MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Small(ish) Mixer Recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Small(ish) Mixer Recommendations
rowsbywoof
Hey all,

I’m looking for a small(ish) mixer with good effect sends, like more than a single effect send, and would love an spdif/aes effect send if possible. Anything with routable inputs/outputs? I can get by with a few input channels if I had to sacrifice a few to route as sends. Off the bat I’d like 4 analog sends and a single aes/spdif send... $1k or so budget wise, but flexible on that end.

Anyone have an ideas? I know that’s isn’t an oddball request, but I’m trying to change up my workflow a little and trying to find a mixer that I could use with multiple outboard effects and a mix of analog and digital effects, and I’m not finding a lot of options in a small footprint. Any and all recommendations appreciated, along with suggestions on how better to achieve this setup without a DAW routing things for me, which honestly I really can’t stand doing.

Thanks!
slumberjack
keith mcmillen k-mix
sutekina bipu-on
midiman multimix (multimixer?)
can be had for fairly cheap.
the smallest ones dont have send/return though
btw maybe you just want a umc404hd hmmm.....
CF3
Mackie 1604 VLZ4. A used Midas Venice 160 would work also.

The SPDIF/AES is the hard part. Not too many mixers with that to start with. A simple converter box would be the best move (and most flexible).
rowsbywoof
CF3 wrote:
Mackie 1604 VLZ4. A used Midas Venice 160 would work also.

The SPDIF/AES is the hard part. Not too many mixers with that to start with. A simple converter box would be the best move (and most flexible).

Was thinking the same last night and set out to dig an old Flying Cow out of a box in storage. Found that, and I think that's the best way to handle the AES side of the problem.
rowsbywoof
slumberjack wrote:
keith mcmillen k-mix

Wasn't even on my radar, but I think you're right... This is pretty damn close to what I'm looking for! Going to dig in a little more to see if that would work for me. There are of course near perfect Allen and Heath options, like the Xone96, but that's a heck of a lot more money, and probably more mixer than I need, too.
rowsbywoof
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
midiman multimix (multimixer?)
can be had for fairly cheap.
the smallest ones dont have send/return though
btw maybe you just want a umc404hd hmmm.....

Yeah, seems like in the bargain space you simply don't see aux sends, or maybe an aux send. I have an older Behringer Eurorack mixer I picked up circa 2001 or so that I was using for ages, but it's the same problem of seriously lacking in the sends department. I guess what I'm really looking for is a good way to route sounds to effects, as well as handling a couple channels of audio for mixing. Thinking something like the K-Mix where it's route-able/assign-able might be the way to go.
JohnLRice
Maybe take a look at the Allen & Heath ZED-14? No SPDIF/AES but it does have 4 aux sends plus inserts on the 6 mono channels and a master buss insert. And it's under $450 new:
vhttps://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-14/
AdamJay
edit
AdamJay
i scored one of the newer "premium" Yamaha MGP12X mixers recently.

4 sends if you don't use the two separate internal fx but i do like the way those fx sound and it has a lot of stereo input channels to use for returns if you want eq on your returns

they go for about 650 USD new but I found a demo deal (out of the. box and put on the shelf but they say no one actually touched it) for 450
This is fun!

Didn't really need one, might keep it.

calaveras
you might want to look into matrix mixers.
Most small mixers rarely pop up over 3 sends.
rowsbywoof
Very nice. Thanks all. Actually more options than I thought I would have at this price range.
onthelees
I have one of these - I love it. Quintessential "British Sound" mixer. Sounds so much better than the Yamaha I used to have.https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/epm6
Dave Kendall
It can be hard to beat the Yamaha 01v96 in bang for the buck if you need digital I/O.

8 aux sends, 4 onboard FX sections at 48kHz, 12 mic/line with inserts, 2 stereo line, spdif I/O pair, ADAT I/O 4 x configurable analogue outs, and pretty much anything can be routed to anything else.

With an optional expansion card fitted, you get up to 40 inputs in a 19" wide mixer.

The have the type II Eq which is a huge jump up from the earlier yamaha digital consoles, and compressor on ALL channels, and gate on all but a handful of channels.

The VCM version adds nice plugins like tape saturation/emulation, and some useful analogue style FX.

The pricier 01v96i adds 16-channel, 24bit 96kHz bidirectional connection to a DAW via a single USB2 connection. Mine never dropped out or crashed in several years use. It also includes the VCM plugs as standard.

If you see one of these going cheap, grab it !

smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1