MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help me fill this 6 HP gap I just freed in my 6U system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Help me fill this 6 HP gap I just freed in my 6U system
joeSeggiola
Hi. I just found a MFB OSC-02 to replace my OSC-03 (since I never use its mixer section), so my mind has quickly begin thinking how to fill that 6 HP space to spice up the system.

Here's my 6U Rackbrute: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/695484

My mainly thought is to add a wavefolder, I got eyes on the WMD/SSF Ultrafold. Or maybe another filter: I already got two, but the LxD it's so nice I could take another. But really, any idea you have looking at the rack is welcome, especially if it's something unexpected or peculiar. I think I'm all set with utilities, but maybe I should get a dedicated attenuator (Shades, Triatt or WMD/SFF SPO) to free up Maths, or a sequential switch...

My focus is on pulsating ambient textures, minimal techno, drones, generative patches...

PS: there's a Minibrute 2 sitting below that rack, so consider I already have another complete voice, sequencer, arpeggiator and a couple LFO.

Thanks!
sko87pro
Quote:
My focus is on pulsating ambient textures, minimal techno, drones, generative patches...

How about Evaton CLX, it makes nice organic sequences of pulses? Although it seems you like more dense modules, based on your rack above.

It’s on my list.
cptnal
I see a Happy Nerding 3X MIA in your future...

If you're after a switch you already have Shifty and Stages - both can serve.
insoul8
Why not wait until there is something you need to do that you can't? Then buy that module.
windspirit
<self promotion> Mystic Circuits Tree is a 6HP sequential seitch that also does gate sequencing and has a some unique features </self promotion>

joeSeggiola
Thanks for all your suggestions.

sko87pro wrote:
How about Evaton CLX, it makes nice organic sequences of pulses.

Cool, I didn't knew this manufacturer. However I have already a lot of potential clock sources, and dividers and VCA to combine them into polythmic patterns.

cptnal wrote:
I see a Happy Nerding 3X MIA in your future...

That's really interesting. I missed this one while searching for attenuverters/offset. Maybe I like the design less than Quadratt or Shades, but this surely has more features / channels packed in. This is a great candidate, I'll put it together with Ultrafold in the list.

insoul8 wrote:
Why not wait until there is something you need to do that you can't? Then buy that module.

True, but I really can't stand the empty space there. I'm sure I know how to make good use of every single thing we mentioned here. I'm using the system for a while, and I know I could get new drones with a wavefolder, I know I could use some more attenuators, etc... Yes, I don't absolutely need them, but that new empty space is an opportunity to explore a little more.

windspirit wrote:
Mystic Circuits Tree is a 6HP sequential switch that also does gate sequencing and has a some unique features

As cptnal reminded me, Stages can do switching, and I think I'm good also for gates sequencing (SQ-1). Thanks anyway, I put the video on watch later, I'm curios about the idea behind it.
JohnLRice
Definitely look at the whole Happy Nerding product line, lots of very nice and useful 6 HP modules! love The FM AID is a favorite of mine. thumbs up

Also consider this, if you take out the 1hp blank and move things around, instead of just one 6hp module you could put in a 3hp AND a 4hp module . . . or even just one 7hp module? hmmm.....
Bjarlstedt
uScale 2? It's so cheap nowadays since Scales is out. It's a lovely and quirky quantizer.
But I think I'd sell O'Tool and get Ears and a uRings, but it all depends how you use your gear. I've find myself absolutely love that combo, but that's me and might not be up your alley.
grep
Yeah, I would want a quantizer for generative patches.
VM
Kith Ruina. Ruins all the Keith. EQ/Drive in 4 HP.
bradpickapiper
i don't see any Wavefolders.... wavefolders are the best!
i would recommend Intellijel uFold... i have 3!
mgallagher641
If you do want a wavefolder, the Ultrafold is great. I have it, and it is really good for techno. Less so for ambient I would say.

I don't have the uFold so can't compare, but I did look at a lot of demos of them both and take advice on these two when I was buying. What I gathered is that the uFold is a more straight vanilla folder, with less low end, whereas the Ultrafold is a bit more warm/fuzzy. It is quite unpredictable - you have to play around to find the sweet spots - but once you find them, awesome.
Joe.
Why do you have a racked SQ1 taking up so muck space? seriously, i just don't get it
joeSeggiola
Thanks!

JohnLRice wrote:
Definitely look at the whole Happy Nerding product line, lots of very nice and useful 6 HP modules!

Thanks, very interesting. I don't know much of HN. Anyway the 3x MIA is probably still the most interesting for me, at the moment.

Bjarlstedt wrote:
uScale 2? It's so cheap nowadays since Scales is out. It's a lovely and quirky quantizer. But I think I'd sell O'Tool and get Ears and a uRings, but it all depends how you use your gear.

I've already bought Scales for a portable 3U 48 HP case, to pair with Chord v2 and some Erica Synth Pico utilities. These two modules are the only I immediately wanted a second after they were announced. That case is meant for different type of sound, more like music theory explorations and wavetables fun, but nothing stops me from borrowing it for special occasions smile

grep wrote:
Yeah, I would want a quantizer for generative patches.

I get it, but the fact that I like to play on the MiniBrute 2 physical keyboard never urged me to get a quantizer for this system.

VM wrote:
Kith Ruina. Ruins all the Keith. EQ/Drive in 4 HP.

And that's the third that goes up my candidates list. Super nice, and something I never though about. thanks!

bradpickapiper wrote:
i don't see any Wavefolders.... wavefolders are the best! i would recommend Intellijel uFold... i have 3!

Yep, in fact a wavefolder was my initial though, and it's still with the top candidates. I'm more on the WMD/SSF Ultrafold, but I've also looked at uFold videos. It looked less flexible to me, what made you bought three instead of trying other ones?

mgallagher641 wrote:
If you do want a wavefolder, the Ultrafold is great. I have it, and it is really good for techno. Less so for ambient I would say.

Why? I mean, is it really so aggressive that's hard to use it for lush and background sounds, also if fed with sines and triangles and slightly modulated? I will take this opportunity to ask you: can Ultrafold folds also CV signals, like slow LFO?

Joe. wrote:
Why do you have a racked SQ1 taking up so muck space?

I don't need that space right now, it's my first system and I'm still exploring it to bring out its full potential. As of now, I can't tell how I'd like to fill 38 HP. Also, I really like the idea of having everything organized inside the same case, without more power cables and moving parts. The little space on the desk where the system sits is already taken by the mixer, recorder, a paper notebook, etc...
lisa
If you are going for a folder then do check out OverFolder by Vinicius Electrik.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vinicius-elektrik-overfolder
SOPiiAC
JohnLRice wrote:
Also consider this, if you take out the 1hp blank and move things around, instead of just one 6hp module you could put in a 3hp AND a 4hp module . . . or even just one 7hp module? hmmm.....

I agree with this!

Full disclosure: I think it would drive my OCD mad to not have all the useful modules filling out the entire hp-span.
sko87pro
If considering a wave folder, Bastl Timber must be a candidate. It’s a highly regarded take on a Serge circuit. And it’s 7HP too!

https://bastl-instruments.com/eurorack/modules/timber

I don’t own this but interested.
Godphaser
Not a wavefolder but in 6hp you have the WMD/SSF Tool-Box.
Tonescape
bradpickapiper wrote:
i don't see any Wavefolders.... wavefolders are the best!
i would recommend Intellijel uFold... i have 3!

Totally agree cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1