MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSF Tool Box Switch At Audio Rates
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author SSF Tool Box Switch At Audio Rates
Dragonaut
Hey everybody, wondering if someone can answer this inquiry: are there audible clicks/pops when using the switch on the SSF Tool Box at audio rates? Also, what are some good, small hp switches for this purpose? I really like the look of the Tool Box since it can do a lot in a small footprint. Maybe I would just be better off using the crossfader on my Timber for this use but I'd rather be able to wavefold anything I come up with using this method rather than tie up the Timber. Thank you!
Footkerchief
I've had great results using the Doepfer A-150 for audio-rate wave-splicing (full disclosure -- also selling it for unrelated reasons). As far as I could tell, it didn't introduce any noise beyond the inherent sharp edges introduced by jumping between waveforms. PWMing the square wave that controls the switching can produce some really neat timbral transitions.
Dragonaut
Ok, cool. Thanks for your response. I read that some circuits have a built in crossfading function to help smooth things out a bit.
Artaos
Using a crossfader with, for example, a triangle wave CV, or a slewed square wave, would produce smoother transitions than with a pure switch. Staying in the same family, I really like the SSF Blender crossfader.
Dragonaut
Thanks for the suggestion and tip. The Timber isn't giving me quite the result I imagined so far but I'll give that some experimentation.
hinterlands303
Dragonaut wrote:
Hey everybody, wondering if someone can answer this inquiry: are there audible clicks/pops when using the switch on the SSF Tool Box at audio rates? Also, what are some good, small hp switches for this purpose? I really like the look of the Tool Box since it can do a lot in a small footprint. Maybe I would just be better off using the crossfader on my Timber for this use but I'd rather be able to wavefold anything I come up with using this method rather than tie up the Timber. Thank you!

Do you mean doing the actual switching at audio rates or just switching between audio signals?
Artaos
Dragonaut wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion and tip. The Timber isn't giving me quite the result I imagined so far but I'll give that some experimentation.

In which way is the result with Timber's crossfader not what you want?
Dragonaut
hinterlands303 wrote:

Do you mean doing the actual switching at audio rates or just switching between audio signals?

Switching between audio waveforms at audio rates to create hybrid waveforms.

I’m coming up with some useful stuff, it’s just a more subtle effect than I imagined sometimes. I’ve just started playing around with it though.
MindMachine
Try the newish little Doepfer A-184-2 you get a crossfader and a waveshaper.
Dragonaut
Ah, now there’s a nice suggestion! Using the cross fader on Timber is starting to give me some really nice stuff. Crossfading between two FMed waveforms from Rubicon and Dixie is giving me some Hollywood level sci-fi sound effects.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1