MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adding character to recording tone - Home studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Adding character to recording tone - Home studio
Birth_Chord
I'm a recording noob when it comes to hardware... Absolutely no idea about any of the industry's standards or historical recording gear. All I've used are PreSonus audio interfaces... Right now I have a PreSonus Studio 18|24 which has supposedly completely transparent and uncharacteristic preamps... I usually record at 96kHz+ for my analog synths and my guitar. Everything else I use basically consists of 44.1kHz samples.

When looking to add character to a tone in very small home studio, is that really all the matters mainlyfor guitar, the preamps? (Outside of the guitar and its pickups) I have my pedal chain going right into the XMAC preamps on the interface. I know there are a lot of plugins likely able to add character but I don't understand how musicians go about creating an instantly identifiable sound (money..?)...

Adam Jones from Tool produces my favorite guitar sound ever...Blasting out of some expensive ass Marshalls though if I recall correctly, instantly identifiable to me. For my taste I think Eric Clapton and Santana are two others who have identifiable and highly desirable tones... This changes per person of course as to what an individual deems identifiable.

Is there any sort of budget option available to liven up the tone even a little?

I was considering this PreSonus Tube Preamp, has lots of solid reviews and might be able to characterize my tone a bit? https://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSSTUDIOCHANNEL?siid=62976

I had a tube amp back in high school but it was nothing special. I know that can get insanely good sounding though.

I also have a preamp pedal I mess with a bit, but it's digital. Sounds alright though, also has an option to enable what it'd sound like through a cab. It's the Mooer 007 based on the Regal Tone amp.
slumberjack
i'd get me a nice di-box (balances and controls the uncertanity that comes with pedals such as hum) and a proper preamp or channel strip (neve-, api-, ssl alike). there are various ways to go. you could get a small 500 lunchbox with 4 slots or a di-box with preamp build in (summit audio, radial), 19" rackmount solution like dbx 376 and a active di-box. prepare to spend at least around 800...
BenA718
A great way to add some character and coloration with synths is to mic them. You can use a guitar amp, guitar amp with pedals, or even powered monitors; the microphone and room will take care of the rest.

I am a big fan of using a guitar amp and iso cab for recording synths.

You don’t need an expensive mic to do this, even an SM57 will work, though I prefer to use a large diaphragm condenser mic. By placing the mic in different positions in relation to the speaker cabinet, you can create a huge soundstage very easily without using a single plugin or outboard effect!

The further away the mic is, the more room sound you will get. You don’t need much, just a few inches in any direction can drastically alter where each synth sits in the soundstage. Using different microphones can also be used in the same way.

The best part is that it’s dead simple to replicate live — just play through the house PA.
cretaceousear
Sounds to me like you need a modelling amp or a multi fx box with modelling.
FX modelling boxes include the cheaper Zoom G3 or G5, Line6 M series, Helix (Line 6's Lexus type brand) which comes in multiple variants, and others more costly.
Amps include Fender Mustang series and loads of others.

Modelling builds a digital simulacrum of a real amp and speaker and using clever maths pushes your playing through that model. So you will get a load of sounds from a few button pushes - even before you add any multi fx pedal effects.
Or maybe get a digital amp with a tube tone, and multi fx, but not a modeller in the Boss Katana.

Me I have a Fender Mustang III amp, my mate has a Zoom G5 - both sound great. I DI the amp.
Birth_Chord
Thanks for the tips... I have a Zoom H6 recorder and a single mic. I figured it's always best to mic the amp but, I'm in a familial household and can't blast my shit constantly... I actually have two new PreSonus Eris E5s arriving tomorrow and I had a set of bongos arrive today... We'll see how that goes. I've been a headphones only type of person for a while but I can't do it anymore... They'll have to deal with a bit of noise smile
BenA718
I hear ya! I set aside my reamping days ahead of time for the same reason!
Birth_Chord
Luckily I do a lot of stuff from home throughout the day where I can sneak in sessions. Need to update my song template for recording in the DAW with my new setup to make it quicker...

Maybe a new amp isn’t out of the question hihi

We’ll see when the monitors arrive tomorrow... I’ll never really use another guitar besides Fender. Also a fan of their amps, however I’d love some Marshall...
felixer
as far as noise levels go: get a small 5 watt amp and a good cabinet. then mic that. no need for a 50 or even a 100 watt monster. depending on your taste you can get a variety of tubes/valves. or even a tranny one if you make your sound with pedals.maybe even get two cabinets: the sound of the speaker is key.
MindMachine
Two 'tone' adders that I use are an old Teac Tascam Model 2 Mixer w/ mic preamps and a Hotone Purple Wind Nano Amp. It is supposed to emulate a Plexi Super Lead. I also use an EH Knockout EQ pedal to dial stuff in.

All very affordable and flexible.
Koekepan
Ditto for the Zoom G3n.

I use them for guitars and desktop synths alike. They probably won't satisfy some monastic tube-strokers who live for the smell of hot electronics, but they do sound really good, and have plenty of tweakability for a very modest price.

And, just for the record, this isn't only about me sitting in my mom's basement with isolating headphones on, crying while tweaking knobs. I've used them live on stage, for video production and even as part of sound design chains. I've never had anyone, not even the pickiest sound editor, demand I use a Marshall or Orange or Mesa stack instead.
Birth_Chord
Koekepan wrote:
Ditto for the Zoom G3n.

I use them for guitars and desktop synths alike. They probably won't satisfy some monastic tube-strokers who live for the smell of hot electronics, but they do sound really good, and have plenty of tweakability for a very modest price.

And, just for the record, this isn't only about me sitting in my mom's basement with isolating headphones on, crying while tweaking knobs. I've used them live on stage, for video production and even as part of sound design chains. I've never had anyone, not even the pickiest sound editor, demand I use a Marshall or Orange or Mesa stack instead.

Thanks mate going to snag one. Already have an H6 for recording my acoustic instruments, fan of their products.
Birth_Chord
Thanks again everyone, this was just what I needed. $300 new. Insane amount of possibilities. Build quality seems rock solid. As an owner of the Zoom H6 I'm now a fan of their products.

I heard complains of the G5 -> G5n, some people didn't like the upgrade. To me, ignorance is bliss.

[/img]
Koekepan
Great stuff! You won't regret it, I'm sure (although for the same price I'd probably have snagged two G3ns ...)

By all means update it with the latest and greatest in patches from Zoom. There's good stuff in their updates.

Also, if you want something much cheaper and good for sticking on a send effect chain, consider the G1on. Last I saw, around $50. Set and forget, and just tweak your send levels to taste. I have three for exactly this purpose. Great way of putting some room reverb on drums while a string pad gets echo and particle reverb.
Birth_Chord
Koekepan wrote:
Great stuff! You won't regret it, I'm sure (although for the same price I'd probably have snagged two G3ns ...)

By all means update it with the latest and greatest in patches from Zoom. There's good stuff in their updates.

Also, if you want something much cheaper and good for sticking on a send effect chain, consider the G1on. Last I saw, around $50. Set and forget, and just tweak your send levels to taste. I have three for exactly this purpose. Great way of putting some room reverb on drums while a string pad gets echo and particle reverb.

Yea you’re right that probably would’ve been better, wasn’t thinking much but I do like having everything in a single unit (for now). Tweaking two of these would remind me too much of Elektron, I can’t do that to my guitar workflow lol. I’ll see what I can milk out of this before expanding. It’s so versatile, my first guitar pedal was back in high school, a Digitech RP55 or RP100, can’t remember. Tech had come a far way. Seems like a very solid Japanese design even though it’s made in China.

I think I’ll put the Polara reverb on my OB-6, see how that sounds...
BenA718
Nice! Have fun!
Birth_Chord
Thanks mate it might be too much fun! Here’s my official 2019 setup all powered up, minus a mono voice I need. Haven’t decided yet, leaning towards Toraiz AS-1

BenA718
Oh, that looks great! I think I recognize that skyline. smile
Birth_Chord
I'd love to live in the city, or near mountains...

I live in a place that's too congested to be rural and too rural to be a city. It's really a terrible in between. I like mountains, farms, hills... I like cities. I don't like a bunch of family neighborhoods near each other with some gas stations and grocery stores and everything else spread out over 10-15 miles with tons of people still living here somehow... Oh well. Maybe one day c;
Koekepan
Birth_Chord wrote:
Thanks mate it might be too much fun! Here’s my official 2019 setup all powered up, minus a mono voice I need. Haven’t decided yet, leaning towards Toraiz AS-1

I have a couple of mono voices in various synths, and while I don't have an AS-1, and I don't think that it's a bad choice, I'm not sure that it's the best bang for your buck out there.

What do you want to do with it, and what criteria drive you to it? I may have a couple of suggestions that lead you down a different path.
Birth_Chord
First criteria to get out of the way, analog. Not the biggest fan of buying digital synths and usually I’d prefer to use a well made VST. Regarding its purpose, I’d say: bass, occasional lead, possible unusual FX. I was considering the Nyx V2 due to this criteria. I tried the Erebus but second guessed myself. I want to take my purchases slow and it was a bit spontaneous even though it sounds amazing, the sale was too good.

I’m a fan of identifiable bread and butter, if that makes sense.

I am willing to go vintage for a mono, also. Was trying to keep it cheaper but that doesn’t always happen. I have plans to get the Moog Matriarch but that will be determined only after release.

Also when I say AS-1, I mean in the $300-$400 max range, that’s what they seem to go for used.

Edit: Dreadbox just released the Erebus V3 in a special edition scheme.. Looks really nice and matches their Hypnosis, but that'd make me GAS for both of them D:
Koekepan
For that range of money, my top recommendation is to look at the two Behringer offerings. I have the D and the Neutron both, and I have to say that they are stupidly great for the money.

The Erebus V3 is fantastic, but it's a bit less of the bread and butter synth.

Vintage mono bass/lead? It doesn't get much better than the Model D., without being vintage, and a steal at the price. Three oscillators, high and low pass filters, noise source, drivable circuitry...

Self-tuning, and bass fit to crack a bunker? Neutron. Also, Neutron. Great filter, great options, great sounds...

Really, on a bang/buck level they're unbeatable right now. They have my sincere endorsement. Or get one, save up, get the other, and cross-patch them. That can get pretty wild too.
Birth_Chord
Going to keep browsing and deciding what sound I want. That new special edition Erebus is too sexy and matches the retro vibe I was going for. There’s a chance I don’t need anything right now though between my nice new pedal and really learning the OB-6.

Unfortunately for me I don’t use le’Behringer products, as both someone who’s been a musician for 4/5 of his life and someone who studied engineering... And someone who’s taken a few too many psychedelics. But hey I’m the only one that loses out in that deal, Uli’s got it pretty sweet. I just couldn’t do it, it’d feel like pooping out music from my hands.

Side note: One might argue why use Zoom? Well they’re Japanese designs, original ideas, and the factory in China I’m sure is a subset of one with underpaid workers rather than a whole city. The made in Mexico Fender I have was a gift when I was too unconscious to think of others’ suffering. Can’t be perfect.

Edit : Korg MS-20 mini could be a contender. My friend had one in college, cheap and to the point. It’s a Korg MS-20... mini!
Koekepan
If Behringer gives you gripes, then the Erebus isn't a bad option, but I would also suggest the Bass Station II. The KORG Monologue is also in that price range, and is very flexible. If you're willing to go to the price of an Erebus, don't disregard the option of a Minibrute 2(S), or the Pittsburgh Microvolt 3900.

Of course, for sheer bang per buck, I'd step to the digital side, but you already excluded that. I'll just sit here and hug my Blofeld and tell it that it's still loved.
Birth_Chord
Koekepan wrote:
If Behringer gives you gripes, then the Erebus isn't a bad option, but I would also suggest the Bass Station II. The KORG Monologue is also in that price range, and is very flexible. If you're willing to go to the price of an Erebus, don't disregard the option of a Microbrute 2(S), or the Pittsburgh Microvolt 3900.

Of course, for sheer bang per buck, I'd step to the digital side, but you already excluded that. I'll just sit here and hug my Blofeld and tell it that it's still loved.

I’m willing to get a used Blofeld. I just haven’t yet. I want to get a few analog bases covered after trying so many synths. I love the patches people make on the Blofeld, sounds excellent.

Microvolt could be interesting. I saw it but never heard any demos yet. And BS2 is a classic and also has AFX mode now... hmm... here lies my real dilemma. The restraint it takes to pick just one...
Koekepan
OK, a couple of things to consider here.

The BassStation II is obviously bass-oriented, but it has options. It's not patchable, but it has lots of options. It's genuine analogue, and sounds great.

The Microvolt actually has a Sonic LAB review, courtesy of Nick Batt, so I recommend checking that one out. Whatever Nick's idiosyncracies and memeworthiness, he does serious reviews, and produces a lot of sounds. Check it out.

The Microvolt has one oscillator, with multiple waves and west coasty waveshaping options. The minibrute 2(S) has a separately tunable sub oscillator, with a nice patchbay including aftertouch from MIDI.

The Blofeld has my unqualified endorsement. My only sadness is that I wish that it had four times the DSP for major polyphony, but they're so affordable that for the price of a Moog One, you could have a symphony of Blofeld. Massive (virtual) patching options, huge sounds, never regretted mine for a moment. Rugged enough for the road, powerful enough for the studio.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2