MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sourcing small through hole resistors - befaco
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author sourcing small through hole resistors - befaco
Agawell
Hi

I bought a chopping kinky pcb/panel set recently and having sourced all the parts I didn't already have (or at least thinking I had) I began the build - only to discover, too late, that all the resistors (which I'd stood up) were too big and wouldn't fit - so after quickly trying to work out how to sandwich the 2 boards with the parts I have and realising that it's not happening, I start desoldering and searching for the correctly sized parts

tayda - none
mouser some in quantities that are ok - some in 4-5000 minimum order

I contacted befaco support, who directed me to tme - fantastic - they appear to have all of them, they are reasonably priced, BUT they have a minimum order of 100 - there are 18 different resistors

so I have to buy 1800 resistors (out of which I need under 100) at a cost of about 50€ + postage, for 1 diy module

even if I buy the ones available at mouser in small quantities - I still end up with nearly 1000 resistors over

ok I know I'll have stock and that I can use the small resistors instead of the bigger ones in other builds

TL;DR
does anyone know where I can buy small (3.7mm length) 1/4W metal film 1% tolerance resistors in quantities smaller than 100 (multiples of 10 would be great) and at a reasonable price???
Noodle Twister
Hi,
if they are the same as the small resistors used in the Befaco Spring reverb module, which I'm ordering soon they are here

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors/1-8w-metal-film-resistors.h tml[url][/url]

Note they are 1/8w not 1/4w. 1/8w are smaller.

I took a look at the user manual for the chopping kinky as there is no actual BOM apart from the assembly instructions and the small resistors you see in the picture on the first page look to be 1/8w. Wonder where the BOM is ?

Most other Befaco docs are here
Befaco Docs
JohnLRice
Did you check Digikey too?
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/resistors/through-hole-resistors/5 3?FV=80004%2Cc0001%2C400001%2Cb8374d%2Cb83766%2Cb83767%2Cb83778%2Cb83a 27%2Cb84715%2Cb86b0f%2C2b80014%2Cffe00035&quantity=0&ColumnSort=100000 8&page=1&stock=1&k=resistors&pageSize=25&pkeyword=resistors
Synthiq
Do they really need to be 1/4W? Mouser has more than 400 1/8W metal film resistors with length 3.5mm and can in many cases be bought for $0.021 each if you buy 10 of each value.
Grumble
https://m.banggood.com/2425Pcs-1-18W-0_125W-Metal-Film-Resistor-97-Val ue-Assortment-Kit-1R1M-Range-p-1079673.html
NeolithicElectrophones
I built a chopping kinky full kit and can say that the resistors matched the size of 1/8 watt ones bought from tayda recently. Or if you're feeling brave, Iv'e had no issue with using 0805 smd resistors on through hole designs like this.
Agawell
Thanks guys

That's great news - I've only ever used 1/4W or SMD unless they were in a kit and mostly from a BOM that either links or can be imported

and befaco support pointed me to .4W which is probably what they use as they can get thousands at a time - I'll try the 1/8W ones at mouser
Alfrede
Hey and what is about MELF Resistors? are they an option?

They are like this:

https://www.reichelt.de/MELF-Widerstaende/2/index.html?ACTION=2&LA=2&G ROUPID=8386
Agawell
interesting - never seen those before - just looked them up on google and apparantly they mostly end up on the floor!

I think I can find most of the resistors I need at mouser in the .4W in 1/8W case small through hole metal film resistors (that befaco pointed to) with a few exceptions and I think I can get away with the larger ones for at least some of these
devinw1
Hey, I've noticed that when I buy TH resistors 1/4 watt form Mouser, the brand "KOA Speer" are always really tiny bodys. Yagaeo are large body like a typical 1/4 watt. Hope that helps.!

I actually normally choose the Yagaeos because I like the larger chunkier ones and want them all to look the same haha. But I could see how the little guys could fit in a way tighter space.
Whelm
Is there a reason why Befaco uses such unconventional components for pots and resistors? I love their designs and their open hardware attitude, and the Rampage is maybe my most beloved module, but the inability to use any of my inventory of parts or even regular suppliers for their builds is a major barrier to my building more of their stuff.

I don't like buying kits but Befaco makes it such a hassle to source the right parts. seriously, i just don't get it
thetwlo
They use 1/8 watt. found out the hard way a few years ago. That's not ideal. No idea why, they are a bit harder to find, and not so robust. I would avoid anything built with those 1/8W resistors, as they are only barely adequate.
jakobprogsch
thetwlo wrote:
...and not so robust. I would avoid anything built with those 1/8W resistors, as they are only barely adequate.

Mechanically? You'd need to put about 5mA through a resistor with a voltage drop of the full 24V of a euro system to hit 1/8W? Most DIY euro circuits come nowhere near putting that much power through resistors?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1