MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Applying negative offset and voltages to Buchla modules.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Applying negative offset and voltages to Buchla modules.
mousegarden
I've been reading around this forum and there's quite a bit about the dangers of negative voltages and Buchla modules, especially the oscillators. I've got a utility module that gives negative offset, and was wondering if that could be a danger? I'm sure it's not, as it's designed to be used with Buchla, but I'm new to all this Buchla stuff and it's a bit confusing sometimes, just wondered if anyone could elaborate further on this.
Drillionaire
If it outputs a negative voltage at all, it's a hazard to all 200e modules.
mousegarden
Drillionaire wrote:
If it outputs a negative voltage at all, it's a hazard to all 200e modules.

So, I can't use an offset, I've got a Negativespace CVP and I'm worried it may put out negative voltages.
Drillionaire
From the thread about the Negativespace CVP it looks like you can add a negative offset, so that in itself is hazardous to 200e CV inputs.

Additionally if you're going from another format to Buchla, any bipolar waveforms can cause damage if connected to a CV input on a 200e module, including audio signals, LFOs, etc.

The best policy when interfacing with 200e modules is to use some sort of rectification to remove all negative voltages from a signal that will possibly be connected to a 200e module's CV input. If you do that, you can use any CV processor you like before the rectifier circuit to add offsets and the like to bipolar circuits, without worry about accidental negative voltage excursions.

Something like this (you can ignore the resistor labeled 'R' in this image):
milkyjoe
It looks like even the synovatron cvgt1 (which is made to convert euro to buchla 200e) could potentially damage buchla modules if used incorrectly, is that the case ? At least it has an led to show if the voltage out is negative, so i guess you just have to be carefull using it and it's not foolproof. , correct ?
Drillionaire
milkyjoe wrote:
It looks like even the synovatron cvgt1 (which is made to convert euro to buchla 200e) could potentially damage buchla modules if used incorrectly, is that the case ? At least it has an led to show if the voltage out is negative, so i guess you just have to be carefull using it and it's not foolproof. , correct ?

You are correct, it's capable of outputting harmful negative voltages on it's banana jack outputs.
mousegarden
This is really crazy, so I've just spent money on a module I can't really use, basically, even though the designer intended it to work in Buchla systems.
Peake
Pretty sure I've never seen a 200 or 100 module or clone injured by negative CV...this might be only a 200e thing. Alert me if I'm wrong.
mousegarden
Peake wrote:
Pretty sure I've never seen a 200 or 100 module or clone injured by negative CV...this might be only a 200e thing. Alert me if I'm wrong.

Im building a 200e system, but I'm sure I can use the mixer and attenuators on my Negativespace CVP, surely? as long as I don't apply a negative offset.
I'd also be grateful if anyone can explain the grey purple and blue banana sockets on my CVP, there doesn't seem to be any documentation anywhere.
Drillionaire
If you don't use the negative offset AND you know for certain that the signal source that you are converting for use with 200e has no negative voltage excursions, you'll be okay.
elmerfudd
Welcome to the world of 200e. If you want to avoid heartache stick to Buchla (primo) Keen and Studio H modules, all preset manager compatable. If you want the many cool things available in the 200 cloneverse, build a separate system. Flushed a lot of money to learn this.
jo__dem
elmerfudd wrote:
Welcome to the world of 200e. If you want to avoid heartache stick to Buchla (primo) Keen and Studio H modules, all preset manager compatable. If you want the many cool things available in the 200 cloneverse, build a separate system. Flushed a lot of money to learn this.

i second this advice. 200e power for 200e modules. clone power for clone modules. otherwise youre more than likely gonna be troubleshooting some kind of issue.
mousegarden
jo__dem wrote:
elmerfudd wrote:

i second this advice. 200e power for 200e modules. clone power for clone modules. otherwise youre more than likely gonna be troubleshooting some kind of issue.

Now you've got me worried, I've bought a Samo Modular case, is this going to be OK with 200e modules?
jo__dem
yes it is going to be OK. im just saying in order to get all your 200e modules and preset manager to work 100% youre more than likely going to have to troubleshoot something. i know others have had to add bus repeaters or reconfigure their module layout over and over to get everything to work.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/buchla/permalink/2316151301975746/
mousegarden
jo__dem wrote:
yes it is going to be OK. im just saying in order to get all your 200e modules and preset manager to work 100% youre more than likely going to have to troubleshoot something. i know others have had to add bus repeaters or reconfigure their module layout over and over to get everything to work.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/buchla/permalink/2316151301975746/

Thanks, I'm not using preset manager though, so it shouldn't be an issue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1