Tenori-ON can't autoswitch blocks? Why?

Yamaha shut down all support - let this instrument live on here!

Moderators: Kent, ritchiedrums, Paranormal Patroler

midenok
Learning to Wiggle

Tenori-ON can't autoswitch blocks? Why?

Post by midenok » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:54 am

What I couldn't understand when started using Tenori-ON, it has 16 blocks which would make it fantastic 256-step sequencer. But why there is no such mode? F.ex. when you start using block 2, it should autoswitch to block 2 after block 1 and so on. It seems so obvious to me that I don't believe I can't find menu option for that...

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:17 pm

The only way to do this is with the realtime record function where the T-O records all realtime actions done, including block changes. I never use this mode, but it may be possible to edit it during playback, if so, then you can just record the sequence of block changes and then treat the result as a multi-block single sequence. I am not near my T-O to try it out or I could give you a definite answer.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

midenok
Learning to Wiggle

Post by midenok » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Yep, not really a sequencer use case.

Probably it can be made an external device which switches blocks by midi via Sysex. I guess T-O reports everything and can do everything via Sysex as it supports master-slave mode. Some good script on Arduino would solve this, but I am too occupied to do that...

pikablue
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Tenori-ON can't autoswitch blocks? Why?

Post by pikablue » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 pm

>...Some good script on Arduino would solve this

This guy managed exactly that!: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/ar ... ler-3d4b87

However, in "normal" (non-remote) mode, the TNR doesn't accept block change sysex requests. In remote mode, it does accept block change requests, but doesn't output anything *except* for the sysex requests corresponding to keys pressed. So no note-on/note-off.

This rules out my usage where I am using the TNR to drive a separate sound module via MIDI note-on/note-off, but want to be able change blocks from an external source - in my case a MIDI foot pedal.

Since Yamaha no longer seems interested in supporting this, I have been poking around in the firmware, and hopefully should be able to persuade it to accept block change sysex (or something smaller, e.g. does anything in the world use Midi "song select" F3 messages?)

Return to “Tenori-On”