MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Large system power supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Large system power supply
msegarra
Looking for advice on buying a power supply for a large eurorack synth I currently use two row power 40s but I’m starting to do diy modules and plan on making my own modules soon and was hoping to get a power supply that could handle the modules I would like to add to my synth any suggestions??
Happiness Forever
I use the Trogotronic power system and could not be any happier. So much power, it's not even funny. 11.

https://trogotronic.com/product/m15_diy/
msegarra
Ok awesome I think that’s the one I had looked at that before but now I think I’m sold lol
Rex Coil 7
... its usually a better practice to use several smaller power supplies than it is to use one large one one large one can create more problems that it solves and make sure to bond the zero volt rails together of the separate power supples are your diy modules going to be digital cuz if so its better to house them in their own cabinets and power them with their own discrete power supplies and then house the analog ones in their own cabinet and power them with their own discrete power supply if you intend to use linear power supplies youd be best off using power supplies that have toroidal wound transformers to avoid audible hum that can be heard outside of the cabinet even when the synth is not being used but is powered up so toroidal transformers serve one better in that regard and avoid the use of ribbon cable for module power cables since they are not well suited as power cables they are made for transmitting data not the power needs of synth modules so since your diying stuff you have the opportunity to design and build a really nice power distribution system rather than buying it you may want to look into some of the bus bar type power distribution systems available today cuz yknow better.

punctuation
hihi

thumbs up
uniquepersonno2
The Trog one is pretty good, used it myself for a while. I think the general rule with that one is use less busboards if possible to reduce likelyhood of noise and such.
I currently use Doepfer PSU3s which, while a bit more expensive, are great.
sduck
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... its usually a better practice to use several smaller power supplies than it is to use one large one one large one can create more problems that it solves and make sure to bond the zero volt rails together of the separate power supples are your diy modules going to be digital cuz if so its better to house them in their own cabinets and power them with their own discrete power supplies and then house the analog ones in their own cabinet and power them with their own discrete power supply if you intend to use linear power supplies youd be best off using power supplies that have toroidal wound transformers to avoid audible hum that can be heard outside of the cabinet even when the synth is not being used but is powered up so toroidal transformers serve one better in that regard and avoid the use of ribbon cable for module power cables since they are not well suited as power cables they are made for transmitting data not the power needs of synth modules so since your diying stuff you have the opportunity to design and build a really nice power distribution system rather than buying it you may want to look into some of the bus bar type power distribution systems available today cuz yknow better.

punctuation
hihi

thumbs up

...and don't forget to breath....
MarcelP
sduck wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

punctuation
hihi

thumbs up

...and don't forget to breath....

Rex is channeling the spirit of Molly Bloom.
Sleipnir
Breathe Rex, breathe. cool
For my main system (1000hp, see link in footer), I used 2 dual (both +12 and -12v) Acopian supplies (VTD12-450M). They are split so the top 2 rows (vcos and digital modules) are one, with the bottom 3 rows on another.
They are wired to Trogotronic bus boards with 10ga marine wire and bus bars to make a star configuration. If I had it to do over again, I’d probably use 12ga, possibly with multiple runs (10ga is a SOB to work with).
I’ve had zero issues with system noise, and I have about, um, 4000ma spare, in case I get the urge to fill it with Metasonix.
sutekina bipu-on
I thought Rex coil 7 was using phone dictation until i saw the abbreviated words a phone would never enter for you. Bro put some incense on and chill lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1