MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AMS DMX 1080S alternatives ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author AMS DMX 1080S alternatives ?
resetlfo
hello

is there similar effects which can do the job ?
Michael O.
I’m not sure there was a 1080s model, do you mean the DMX 15-80s or the S-DMX?

Either way, the closest emulation would be something like an H3000, which could be functionally similar but would lack that beautifully unique tone of the AMS units, imo. Iirc, there’s a DMX emulation available for the newer H8000, but I’ve never used it so can’t comment.
oldgearguy
Basics needed - delay and pitch shift per channel plus feedback plus an LFO to modulate delay times.

Vintage gear - the Publison IM-90 can do it. The DHM-89-B2 can sort of do it by using both channels for a mono source.

Eventide's H3000 and beyond can do it; not sure about Eclipse, etc. The 8000/9000 have a couple DMX1580s presets, but as mentioned - they get close but don't capture that exact 1580 tone/vibe.

FWIW, I live in the US, have owned a number of 1580's (as well as the RMX and AMS DM2-20 flanger) and used David Kulka to get them up to spec. I still had issues from time to time and then there was the 'delay on the display is not the actual delay time if you use pitch shifting' and you had to dial around until you got it right thing.

In the end, for me, vintage *in this case* wasn't worth the hassle. I use the Roland RSP-550 or H9000 or the Publisons (which surprisingly, knock on a vintage tech's head, have been stable).
CosmicFlight
Not same level but OTO Bim is a pretty cool 12 bit delay !
askthedust
I’ve been there. Oto BIM if you need hardware, Soundtoys Primal Tap if you can go plugin. These are the closest alternative I found. I have a H3000 but the digital resolution is too good to emulate those lofi digital delays.
I’m pretty sure UAD will launch a clone plugin soon as they did with the RMX reverb.
ExtrasensoryPerception
Agreed H3000 or similar will make you happy smile

oldgearguy wrote:

Eventide's H3000 and beyond can do it; not sure about Eclipse, etc. The 8000/9000 have a couple DMX1580s presets, but as mentioned - they get close but don't capture that exact 1580 tone/vibe.

tobb
resetlfo wrote:
hello

NO,the sound of the unit is super dynamic (15-80)

An H-3000 can't sound like that.

oldgearguy wrote:
The 8000/9000 have a couple DMX1580s presets, but as mentioned - they get close but don't capture that exact 1580 tone/vibe.

laughable lol,the 1580 preset on the 8000 sounds like a VST emulation of it.. ,its crap and have absolutely not the sound of the AMS at all
oldgearguy
tobb wrote:
resetlfo wrote:
hello

oldgearguy wrote:
The 8000/9000 have a couple DMX1580s presets, but as mentioned - they get close but don't capture that exact 1580 tone/vibe.

laughable lol,the 1580 preset on the 8000 sounds like a VST emulation of it.. ,its crap and have absolutely not the sound of the AMS at all

So I guess you didn't spend much time tweaking it while having a 1580 around for reference? Not saying it would be indistinguishable in a blind test, but it's closer than a VST for sure.

As mentioned by me and others - if you want that exact sound, buy the 1580s. If you want to get a similar sound/feel, there are other options that will likely be OK and be more reliable in the long run.
ExtrasensoryPerception
Agreed.

If you base your comparison on the H3000 preset, then you can forget it.

I'd pick the H3000 family over others, in order to recreate the 1580 to a certain extent, and get the original if you want that sound.

The plus on the 3000 family are the converters. there's NOTHING VST-like coming out of those, aside from maybe the complexity of certain sounds.
The depth is unlike any software recreation.

oldgearguy wrote:
tobb wrote:
resetlfo wrote:
hello

oldgearguy wrote:

So I guess you didn't spend much time tweaking it while having a 1580 around for reference? Not saying it would be indistinguishable in a blind test, but it's closer than a VST for sure.

As mentioned by me and others - if you want that exact sound, buy the 1580s. If you want to get a similar sound/feel, there are other options that will likely be OK and be more reliable in the long run.
tobb
oldgearguy wrote:

I have had all the hardware units,sorry to say but i wander how you came to the conclusion that the preset in the 8000 is close to the 1580.

The H8000 overall sound is already completely different so impossible to have that same fat dynamic sound that is coming out of the 1580.

ExtrasensoryPerception wrote:

The plus on the 3000 family are the converters. there's NOTHING VST-like coming out of those,

Nobody said it was the case..
ExtrasensoryPerception
Misread your post, apologies!

tobb wrote:
oldgearguy wrote:

I have had all the hardware units,sorry to say but i wander how you came to the conclusion that the preset in the 8000 is close to the 1580.

The H8000 overall sound is already completely different so impossible to have that same fat dynamic sound that is coming out of the 1580.

ExtrasensoryPerception wrote:

The plus on the 3000 family are the converters. there's NOTHING VST-like coming out of those,

Nobody said it was the case..
calaveras
have you tried the UAD AMS RMX16? Not the same exact model I know. It's a little harder to use than most reverb/pitch/delay plugins. But it nails certain tones I'm familiar with from Martin Hannett's work. Plus it has a few features that weren't available on stock models.

I get that some folks prefer hardware. I have a big old Soundtracs and a handful of hardware effects boxes for this reason. It's more fun and there is something more alive about making music that way.

But with the limited availability and high prices, why not check out the UAD? It can get you most of the way there with a DSP box.
ExtrasensoryPerception
Two things in my opinion:

The RMX16 and DMX1580 only have one thing in common... the converters.
Aside from that, one is a Reverb, the other is a delay so you need both really (of course!)

Second, I have to say I really thought the UAD version didn’t sound like the hardware at all.
Algorithms are similar, yes, but they did not emulate the AD/DA path at all, and you can hear it. It’s a pity!

That said, totally usable plugin, when you don’t have the hardware!

calaveras wrote:
have you tried the UAD AMS RMX16? Not the same exact model I know. It's a little harder to use than most reverb/pitch/delay plugins. But it nails certain tones I'm familiar with from Martin Hannett's work. Plus it has a few features that weren't available on stock models.

I get that some folks prefer hardware. I have a big old Soundtracs and a handful of hardware effects boxes for this reason. It's more fun and there is something more alive about making music that way.

But with the limited availability and high prices, why not check out the UAD? It can get you most of the way there with a DSP box.
calaveras
This is a common thing with a lot of digital devices being ported to AU/VST.
The PPG 2V comes to mind. Sure it has the exact same wavetables. But not the same converter technology. Likewise the Synclavier and Fairlight emulations can get pretty rough sounding. But downsampled audio through a 24 bit converter is not the same as through a 12 bit converter with a funny aliasing filter.
ExtrasensoryPerception
Exactly.

Hopefully we are not far enough from those components to be emulated as well!

calaveras wrote:
This is a common thing with a lot of digital devices being ported to AU/VST.
The PPG 2V comes to mind. Sure it has the exact same wavetables. But not the same converter technology. Likewise the Synclavier and Fairlight emulations can get pretty rough sounding. But downsampled audio through a 24 bit converter is not the same as through a 12 bit converter with a funny aliasing filter.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1