MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

iPad for effects - maybe a stupid question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author iPad for effects - maybe a stupid question
Moon Indigo
This may be a stupid question, but is there any reason I couldn’t get a small iPad (day an iPad mini 3), run some kind of vst skin on it, connect a small and simple interface, and use the iPad for effects (eg from an Octatrack or modular effects send).

I’d like to run say Valhalla, glitchmachines, or unfiltered plug ins.

What are my options?

Thanks!
Grumble

I use this, together with this:

To connect my ipad air 2 to a midi input on my synth.[/img]
Panason
yeah but the question is about using VSTs and audio.
Grumble
Ah ok, so stupid answer very frustrating sorry
Phil999
there are a couple of solutions to extend the desktop with an iPad, using the iPad screen as external monitor where you can position your plugin UI and interact via touchscreen. The best is probably the app called Duet Display that connects to the computer via charging cable which is in my opinion a better solution than wifi. All these apps are, to my knowledge, mono-touch, but that's quite usable.
Moon Indigo
Phil999 wrote:
there are a couple of solutions to extend the desktop with an iPad, using the iPad screen as external monitor where you can position your plugin UI and interact via touchscreen. The best is probably the app called Duet Display that connects to the computer via charging cable which is in my opinion a better solution than wifi. All these apps are, to my knowledge, mono-touch, but that's quite usable.

I am looking for standalone options. I would have thought that by now iPads have the processing power to run say valhalla plugins?
CosmicFlight
AUM for Ipad
then
Aufx
Flux Fx
Audio damage
Fabfilter..
Moon Indigo
CosmicFlight wrote:
AUM for Ipad
then
Aufx
Flux Fx
Audio damage
Fabfilter..

Ok, cool. Questions:

1. iPad mini 4 are pretty affordable, will I be able to run multiple instances of plugins?
2. Do ordinary .au's (i.e. for OSX) work with AUM?
3. What is a good very small audio interface for ipad?
4. Are there latency problems?

I would like to run valhalla plugins, unfilterest audio, maybe glitchmachines.
mckenic
AFAIK the AU has to be ported to iOS. You cant just use Desktop AUs on your iPad (I use an iConnectivity Audio 4+ but then thats not stand alone).
CF3
Moon Indigo wrote:
1. iPad mini 4 are pretty affordable, will I be able to run multiple instances of plugins?
2. Do ordinary .au's (i.e. for OSX) work with AUM?
3. What is a good very small audio interface for ipad?
4. Are there latency problems?

1. Depends on the app/au. The best and baddest ipad you can afford is advisable.
2. NO. Just iOS specific apps/au’s you buy from the Apps Store.
3. Very good? RME Babyface Pro. But any class compliant USB one will work (hopefully).
4. Of course there are. Just like all computers. Results may vary.
Phil999
Moon Indigo wrote:

I am looking for standalone options. I would have thought that by now iPads have the processing power to run say valhalla plugins?

I understand now what you want. As mentioned already, you cannot 'load' any AU from Mac into a different operating system, of course. It has to be a specific AU for iOS, optimised for touch screens.

So your question is, are there good effect apps on iOS. The answer is yes. DDMF, Virsyn, AAS, Moog, Pioneer, PSP, Fabfilter, Audio Damage, Sugarbytes, etc. have ported some of their desktop plugins to iOS. And there are a couple of developers who release good effect apps on this platform only (some port them to desktop operating systems because the demand is there). So it makes a lot of sense to use an iPad or even an iPhone for effects if you have an audio interface.

Now the Valhalla reverb you are asking for ... I don't know if there is an equivalent in iOS, but certainly there must be one. I rarely use reverb, so I can't advice. I only know of tape reverb emulations, reverb network, and other rather exotic apps, these are the ones I use.

You may check out the Audiobus forum, there are surely a dozen threads about reverb apps.

https://forum.audiob.us

And Discchord

https://discchord.com
Moon Indigo
Thanks all. I now know that what I want to
do is possible.

The next questions are:

1. What is a very small, affordable audio interference for iOS? Preferably one that just clips on the iPad.

2. Is anyone getting great results with effects on an iPad mini 3?
mckenic
If your not averse to the B word these are great and cost about 20 quid. I have 2 -

I continue to get wonderful results (for what I want to do) with a 4th gen iPad iOS 7 and Turnado, csSpectral, AUFX:Space, The Amazing Noises Reverb, Effectrix, FLUX:FX and UFX:Dub.

All quite doable and quite an initial headflip using touch controls to interact with stuff your brain tells you to reach for the mouse for. Lots of fun!
Phil999
Moon Indigo wrote:

2. Is anyone getting great results with effects on an iPad mini 3?

I'm not up to date with all these numerous iPad versions, but it is better to have one with a 64-bit CPU which will run higher iOS versions. Several good apps don't run on older 32-bit iPads.

However there are still a lot of older apps that run on older iPads. I have an iPad 2nd gen with a Tascam iU2 interface (audio and MIDI) right next to my modular system, mostly as an oscilloscope and MIDI sequencer. But it also serves as a convolution reverb, frequency shifter, and delay.
crawling wind
Get the best you can afford. You will probably want to branch out when you realize how cool it is, and have a new avenue of GAS to explore. Look around on https://swappa.com for great deals.
eclectics
For audio interface I like the zoom u-24. it can do direct monitoring, and you also get midi din which can be handy -- ipad fx can generally be controlled with midi. It's not super small.
You may also find midi audio units useful-- the rozetta plugins add some useful midi stuff which can be used for lfo/sequence control of fx in interesting ways.
Moon Indigo
This is cheap and small:

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfac es/UM2/p/P0AVV#googtrans(en|en)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1