MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Podcast
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Buchla Podcast
Fuzz
Hey Buchla lovers!

Fellow Buchla enthusiast Robert Standefer (Mutierend) and I have started a monthly podcast about Buchla instruments called Source Of Uncertainty. We love learning about the modules and the people that build and/or use them, so we thought it would be fun to put together a show about our obsession.

Each episode we'll talk about pertinent Buchla news, spotlight musical releases that involve Buchla instruments, take a deep dive exploration on a specific Buchla format module, and interview a special guest.

We plan to release these on the last Wednesday of each month, and the episodes are designed to be a long since we're only putting out one a month. The great thing about podcasts is that you can always pause and finish them later.

We're starting things off right with a great first guest: Todd Barton! We talk to him about the Krell patch, random, and somehow Yo-Yo Ma!?! We also dig into the podcast's namesake by comparing a 266e and a 266 clone.

We hope you'll give it a listen at sourceofuncertainty.audio, or subscribe on iTunes.
hamgristle
Listening now
This is super!!!
Looking forward to more episodes
Thanks for making it happen
I really liked Todd's interview. Thank you for that.
corkyburger
Loving this so far. I know the work that goes in to putting these kinds of things together, so thank you.
chrisdermo
Already downloaded and listened the other day - really enjoyed the show! And introduced me to awesome music I hadn't heard before. Looking forward to the next one.
cuttooth
What a great idea! Can't wait to have a listen when I get home this eve. Thanks for putting this together.
david_r
About half way through, good stuff!

chrisdermo wrote:
introduced me to awesome music I hadn't heard before.

Ditto
koshi
Really enjoyed it too. Great mix of news, patches and interviews.
Find it interesting once you talk about the patch but one can't see it but hear it. It feels kind of fresh smile with all the youtube videos available now.
Looking forward to more of these. thumbs up
Ginko
Awesome! Cheers guys, listening now SlayerBadger!
scuto
I'm looking forward to hearing more! I'm not a Buchla user, but find learning about different approaches to modular/synthesis fascinating. The music review of Fusiform pleasantly exploded some aural stereotypes I had about Buchla, thus was a standout segment for me. But the interiview with Todd Barton was also excellent! Also looking forward to exploring different modules in depth.

Someone on the Euro forum speculated the Verbos Complex Osc was most similar to the 208's oscillators than any other, which certainly piques my interest in a custom Easel a la Jamie Drouin. Big fan of that "dusty" Verbos CO sound.
Ginko
scuto wrote:
Someone on the Euro forum speculated the Verbos Complex Osc was most similar to the 208's oscillators than any other, which certainly piques my interest in a custom Easel a la Jamie Drouin. Big fan of that "dusty" Verbos CO sound.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify, but I think the Verbos Complex Osc is based more on the 258. I have the Jerk 258 clone in Eurorack - it was the first bit of modular gear I made and owned and I couldn't part with it, but also have next to nothing to patch it with now! I think the 258 sounds a bit 'fatter' than the Easel oscillators, and for me, it makes a lot of sense to have a well matched pair in the audio range. The clone I have doesn't have a Timbre control, but I sit it next to a triple wavefolder module which does nice things as well - I need to dust those modules off!!!
mutierend
scuto wrote:

I believe the Verbos CO is based on (or inspired by) the 259.
tau_seti
Super! Do you think you might include the easel and the various cards being made for it now?
mutierend
tau_seti wrote:
Super! Do you think you might include the easel and the various cards being made for it now?

I would say all signs point to "yes." It just depends on whether we can get our hands on the cards. Right now we're focusing on stuff we own. I have a big 200e system and Kyle has an Easel with some 200 clones and 200e modules, so we have a lot of bases covered. But not everything. smile
The Junglechrist
Nice one ! Will listen to it asap !
Lewis#
It's peanut butter jelly time!
great idea!!!
scuto
Ginko wrote:
scuto wrote:

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify, but I think the Verbos Complex Osc is based more on the 258. I have the Jerk 258 clone in Eurorack - it was the first bit of modular gear I made and owned and I couldn't part with it, but also have next to nothing to patch it with now! I think the 258 sounds a bit 'fatter' than the Easel oscillators, and for me, it makes a lot of sense to have a well matched pair in the audio range. The clone I have doesn't have a Timbre control, but I sit it next to a triple wavefolder module which does nice things as well - I need to dust those modules off!!!

Thank you for this explanation, Ginko--as well as mutierend--interesting stuff!
YE'OLDE BOY
I have listened to this at work on podomatic now three times.
Great work really enjoyed it.

the other day I found myself looking at the calendar to see how many days I have left to wait for the next one hyper

Dam good show guys applause

(is anyone running a book on which module will be next? my money is on the 281e)
cool
mutierend
YE'OLDE BOY wrote:

(is anyone running a book on which module will be next? my money is on the 281e)
cool

srsly never
slam
Great work guys! I’ve listened to it a couple of times. A lot of good info in there!
YE'OLDE BOY
mutierend I hear you w00t

If the 230e is the lonely module then the 297 is the crazy one without a brain!
and the 222e with the 223e are the couple at the party Mr. Green

again great work thumbs up
mutierend
What modules would you like us to cover?
JamieDrouin
mutierend wrote:

I quite like the notion of going through the 'foundation' modules first - the ones which grow from the origins of the Buchla workflow as most, if not all, have multiple purposes/capabilities/integrations which are not immediately apparent.

It's like going back to the colour wheel for painters - a reminder of all the options which explode out from just two pigments.
Fuzz
JamieDrouin wrote:
mutierend wrote:

I quite like the notion of going through the 'foundation' modules first - the ones which grow from the origins of the Buchla workflow as most, if not all, have multiple purposes/capabilities/integrations which are not immediately apparent.

It's like going back to the colour wheel for painters - a reminder of all the options which explode out from just two pigments.

Hey Jamie,

I like this idea as well, but we are also going to tailor the module deep dives to correlate with the guest when it makes sense. So it might feel a bit scattered over the next several months, but building up a "library" of these over time and hitting all the classic building block modules is definitely a goal of ours.

I might pass on the 230 though hihi
mutierend
The 230e episode is 3x longer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2