MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Suggestions for Morphagene 48u Cell ...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Suggestions for Morphagene 48u Cell ...
ronaldroy
OK, getting a little system together around Morphagene. 48 is a bit tight but I have a lead on a very cheap case and it would be good to keep it small. Also have a Minibrute 2s (for now) so can also link up to that but would like to keep it self contained for live use - bringing in instrument sounds - percussion (maybe wavedrum) and live mic'ed stuff (solo).

Any comments, help? Got 2hp left ...

Could I ditch Ears and go in to Morphagene direct? Still would need to get levels up though right?

2hp random seems pretty great.

Maybe Maths is overkill in such a small system. Already purchased though.

Always thought a Rene or Meng VM would be a good match up for MG too

ronaldroy
Maybe I should just forget it and go for a Rackbrute ...
Jumbuktu
My own setup:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/446439

Ok, it's mor than 48hp, but it may give you some ideas.
ronaldroy
Thanks. Not miles away from what I originally intended. I think 48hp might be a bit too tight even for something easily transportable.

Where did you get your MG btw?
david_r
ronaldroy wrote:
Could I ditch Ears and go in to Morphagene direct? Still would need to get levels up though right?

Yes you can ditch Ears, the Morphagene accepts line level. Just be sure to perform the Auto Leveling procedure in the manual.
Jumbuktu
ronaldroy wrote:
Thanks. Not miles away from what I originally intended. I think 48hp might be a bit too tight even for something easily transportable.

Where did you get your MG btw?

Control, I think. I was an early adopter. I ordered it as soon as it was announced.
ronaldroy
david_r wrote:
ronaldroy wrote:

Yes you can ditch Ears, the Morphagene accepts line level. Just be sure to perform the Auto Leveling procedure in the manual.

But ears will take mic level right?
SmartBits
I would swap the Ears for a Disting Mk4 and put a 2HP TM in the remaining space. You don't need the Ears for pre-amp functionality.
ronaldroy
SmartBits wrote:
I would swap the Ears for a Disting Mk4 and put a 2HP TM in the remaining space. You don't need the Ears for pre-amp functionality.

Good call. Disting wasn't on my radar at all.
electricanada
Uburst would be great here.
ronaldroy
As in mini clouds thing?
Jumbuktu
ronaldroy wrote:

The key component for me is the Menq Qi VM. This enables one to quickly switch among several settings on the MG at the touch of a pad. It is particularly useful if you are switching between different splices, and it is possible to use one output for splice location, another for (e.g.) tape speed (pitch), another for grain size, another for morph etc. Not shown in that MG shot is something I added more recently - a couple of Ladik dual slews so the change from one 'patch' to another happns smoothly over time - which can be a beautiful effect.

You could use something smaller like a Pressure Points or Intellijel Tetrapad. I would definitely consider making your case big enough to accomodate some kind of CV controller if you can manage it.
ronaldroy
Thanks, I was thinking along those lines re VM. Rene will be nice but only has 2x CV outs. I think I'll forget the 48hp idea and go for something larger.
Jumbuktu
ronaldroy wrote:
Thanks, I was thinking along those lines re VM. Rene will be nice but only has 2x CV outs. I think I'll forget the 48hp idea and go for something larger.

The VM is discontinued. If you can find one used, you could mount it separately in a shallow skiff like a keyboard.

Alternatively, I just saw a new module called harlequin's context by Shakmat. It's only 12 hp and can provide 16 sets of 4 preset voltages plus alternative modulation options like LFOs or envelopes. Looks perfect for a small system. I might get one myself!
david_r
Jumbuktu wrote:
ronaldroy wrote:

The VM is discontinued. If you can find one used, you could mount it separately in a shallow skiff like a keyboard.

Alternatively, I just saw a new module called harlequin's context by Shakmat. It's only 12 hp and can provide 16 sets of 4 preset voltages plus alternative modulation options like LFOs or envelopes. Looks perfect for a small system. I might get one myself!

Mutable Instruments Frames could be useful for this purpose.
R.U.Nuts
I started Eurorack with a Phonogene which is obviously quite similar to MG. The first thing besides Maths I added to my system was a Turing Machine because I wanted to have some kind of stepped modulation source to jump between slices and genes. So I'd suggest some kind of stepped modulation source. Wether a sequencer, random generator or a bread and butter sample and hold is up to your preference.
And I'd add some nice audio processor. Be it a simple filter, an EQ or a more elaborate filter. I guess a Serge resonant EQ would be wicked. I have an Eowave Fluctuations Magnetiques which is great, too. - And pretty affordable (well "affordable" in Eurorack terms).
Now fit that into 48 HP. Miley Cyrus
It's "HP" not "U" BTW. 48 U would be f*ckin huge eek!
Jumbuktu
david_r wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:
ronaldroy wrote:

Mutable Instruments Frames could be useful for this purpose.

I have Frames, and it is good, but it doesn't have a way to precisely select one of the 'frames'. You have to guess where the knob will land, and you will traverse all the intervening ones before you get there. Still nice.

On revisiting Shakmat, I now realise the Harlequin is only at prototype stage, so we'll have to wait a bit before it becomes available.
ronaldroy
Jumbuktu wrote:
ronaldroy wrote:

Yes great, that Shakmat looks fab! Similar idea to the VM with some extra goodies.
ronaldroy
R.U.Nuts wrote:

It's "HP" not "U" BTW. 48 U would be f*ckin huge eek!

yes, me idiot. 48u would be nice though! Wonder what the excess baggage would be on that.
ronaldroy
Jumbuktu wrote:

I have Frames, and it is good, but it doesn't have a way to precisely select one of the 'frames'. You have to guess where the knob will land, and you will traverse all the intervening ones before you get there. Still nice.

On revisiting Shakmat, I now realise the Harlequin is only at prototype stage, so we'll have to wait a bit before it becomes available.

You can sequence Frames though right?
Jumbuktu
ronaldroy wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:

Yes (but you will need a separate sequencer to generate a CV).

What it doesn't allow is real-time playing of patch presets. In general, I don't use DAW-style planning for my modular pieces - real-time performance seems to work better. By the time you have worked out a sequence and played it back several times, the inspiration is gone.
ronaldroy
Jumbuktu wrote:
ronaldroy wrote:
Jumbuktu wrote:

Yes (but you will need a separate sequencer to generate a CV).

What it doesn't allow is real-time playing of patch presets. In general, I don't use DAW-style planning for my modular pieces - real-time performance seems to work better. By the time you have worked out a sequence and played it back several times, the inspiration is gone.

Agreed. Could 'sequence' with a Rene though ... Still would have to work out exactly what CV value corresponds to the Frame etc though I guess, if I understand the module correctly.

VM certainly is more appealing.

That Shakmat is teh shit though.
nios
Falistri or Rampage in for Maths would give similar functions and shave off 2hp. In a super compact setup Falistri also can be an extra oscillator, plus has ring mod and a sub divider which would both be ultra useful for boosting the Minibrute 2. Plus it also would look really cool next to a Morphagene which doesn't hurt.

If you used either of the above over Maths and pulled the Disting, you could plop in a Pamela's New Workout which I think would really spring the Morphagene to life and still have extra room to tinker with the Mini and other modules, in rhythmic fashions at that. This is fun!

edit - syntax
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1