MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doefer LCB Is this normal?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doefer LCB Is this normal?
Jpscurry8
So I've had a Doepfer LC9 case with the PSU3 for over a year and it's great. I just bought a used LCB base with a PSU2 and it seems to be working properly. However I have noticed that modules seem to power up differently. For example, on the LC9 Pressure Points powers on with the far right LED on but no LEDs on at all in the LCB. Further example, the LEDs flash on the Synthrotek 4 channel mixer with the LC9 is turned on but do not flash when installed in the LCB and it is turned on. And there are other examples too.

Is this normal because of the different PSUs or is something possibly wrong? The modules all seem to be working normally...
gb2
I have the same combination of cases and I haven't experienced anything like that, but also I'm rarely switching "flashy" modules from one case to the other.
jdee
I have had the same combination in the past and didnt experience that too.

I got rid of my Doepfer cases as the fuses kept popping. Went with Pittsburgs.
Jumbuktu
What is the total power load for each case?

I wouldn't be ditching the case just yet. Doepfer power supplies are usually pretty good. Why don't you email dieter directly? He is usually pretty prompt in responding.

FWIW the only case I ever had that would not power up properly was a Pittsburgh cell.
Keltie
jdee wrote:
I have had the same combination in the past and didnt experience that too.

I got rid of my Doepfer cases as the fuses kept popping. Went with Pittsburgs.

You were using slow blows, right?

I had a few pop in a lc6 when I first had it.

/ jinx / Bought a pack of replacements, and haven’t had one go in over a year / jinx /
Jpscurry8
Jumbuktu wrote:

According to the Doepfer website:

LC9: +12V/2000 mA, -12V/1200mA, +5V/4000mA

LCB: +12V/1200mA, -12V/1200mA
Yes Powder
What is a Power Points? And how much current are you drawing with your power supplies?
(edit: Pressure Points?)
Jpscurry8
Yes, Pressure Points. Sorry! I was in a panic when I wrote that first post!
Jpscurry8
Yes Powder wrote:
And how much current are you drawing with your power supplies?)

Only around 1100mA in the LC9. I've just tested individual modules in the LCB so far. I didn't want to rearrange everything into both cases yet, in case something was wrong.
Yes Powder
Jpscurry8 wrote:
Yes Powder wrote:
And how much current are you drawing with your power supplies?)

Only around 1100mA in the LC9. I've just tested individual modules in the LCB so far. I didn't want to rearrange everything into both cases yet, in case something was wrong.

Is that 1100mA +12, -12, or total?
Jpscurry8
+12. Around 750mA for -12V.

The Turing Machine MkI also behaves differently when powered on in the LCB compared to the LC9. On the LC9 it starts up with all the steps off and on the LCB they are all on. Once again, it appears to be functioning correctly. Maybe it's nothing. I was just used to seeing things power on a certain way and when it was different i got concerned.
Jumbuktu
Jpscurry8 wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:

I was looking for the total current draw figures for your modules in each case. You can get this off Modulargrid. Then compare against the stated capacity of each case.
Heliophile
On my Doepfer monster base A-100PMB, Pressure Points also starts up with no LEDs on. I don't think there's a problem with either the module or the case.
MarcelP
Jpscurry8 wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:

The supplies are different in that one has a +5v rail - it might be possible that start up behavior for some modules is different dependent on that (ie reset timing as the rails come up, etc)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1