MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Every easel needs a rechargeable battery
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Every easel needs a rechargeable battery
pelican
Come on Buchla, there's a ton of room in there to make the easel truly portable
papz
"Every Easel needs a Synthi" is relevant in the case of the VCS3 Card manufactured under EMS license because it's a direct reference to the old EMS ads.
Copying this formula for other purpose doesn't make sense.

That is one attractive nun. love

Formalities aside, I would love to take the easel for a spin in the woods and whatnot.

I have looked up 12v power banks and things of the sort at the usual go-to sites. I found a series of car battery starters and other options varying in stats and price. My gut tells me those aren't going to work. Then again there is the aspect of the original easel being powered by batteries on the get go.

For those of us whom have no idea what to look for, is there someone out there willing to explain what the main criteria for such a unit would be? Are there any general caveats or things to watch for?
wsy
01235813 wrote:
That is one attractive nun. love

Formalities aside, I would love to take the easel for a spin in the woods and whatnot.

I have looked up 12v power banks and things of the sort at the usual go-to sites. I found a series of car battery starters and other options varying in stats and price. My gut tells me those aren't going to work. Then again there is the aspect of the original easel being powered by batteries on the get go.

For those of us whom have no idea what to look for, is there someone out there willing to explain what the main criteria for such a unit would be? Are there any general caveats or things to watch for?

I've tried this, and the problem is that the Easel needs it's 12 volts and 11.9999 (or something like it) is not going to work; mine (at least) goes into unstable howling at
just around 12 volts so even a big battery only works for 20 minutes or so.

Yes, I know, annoying. Especially since I have a Crate Limo 50 watt lead acid amp
to do output.

- Bill
ArguZ
I am powering my mobile rig with this :

The benefit is that it comes in right under the legal limit of 150Wh , is small , lightweight and charges two USB devices or powers new effects pedals in on go.

MicroBattery MBX-PB001 Universal Power Bank
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312696303616

in theory there is space for four of them in the lid wink
christie
Any of the lithium ion or LiPo "power pack" with multiple voltage out settings batteries work great. I've used them with Easel, euro, serge 4U (via a power supply) and Buchla 200e. You want one that can supply more than your target voltage and regulates down to the target. For example, for the Easel, one that CAN supply 18v but has a 12v setting.

Here's an absurdly powerful one, just within the US flying limits:

POWERADD Pilot Pro 32000mAh Power... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DN0KBXU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Here's a pic from an impromptu kitchen counter test of the 200e bus midi from an iPad sequencer. Everything was powered from the battery behind the Skylab circled in green:

ddp
Awesome, good to know, I ordered one for my Skylab and Easel.
christie
Just be super sure to set the correct output voltage (12v for Buchla) and use the right adapter tip. As shown in the pic, I use an older model (discontinued) rated at 24000mAh.
ddp
Copy, checked out on low voltage, but my Flukes have fuses.
ddp
asdf
Ginko
Sweet! And the 218 behaves as expected? I wouldn't be surprised if it did, I took my Easel to the Uni I work at a few weeks ago and the 218 worked fine - almost everything else that uses capacitive touch goes haywire on the uni electrics!
ArguZ
repeat after me... anti - static - wrist - band smile
Ginko
ArguZ wrote:
repeat after me... anti - static - wrist - band smile

Ah heck yes! I have a pile of these that banana terminate!
christie
I find the 218 MORE reliable on battery power. I have a lot of dimmer switches in the house - only a few clean AC circuits outside of the music room.
ersatzplanet
Battery packs for Video lighting and cameras can come in high AmpHours ratings, in the 14-30 range easily. That is 14 to 30 hours at 1 amp.

Here is another way too - 440wH with a AC plug on it.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1