MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland Promas vs. SH-101: audio shootout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Roland Promas vs. SH-101: audio shootout
Sir Ruff
Feel like there has been a lot of debate in the past about how different the various Roland monosynths sound--in particular the earlier '70s version vs. the SH-101--but there are no demos. So as my 101 is about to take an exit, I took it upon myself to record a (long and academic) A/B demo of an earlier Roland (Promars) and the SH-101. Levels aren't always matched, particularly with high resonance (the Promars loses bass whereas the 101 doesn't) but I adjusted after the fact so they are general similar volumes. I focused on the features they share rather than the ones they don't so that the basic tone could be the focus.

There are some clear differences and also some very clear overlap, which I'll let listeners decide and debate. The one thing I'll say here is that they sound far closer to each other than different and if we were putting the Promars against the 1/2/09, I'm pretty sure the differences would almost be negligible.

Promars in on right channel, 101 is on left.
Promars vs. SH-101

And for a bit of a fun bonus round, here's the SH-101 vs. a totally unrelated but surprisingly similar sounding vintage one oscillator synth from the same era.
SH-101 vs. ???

If anyone guesses the right one I'll send you a DL link of my new EP for free smile
tobb
Sir Ruff wrote:

The one thing I'll say here is that they sound far closer to each other than different and if we were putting the Promars against the 1/2/09, I'm pretty sure the differences would almost be negligible.

Weird,i have had also both at the same time and they sound completely different,there is no way you can obtain the typical SH-101 ADSR to filter response when running a sequence with the Promars,nor the MS-101 can emulate this!
chiasticon
Sir Ruff wrote:
There are some clear differences and also some very clear overlap, which I'll let listeners decide and debate. The one thing I'll say here is that they sound far closer to each other than different and if we were putting the Promars against the 1/2/09, I'm pretty sure the differences would almost be negligible.

interesting topic! friend and fellow wiggler Nils has also made some interesting comparisons between some SH synths over here: https://soundcloud.com/bomsedeisa/roland-sh-1-2-7

I've never tried a ProMars, nor a 1 or 2 but I own the 5, 7 and 101 and they're all pretty different to me. but obviously the differences are more in what each can do and not just their basic sound. and the benefit of having all three is that my favorite sweet spots for each are pretty different, and useful for different things.
Sir Ruff
tobb wrote:

Weird,i have had also both at the same time and they sound completely different,there is no way you can obtain the typical SH-101 ADSR to filter response when running a sequence with the Promars,nor the MS-101 can emulate this!

I think it's important to consider how basic things like filter shape affect our perception of differences in the "sound". The exponential attack and inverse exponential decay slope of the 101 envelope give a very distinct "pluck" that was impossible to recreate on the Promars, even though the Promars actually has faster envelopes.

chiasticon wrote:

interesting topic! friend and fellow wiggler Nils has also made some interesting comparisons between some SH synths over here: https://soundcloud.com/bomsedeisa/roland-sh-1-2-7

yes, that's one of the few demos out there of the older ones and it really points to how similar they all are.
Quote:

I've never tried a ProMars, nor a 1 or 2 but I own the 5, 7 and 101 and they're all pretty different to me. but obviously the differences are more in what each can do and not just their basic sound. and the benefit of having all three is that my favorite sweet spots for each are pretty different, and useful for different things.

That's it I think. Obviously I ignored quite a bit on the Promars to make a viable comparison to the 101 (and likewise, on the 101). But I think it's important to nail down these differences/similarities in tone on their own merits because often the presence/absence of different features inherently affect people's perception of the sound, and this leads to a lot of the mythos/hearsay that gets spread across the internet. Once you know what the basic sound differences are, then you can make a more objective assessment of how the other features make them better or worse (or just different).
calaveras
I find the Roland stuff all sounds pretty similar. Much more so than Moog. Where the Taurus, Minitmoog, Rogue and Mini are all quite different.
The Sh09 and it's siblings can do most of what a 101 does. Of course the SH2-09 don't have sequencers or arps built in. But the PWM and filter sound is much the same. It really does get down to envelope. The SH09 drives me crazy in that regard because for short blippy sounds the difference between good and great is about 1/10th of a millimeter on the decay and release controls!
I've seriously thought about replacing the pots with a different taper. But then, everything else is working so I left it alone!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1