MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is the JDXA Menu-Divey?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Is the JDXA Menu-Divey?
Mind Flayer
I'm thinking of picking up a digital/analog hybrid poly and am considering a JDXA. For anybody with experience programming one, is it really menu divey? I've read conflicting opinions. Some say it is, others say that most of the main parameters you'd want to tweak while programming are covered by the surface controls, and that you only need to menu dive for a limited number of parameters.

For instance, someone noted that choosing between the digital waveforms requires you to open a menu and scroll. To me, that's not a big deal -- I usually set the waveforms at the beginning and then forget about them. To me, that's much different than having to menu dive for, say, amp envelope parameters or the lfo settings. Basically, I don't mind a little bit of menu diving, but if something requires menus to access stuff you'd typically be playing with on the fly or wanting routine and easy access to, that will annoy me.
Dave Peck
Getting familiar with the user manual can be a good way to get a feel for how menu-divey a synth is if you don't have access to try patching one hands-on. I've seen the manual for the JD-XA and it doesn't look very menu-driven to me. The screen & <> cursor keys stuff seems to be mostly for global settings and utility stuff, not so much for creating a patch. Check it out.
gringostar
I had one and sold it last year due to downsizing and life changes.

The analog section is not menu divey at all and was always a joy to use, but the digital section and effects can be quite menu divey if you want to really get into tweaking all the subtle things that you have access to under the hood.
pelican
It is, but the sound is amazing
Mind Flayer
Thanks. I just got a used one, so I'll know soon enough!
Birth_Chord
Mind Flayer wrote:

Let me know how you like it, I can find them used pretty cheap overall.. Seems like it has a lot of nice sounds on it.
Mind Flayer
Birth_Chord wrote:
Mind Flayer wrote:

Let me know how you like it, I can find them used pretty cheap overall.. Seems like it has a lot of nice sounds on it.

So, mine arrived today. I've only had a couple hours to mess around on it, but so far, it seems pretty damn incredible. In terms of menu diving, so far it doesn't seem to be a problem. Most of the key controls are there on the panel, and I was able to get some cool and weird sounds going on without really menu diving. The only menu exploring I did was with the digital waveforms. On the digital side, there are like 450 waveforms to choose from, and you have to be in the menu to access most of those, but that's pretty quick and not a big deal to me.

I think there are a fair amount of additional parameters that can only be accessed through the menu, I'm not sure yet but I think they mostly have to do with modulation matrices; didn't have time to get into that. But this thing can definitely get weird before getting that deep.

The build quality is similar to the System 8. I love the keybed, which is identical to the System 8. I think the keys are a little shorter than most, but I'm not a classically trained pianist and they feel really comfortable to me. It's plasticky, but it feels solid enough for my purposes (i.e., not going out on tour).

It is super garish -- it looks like it was designed by the set designer for the Phantom Menace or something -- but I actually kind of like it because it's so over the top. A lot has been written about how the plastic top is prone to fingerprints and is hard to read, and that's true, but mine came with the Roland matte finish overlays that the previous owner had not yet installed, so I'm going to put those on soon, which will be a huge improvement.

I got mine for a little over $1,000, which seemed to be in line with the current market. I think these go for $1,900 new, and maybe were originally $2,000; I don't think I'd pay $1,900 for one, but for $1,000 - $1,200 you get a lot of synth. I'm looking forward to getting deeper into this thing.
Birth_Chord
That’s the price I expected to pay, around $1,100. It’s a really enticing and intriguing design for the price.

Keep me updated !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1