MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Can't find a 12V Ac/Ac wallwart
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Can't find a 12V Ac/Ac wallwart
proubaud
Hi guys,

I just bought a microbus PSU from frequency central. In the build doc there's a link for a 220->12V Ac/Ac wallwart adapter at around 10£, but it's GB normalized.

Do you know any place i can find a affordable wallwart adapter for europe type plug ? What's the point of making cheap DIY PSUs if they need 50e adapters to work if not ?

Thanks in advance !
euromorcego
so what did i tell you in the other thread?

Quote:
Frequency central routemaster is ok. ... And an external power supply (it needs an AC supply which is more difficult to find than the usual wallwarts).

but you dod not listen.

There are cheap UK/EU adapters, also AC supplies are not that hard to find. Just keep looking.

And remember for next time: the doepfer kit contains everything. Busboard (two of them, soldered), rails, power supply, AC adapter, screws ...
proubaud
Yes, i did listen, but that topic was about my future "bigger" modular case. This is for my first few modules, wich will be hard wood-screwed, and that will quickly be converted to a testing rack. And that's why i was tempted to get the cheapest PSU possible.

And even if this wallwart costs 25£, the final psu will still be cheaper than the doepfer one, or than any ready-to-use PSU kit. I did my research.

So don't worry, i'm still convinced to go for the doepfer kit. Later tho.

The all point of this was to have a "throwable" PSU for my first steps in modular world, that will always be of use later. I just based my calculation on the 10£ wallwart while i'm currently not finding anything similar in french format.

Sorry if you felt that i didn't care at all at what you said seriously, i just don't get it

Maybe i'll just go for the UK/EU converter then
OB1
proubaud wrote:
What's the point of making cheap DIY PSUs if they need 50e adapters to work

The point is, they don't. I've built a few FC PSUs and I've never paid more than £12 for an AC wall wart. I normally get them off eBay, though I am buying them for UK sockets. If you can't find one with a European plug, maybe you could get a cheap UK one and a €2 adapter?
FetidEye
search for them in thriftshops and secondhand markets. you can find them there for 1-3 euro.
col
Also, if you get one of the older DC 15v ones that has a transformer inside you can split it open and remove the diode rectifier bridge and capacitor and glue it back together again. That will give you 12VAC.

Iv'e been using the Behringer mixer power supplies, which means you can go FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER which is great ;-) look for: PSU5-SAA
joem
col wrote:
Also, if you get one of the older DC 15v ones that has a transformer inside you can split it open and remove the diode rectifier bridge and capacitor and glue it back together again. That will give you 12VAC.

Pretty sure the FC power supplies will work fine with a 15V AC adapter, too, since the half wave rectifier just go to a 7812 and a 7812.
degeneratedsines
There is one seller on amazon.fr which is offering one for almost 50€. I bought one last year from him for around half that price, not sure why the price doubled since then. Maybe try to contact him and negogiate.
Agawell
they appear to be pretty scarce - Electro-Harmonix makes one - they are available from Thomann - 16€ or so
Bodo1967
joem wrote:
Pretty sure the FC power supplies will work fine with a 15V AC adapter, too, since the half wave rectifier just go to a 7812 and a 7812.

They do indeed. I have two of the FC PSUs, one with 15V, and one with 12 V. I mainly use them as test PSUs for newly built modules and such, and operate both of them with a 15 V AC wallwart (about 10 or 12 Euros off German Ebay) without any problems whatsoever.
Agawell
There's an electro-harmonix 12v ac adapter

Thomann stock them

They are about 16€

They work perfectly
das_Produkt
I used this one (but from conrad.de).

In the meantime it sold out, sorry. But it helped me to find out that an AC/AC wallwart could also be called "Steckertransformator" in german (and maybe "transformateur enfichable" in french?)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1