MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY panel material question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY panel material question
Shakespeare
I'm attempting to have a front panel made for my beloved Sloths module, so that it looks more akin to a Mutable module (which is what makes up most of my system)... having one black front panel in a sea of silver/gray makes me Dead Banana

Being a DIY noob, I'm not sure what panel material I should go with to make the panel color/texture most closely match that look. Am I looking at anodized aluminum, powder coated aluminum, brushed anodized aluminum, or something else?

Was planning to go with Front Panel Express unless someone has a better idea.
joem
I don't have the answers you want, but I'd be curious what your design looks like if you're trying to match the styles. I think that could be a fun design challenge.... remaking other modules panels in the style of a Mutable module.
tioJim
Shakespeare wrote:
I'm attempting to have a front panel made for my beloved Sloths module, so that it looks more akin to a Mutable module (which is what makes up most of my system)... having one black front panel in a sea of silver/gray makes me Dead Banana

Being a DIY noob, I'm not sure what panel material I should go with to make the panel color/texture most closely match that look. Am I looking at anodized aluminum, powder coated aluminum, brushed anodized aluminum, or something else?

Was planning to go with Front Panel Express unless someone has a better idea.

In case you're not aware, all the CAD files for Mutable hardware (including front panels) are in the Mutable GitHub repos.

It won't help you with specific materials but there's lots of artwork there for reference/pinching

https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack
Shakespeare
Yup, have that linked already smile

Spoke with Hannes over email, and the challenge will be that the place Mutable uses won't do one-offs, so actually matching materials will be impossible... but FPE should be able to do a reasonable facsimile for my purposes, using their graphic printing process.
Shakespeare
The experiment came out pretty well!

[/img]
cackland
Looks good. Assuming you went with FPE?

What did it end up costing?
Shakespeare
Yes, FPE. It was around $50... but a good chunk of that was shipping, which they did not have a reasonable option for (which is just silly). Still, very high quality, so I'm pleased.
cackland
Yeah those one offs can be pricey.
retoid
Nice work, it turned out really nice!
Shakespeare
Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1