I can't imagine sticking Aira modules in the Make Noise case. You'll be out of power in no time. One thing I haven't seen answered is whether the Make Noise has reverse power or over voltage protection. That stuff is what really makes the Intellijel worthwhile IMO.
Scott M2
Dragonaut wrote:
I can't imagine sticking Aira modules in the Make Noise case. You'll be out of power in no time. One thing I haven't seen answered is whether the Make Noise has reverse power or over voltage protection. That stuff is what really makes the Intellijel worthwhile IMO.

Thanks. Until they get squeezed out by future modules, I'd like to plant at least 3 of my Airas in the case (and always a Demora) so that's big points for the Intellijel.
cackland
Scott M2 wrote:
Robota wrote:

Mr. Green

What questions does that thread not answer?
Sinamsis
The audio and MIDI jacks on the Intellijel case won me over. Didn't even consider the Make Noise case. Also I didn't seem mentioned but the built in legs on the Intellijel case is nice, and the ability to stack cases in the Intellijel 7Us is awesome. Another point not mentioned is availability. I'm guessing the Intellijel cases are in demand, but they certainly are hard to find these days. That said I think in the next few weeks at least some retailers will be restocking.
Scott M2
cackland wrote:
Scott M2 wrote:
Robota wrote:

Mr. Green

What questions does that thread not answer?

Mainly the questions about modifying the cases:

Can the Intellijel 1U be moved to the middle without radical work on the case?
(For instance - I was able to examine the Make Noise case with a friendly salesperson and we were able to verify that you can easily take the middle 1U section and rotate it 180 degrees, so you can have the handle at the top of the case and then it can stand up on its end after one applies a couple of sticky feet to balance it. I want to be able to stand the case up on a shelf when it's home.) I have not been able to examine the inside of an Intelligel case to see about moving the 1U to the middle. It's not the end of the world - but it would work better for me like that.

Is it a big deal to change the power supply on the Make Noise to a more powerful one? Is the Make Noise power supply not particularly clean or did I mis-read that?

Is there anybody out there who makes black 1Us that fit the Intellijel or black replacement panels for the Intellijel 1Us?

Thanks again for the link!
Scott M2
Sinamsis wrote:
The audio and MIDI jacks on the Intellijel case won me over. Didn't even consider the Make Noise case. Also I didn't seem mentioned but the built in legs on the Intellijel case is nice, and the ability to stack cases in the Intellijel 7Us is awesome. Another point not mentioned is availability. I'm guessing the Intellijel cases are in demand, but they certainly are hard to find these days. That said I think in the next few weeks at least some retailers will be restocking.

I agree - The built-in interface elements are a big plus. I do worry a bit about getting caught in the rain (since the ports are on the top) if I don't have "the case for the case" - but I could slip it into a garbage bag or hold it upside down under my arm. Whatever it takes!

That's good news about forthcoming availability, since I hope to purchase something soon.
Trebbers
Scott M2 wrote:

Hard to say as the place where you'd have to drill/screw in the moved rail is near the leg release mechanism. I'm not following you w/r/t the position of the 1u row having to do with being able to stand on its side. Even if you add feet, it's not heavy or deep enough to patch that way unless it's otherwise secured.

Scott M2 wrote:

Is it a big deal to change the power supply on the Make Noise to a more powerful one? Is the Make Noise power supply not particularly clean or did I mis-read that?

The biggest issue in switching to another supply would be needing to drill new mounting holes for the busboard. I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money on a case not intending to use the power, though.
Trebbers
Scott M2 wrote:

I agree - The built-in interface elements are a big plus. I do worry a bit about getting caught in the rain (since the ports are on the top) if I don't have "the case for the case" - but I could slip it into a garbage bag or hold it upside down under my arm. Whatever it takes!

FYI the lid on the case doesn't make a seal and I wouldn't trust the case to protect the modules from moisture from any angle. I'm not sure if the gig bag offers any actual waterproofing either, actually.
Scott M2
Trebbers wrote:
Scott M2 wrote:

Hard to say as the place where you'd have to drill/screw in the moved rail is near the leg release mechanism. I'm not following you w/r/t the position of the 1u row having to do with being able to stand on its side. Even if you add feet, it's not heavy or deep enough to patch that way unless it's otherwise secured.

Scott M2 wrote:

The biggest issue in switching to another supply would be needing to drill new mounting holes for the busboard. I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money on a case not intending to use the power, though.

The 1U 180 degree flip was only referring to the Make Noise case, which normally has its handle on the bottom.

I'm hoping either case will stand safely with its back to the wall (in my studio only). Otherwise I may need to make a little safety loop to attach to the handle.

Thanks for your insights to the Intellijel modification.

Thanks also for your thoughts on the power supply and on the lack of moisure resistance. The Make Noise looks slightly better in the "lack of holes" department, but the Intellijel power seems like a strong trump card.
reppiks
I’ve got a black Intellijel stealth case and am moving to an all-black system. For my 1U Intellijel modules I’m painting the panels black with a matte black spray paint, works a treat! They look really smart. I’m applying some masking tape over any markings/labels that I need kept on the design, but some are fine mostly or all black (mults, headphones out). Much cheaper and easier and faster then thinking about custom panels, and I really think they look great. For symmetrical panels (ie in terms of holes) you can paint on the reverse side so they can be flipped back to original in the future if needed.
Scott M2
reppiks wrote:
I’ve got a black Intellijel stealth case and am moving to an all-black system. For my 1U Intellijel modules I’m painting the panels black with a matte black spray paint, works a treat! They look really smart. I’m applying some masking tape over any markings/labels that I need kept on the design, but some are fine mostly or all black (mults, headphones out). Much cheaper and easier and faster then thinking about custom panels, and I really think they look great. For symmetrical panels (ie in terms of holes) you can paint on the reverse side so they can be flipped back to original in the future if needed.

Cool! I'd love to see some photos when you're ready.
reppiks
Scott M2 wrote:

I’m hoping to finish up this week so will try to remember to post some pics here!
versipellis
I cross-shopped a whole bunch of the 7U cases, including Tiptop, MN, and NoiseEng, went for the Intellijel one at the end of the day because you simply can't beat Intellijel's utility tiles. Not having to sacrifice 1U tiles or HP for power or jacks.

Scott M2 wrote:

If you're getting caught in the rain, you'll have much bigger issues to worry about. None of these cases are weather-sealed. And if you're getting caught in the rain with a eurorack case.. what are you doing?!

The "lack of holes" shouldn't be your consideration, quite frankly, unless you *absolutely must bring your eurorack to Burning Man*, in which case, be prepared to sacrifice your whole rack. If you need water resistance, get a proper bag or flightcase for it.

Regarding moving the rails, it looks like the 1U rails are secured by way of screws on the side. I don't know how you plan to punch and tap a hole through the side of the case after it's been assembled, but it looks possible. I have no clue if there's loctite in there, though.
Scott M2
versipellis wrote:

If you're getting caught in the rain, you'll have much bigger issues to worry about. None of these cases are weather-sealed. And if you're getting caught in the rain with a eurorack case.. what are you doing?!

Thanks for all your insights Versipellis. With regard to getting caught in the rain, I'm thinking about loading in or out at a show or a jam - with the car not-too-close or via city transit. (I currently use a Waldorf kb37 and move it (fully patched) to and from the car in a garbage bag. It actually works pretty well, but it's definitely not a solution for transit.) smile
Scott M2
Thanks for everyone's insights. I've just put down a deposit on an Intellijel 7U 104hp Stealth Black (of course)!
Videographics
Scott M2 wrote:
Thanks for everyone's insights. I've just put down a deposit on an Intellijel 7U 104hp Stealth Black (of course)!

If you want to keep it nice, you may want to add Intellijel’s Gig Bag to your order. I love mine. It’s really well made.

https://intellijel.com/shop/cases/gig-bag-7u-84hp-104hp/

In fact, it was the availability of such a nice ‘case for a case’ that was a big factor in my decision to go with the Intellijel 7U.
Scott M2
Videographics wrote:
Scott M2 wrote:

If you want to keep it nice, you may want to add Intellijel’s Gig Bag to your order. I love mine. It’s really well made.

https://intellijel.com/shop/cases/gig-bag-7u-84hp-104hp/

In fact, it was the availability of such a nice ‘case for a case’ that was a big factor in my decision to go with the Intellijel 7U.

Thanks for the advice. It's way less expensive than the case I just bought for my Nord Lead 3 too!
pinhole_sunrise
Scott M2 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. It's way less expensive than the case I just bought for my Nord Lead 3 too!

Not to get too far off base, is your Nord Lead 3 the module version and if so which case did you wind up with?
Videographics
One more follow up on the gig bag recommendation. You can get a nice outer cover made for any case — including the MakeNoise — from Studio Slips. https://studioslips.com/ They recently made a couple custom gig bags for me and were great to work with. (I don’t get anything from it but you can tell Susan you were recommended by her recent SF Bay Area Hammond XK-5 order.)
rbhansen
Scott M2 wrote:
reppiks wrote:

Would love to see some pics as well!

Also, if you botch the paint job too badly, Intellijel sells faceplates by themselves (see the Support tab on their site) if you want to have another go.
Scott M2
pinhole_sunrise wrote:
Scott M2 wrote:

Not to get too far off base, is your Nord Lead 3 the module version and if so which case did you wind up with?

My Nord Lead 3 is the keyboard version and the case I bought was like the link here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordGB49--nord-soft-case-for-4 9-key-keyboards
I have to protect all those wonderful knobs!
scragz
Scott M2 wrote:
pinhole_sunrise wrote:
Scott M2 wrote:

My Nord Lead 3 is the keyboard version and the case I bought was like the link here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordGB49--nord-soft-case-for-4 9-key-keyboards
I have to protect all those wonderful knobs!

I finally scored one of those on ebay for my NL2 a few months back. Very very nice case. It was in an unpadded gig bag for the longest time and luckily never got smashed since I did gig with it a fair amount.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2