MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack sequencers? (or other compatible with 1/8" out
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Eurorack sequencers? (or other compatible with 1/8" out
chimologic
what sequencers do you have on eurorack and what do you like and hate about it, how does it compare to other sequencers you have?

thinking of maybe getting a Analogue Systems Module - rs200, but there are other options...
felix
I had an A-155 and A-154 and it was great. The 154 really added a lot of great features, such as voltage controlled stage selection, VC clock, PWM of the clock (for use with ADSRs) and pendulum, random, etc modes.

The only thing that I wish would have been possible would be to have each sequencer row be independently clock-able. The fact is though that seems to need a second sequencer entirely. Even the Milton, with it's 4 rows, does not allow for independently clocked sequences.

If the MachineDrum+KentonPro didn't fit so well for my tastes, I would have kept the 155+154.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
I have a doepfer A154 and A155 *cough* for sale *cough* that are really cool, but I also have a doepfer MAQ+ that overshadows them, so I dont use em much.

MAQ is the bomb
MrDys
Don't have any CV sequencers, but I love the hell out of my MFB SEQ-01 trigger sequencer. Fantastic for event triggering, clock generation, clock dividing... It slaves really well to other clocks (I've been using it with my TR-707 and Flame Clockwork) which makes it useful for hard shuffle/swing trigger sequencing.
Kent
I've also got the MAQ Daddy. I've written about it elsewhere on this forum so take a look.

It's a great sequencer. Most of it is right there to hand although some of it is a bit arcane as they added more and more features to the box. The fact that it does CV, Gate & MIDI is a full-on WIN! w00t
Scaff
I have 2 A-155 and 2 A-154 with a A-156. This is a sweet combination. I don`t like the MFB SEQ-01 because it takes some time before this modul begins to run after an external clock. Maybe it needs some service because its one from the first batch. Hopefully my Flame Echometer will arrive today!!! Stay tuned for some vids! we're not worthy
Chuck E. Jesus
the cool thing about the A-155 is you can sequence external cv as well as the cv from the knobs...i've got an A-154 but haven't used it yet, looking forward...
D/A A/D
I have never used sequencing much in my music but I snapped a Doepfer Quad Sequential Switch. I figure that with my m10 or vcs I can rock some pretty cool 4 step sequences. And to boot, I can input 4 CV's or 4 separate VCO's.
futuresoundsystems
I just use a bunch of 8-step "Mini-Seqs" inside the modular. Any big sequencing can be done with my Elektron Monomachine -> MIDI-CV.
consumed
im very very happy with the a155 sequencer, it is very feature rich for the price. i also use a klee, had a serge tkb, metalbox/cgs sequential switch (excellent design!) and an encore UEG. even if i got rid of the rest of my eurorack stuff, id probably keep 3u of sequencer-related euro around.

combining a sequencer with a VC switch or a sequential switch and clock divider really opens up a lot of possibilities. i would really like to get a logic module into the mix next.
dougcl
I use the A-160 and 161, or the A-152.
e-grad
consumed wrote:
i also use a klee

I've one in my backlog and looking very much forward to the finished Klee. Ken Stone's Sequencer/Programmer seems to be way coo, too!
chinard
Im sure i will be severely flamed for saying this, but personally i dont really see any significant advantage of using an analog sequencer as oposed to a digital one.

For sequencey stuff in my setup i have a nord g2 that when used with a midi/cv box is capable of some absolutely spectacular results.
I have a performance set that i use regularly which is an interface for my roland MPU-101 that turns it into a sequencer with 4 quantized note cv out, 8 non-quantized cv out, 4 gate out, adjustable gate time, and independently adjustable sequence lengths for each sequencer.
All controllable and progammable from the front panel.. plus on the g2 you have 7 variations per patch to work with which makes it a great tool for live work.
Chuck E. Jesus
chinard wrote:
Im sure i will be severely flamed for saying this, but personally i dont really see any significant advantage of using an analog sequencer as oposed to a digital one.

For sequencey stuff in my setup i have a nord g2 that when used with a midi/cv box is capable of some absolutely spectacular results.
I have a performance set that i use regularly which is an interface for my roland MPU-101 that turns it into a sequencer with 4 quantized note cv out, 8 non-quantized cv out, 4 gate out, adjustable gate time, and independently adjustable sequence lengths for each sequencer.
All controllable and progammable from the front panel.. plus on the g2 you have 7 variations per patch to work with which makes it a great tool for live work.

what if you wanted to program slides/pitch bends/filter sweeps? i also have an MPU 101, i've messed with using the pressure out from my midi keys to do vibrato for example, but i have to use a slew to get around the 128 step limit of midi...i haven't tried the pitch wheel out tbh, curious if it would provide higher res cv out (can't test atm)...obviously you can use gates to trigger things on the modular...i've thought about the approach you describe, but my Micro Mod does not provide midi out., i suppose Max would work well...
chinard
actually it has been documented that max msp + a motu 828mk2's audio outs are able to send a control voltage if you wanted high resolution output.
There was also talk on electro-music.com about desoldering some of the caps on the nord g2's line out to allow for direct DC output, but that is a really risky thing to do with such a nice synth.

and yeah, 99% of what i would use a sequencer for would be using stepped voltages. If i needed to use smooth voltages then i would have to pass it through a slew limiter, which i already have a few of in my rig. And technically.. you would also have to do the same with an analog sequencer.
I think really the only difference the 7 bit resolution would come in to being a major problem is if you were doing some really specific sequencing of FM operators or if you wanted to sequence at audio rates (ie: using the sequencer as a waveshapper or vcs)

On the MPU101 i was not able to use the pitch bend as a step sequencer destination from the nord g2 which is why i listed 7 CV out instead of 8.
One other thing that is really good on the g2 and mpu101 combo is the pitch cv outs all get quantized to their proper note value.
brandon daniel
I concur. For quick, full featured step sequencing, the 155/154 combo is good, but I find myself using midi->cv for note-sequencing duties, often sourcing the midi from my NM G2 or Plogue Bidule, both of which I've used to build a library of random, pseudo-random, and deterministic sequencing interfaces.
Chuck E. Jesus
chinard wrote:

One other thing that is really good on the g2 and mpu101 combo is the pitch cv outs all get quantized to their proper note value.

right there is something that could be thought of as a limitation...i think software (or the G2) control of modular synths is a great idea, but not a direct replacement for analog sequencing in every case (and there isn't one approach to analog sequencing it seems)...
felix
ross g wrote:
chinard wrote:

right there is something that could be thought of as a limitation...i think software (or the G2) control of modular synths is a great idea, but not a direct replacement for analog sequencing in every case (and there isn't one approach to analog sequencing it seems)...

You can use MIDI CC instead and get arbitrary, non-pitch quantized, values.

However, at some level, they are quantized. 127 steps (or higher I guess, if your super fancy pants MIDI-CV converter can do NRPNs).
chinard
ross g wrote:
chinard wrote:

sorry, i should have clarified.
the first 4 outputs from mpu101 are the only ones quantized to note value.
an additional 7 outputs are variable CC 0-127 (not quantized to note value)
and the last 4 are gate.

But i see your point. Even the 0-127 outputs are slightly quantized which is why I would never use an lfo from this without putting it through a slew first, but step sequenced values should be fine. In a pinch you could also pass it through an attenuator if you had a specific voltage level for a sequenced microadjustment, but thats a really rare case.
chimologic
stay on topic please. euro sequencers or other 1/8 inch. no midi lovers,thats another topic
Chuck E. Jesus
chimologic wrote:
stay on topic please. euro sequencers or other 1/8 inch. no midi lovers,thats another topic

yeah dudes, stay on topic....now!
SoundPool
the analog systems is tempting. I want something as small as possible and only NEED really basic functions, more is just a plus. I just find it obnoxious that I can't turn off steps when I want. someone needs to develop a small sequencer that has just a few more features and I would jump on it
REwire
SoundPool wrote:
the analog systems is tempting. I want something as small as possible and only NEED really basic functions, more is just a plus. I just find it obnoxious that I can't turn off steps when I want. someone needs to develop a small sequencer that has just a few more features and I would jump on it

Looks to me like the RS-200 can skip gate steps and even reset the seq at any point. I'd get the Doepfer though for the one shot possibilities.

For 8 steps but less functionality I'd get the ASolutions SQ8 and GT8 or the upcoming Plan-B 21c Mini Milton.
chimologic
REwire wrote:
SoundPool wrote:

Looks to me like the RS-200 can skip gate steps and even reset the seq at any point. I'd get the Doepfer though for the one shot possibilities.

For 8 steps but less functionality I'd get the ASolutions SQ8 and GT8 or the upcoming Plan-B 21c Mini Milton.

Yes but I Imagine you can patch the end pulse out into the start/stop and that would give you one shot?

or patching with an external clock and some clock divider magic can make a lot of interesting things happen.

I have a cyclodon which I use with my portable setup, is a really fantastic small analog sequencer, but lacks some more advance features I would love to have on it like step skipping.
SoundPool
mini milton looks great! exactly what I am after. hopefully that is available soon. not to get off topic, but all those upcoming plan b's look great.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2