MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ST Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ST Modular
Bamboombaps
Hi everyone

I dont see ST Modular mentioned on this forum much (nothing coming up in the search) so Id like to draw attention to the vast number of excellent projects they produce.

http://www.st-modular.com/

Ive attached pics of the two ive built so far- SUM mixer and Chiasso, a great little drum sound module.

also full disclosure Im no affiliated with ST but I am also posting this to enter a competition on the Facebook page, so please dont get mad- if you are on fb and are building the projects, join the group for support- Stefan is very helpful and a thoroughly nice dude.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stmodular/
joem
I have a few pcbs/panels but haven't built them yet (I started a long break from building right before they arrived in the mail -- whoops). I quite like his designs... Usually they're fun twists on the standards.
paperCUT
I'm not at all affiliated but really like the approach he's gone with Mutable Rings called Yaksha's Fate. It looks a lot more playable than nanorings.
http://www.st-modular.com/yakshasfate.htm
I plan on getting that soon cool
toneburst
They also do a version of Plaits that does away with the LEDs showing you what algorithm is being used.

http://www.st-modular.com/pyxis.htm
cygmu
The ST Modular range has certainly grown very fast!

It's great that these sets are available at such low prices. I do wish that people offering DIY sets would make schematics available, and I really wish that people re-working designs that have ShareAlike licenses, such as the Mutables, would do the decent thing and make their design files available. Unless I'm mistaken there are no schematics and no design files on the ST modular github, which is a shame.
OIP
i've built the euro version of the kastle and use it all the time.

the KAS drum module looks great as well, been on my list for ages.
col
cygmu wrote:

It's great that these sets are available at such low prices. I do wish that people offering DIY sets would make schematics available, and I really wish that people re-working designs that have ShareAlike licenses, such as the Mutables, would do the decent thing and make their design files available. Unless I'm mistaken there are no schematics and no design files on the ST modular github, which is a shame.

+1
Stobbert
cygmu wrote:

Very good point here and you are absolutely right. Added the Schematics for Pyxis (Plaits) and Werner (Ripples) to GitHub. Yakshas Fate (Rings) schematics has been up there eversince.

I won´t provide schematics for the other designs upfront, as I dont want others to make a business of it. If you have issues with your build, I will surely (and have several times) forward the respective schematics. That is what the facebook builders group is for.

Thanks for your feedback.
col
A broken license is a broken module.

The obligations of cc-by-sa-3.0 are very clearly stated. If you are not prepared to follow them then you shouldn't use the source.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
cackland
Stobbert wrote:
cygmu wrote:

Very good point here and you are absolutely right. Added the Schematics for Pyxis (Plaits) and Werner (Ripples) to GitHub. Yakshas Fate (Rings) schematics has been up there eversince.

I won´t provide schematics for the other designs upfront, as I dont want others to make a business of it. If you have issues with your build, I will surely (and have several times) forward the respective schematics. That is what the facebook builders group is for.

Thanks for your feedback.

You should only provide the schematics for the designs you have implemented under the license required to do so.

If you're other designs don't implement this, then there is no need to.
Stobbert
col wrote:

The obligations of cc-by-sa-3.0 are very clearly stated. If you are not prepared to follow them then you shouldn't use the source.

I have clearly stated the changes on the website, also the Resources are linked and credits are given. Additionally I have uploaded the Schematics and the adaption under the same license. Am I missing something?
djthopa
I have been keeping an eye on the St Modules too, in fact im about to jump the fence.
Its great you have the ibom feature on your modules, would be great if you had mouser boms for the modules too.
I know im lazy...
Also, do consider some people, dont use facebook . In fact some consider it is the work of the devil. But thats another story.... sorry for derailing.
Thumbs up for your work!
col
Stobbert wrote:
col wrote:

I have clearly stated the changes on the website, also the Resources are linked and credits are given. Additionally I have uploaded the Schematics and the adaption under the same license. Am I missing something?

"ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original. "

Unless I am missing something I don't see your license on the particular modules webpage?
Stobbert
djthopa wrote:
I have been keeping an eye on the St Modules too, in fact im about to jump the fence.
Its great you have the ibom feature on your modules, would be great if you had mouser boms for the modules too.
I know im lazy...
Also, do consider some people, dont use facebook . In fact some consider it is the work of the devil. But thats another story.... sorry for derailing.
Thumbs up for your work!

Mouser Projects are available for most PCBs, indeed listed on facebook in the group.

I know, not everyone is on facebook, but I dont have the time and money to run a non-social-media-platform-based-forum or a similar a place to interact with builders. This is the best compromise in my opinion. Thanks for your feedback.
djthopa
Stobbert wrote:
djthopa wrote:
I know im lazy...
Thumbs up for your work!

Mouser Projects are available for most PCBs, indeed listed on facebook in the group.

I know, not everyone is on facebook, but I dont have the time and money to run a non-social-media-platform-based-forum or a similar a place to interact with builders. This is the best compromise in my opinion. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the quick response smile

Since there are already mouser carts for the modules, why not add a link on the devices web page to the mouser bom?

It would make things easier for people that dont use facebook, and you would probably sell more modules too.

My 2 cents.

Thanks!
Stobbert
col wrote:
Stobbert wrote:
col wrote:

"ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original. "

Unless I am missing something I don't see your license on the particular modules webpage?

Indeed, it is on the adapted schematics, but not on the page. Added a note that these have been released under the same licence on the particular modules webpage.

Hope these modules are not broken anymore.
col
Stobbert wrote:
col wrote:
Stobbert wrote:
col wrote:

Indeed, it is on the adapted schematics, but not on the page. Added a note that these have been released under the same licence on the particular modules webpage.

Hope these modules are not broken anymore.

thumbs up
col
I think the best example of license usage is on the michigansynthworks.com site with the jakplugg stuff. Perhaps, check that site out.
Stobbert
djthopa wrote:
Stobbert wrote:
djthopa wrote:
I know im lazy...
Thumbs up for your work!

Since there are already mouser carts for the modules, why not add a link on the devices web page to the mouser bom?

It would make things easier for people that dont use facebook, and you would probably sell more modules too.

My 2 cents.

Thanks!

I thought about that, but actually I liked the idea to have the builders in a group on one place to exchange knowledge, links, mouser projects etc. and not just throw everything on the page. Its easier for people to write a comment, interact, submit their own projects and for me its also easier to maintain all this on facebook.

If people dont buy the PCBs because they dont want to be on facebook, thats fine for me. I´m not interested in selling as much as I can.

But to solve this: I have added the mouser project list on GitHub, so you dont have to be part of the builders group to get these:

GitHub Mouser Projects
paperCUT
Thanks for adding those BOMs, I almost never use facebook. It would be great to have one general info/build thread on here so people can ask questions etc.
djthopa
Stobbert wrote:
djthopa wrote:
Stobbert wrote:
djthopa wrote:
I know im lazy...
Thumbs up for your work!

My 2 cents.

Thanks!

I thought about that, but actually I liked the idea to have the builders in a group on one place to exchange knowledge, links, mouser projects etc. and not just throw everything on the page. Its easier for people to write a comment, interact, submit their own projects and for me its also easier to maintain all this on facebook.

If people dont buy the PCBs because they dont want to be on facebook, thats fine for me. I´m not interested in selling as much as I can.

But to solve this: I have added the mouser project list on GitHub, so you dont have to be part of the builders group to get these:

GitHub Mouser Projects

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I understand what you mean by having everything on a facebook page, but maybe you could use MuffWiggler for that too?

It surely would not stop me from building/ buying your modules, but as i say i rather copy and paste from your github boms into mouser than joining facebook.

Thanks
col
I am not a Facebook user but I will reconsider buying the PCB/panels now that I can see the license fixed.

So I wonder how Arturia are getting around the license with the Microfreak, doesn't that use MI Plaits? I don't see any CC BY-SA 3.0 license on that page.
Stobbert
Sure, I will also answer questions about builds in this thread for those not joining the group when I see them.

But: It wont be as fast and continuous because the group is always the first place I check when I get a FB notifications and the FB app is more comfortable to use on a mobile (I´m answering most questions from my mobile when I`m on the move).
Stobbert
col wrote:
I am not a Facebook user but I will reconsider buying the PCB/panels now that I can see the license fixed.

So I wonder how Arturia are getting around the license with the Microfreak, doesn't that use MI Plaits? I don't see any CC BY-SA 3.0 license on that page.

thumbs up

Arturia says this in the manual:

"Special thanks to Mutable Instruments for providing the Plaits code under MIT license."
col
Stobbert wrote:
col wrote:

thumbs up

Arturia says this in the manual:

"Special thanks to Mutable Instruments for providing the Plaits code under MIT license."

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2