MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gated reverb.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Gated reverb.
Euro Trash Bazooka
What are your favourite pieces of gear for gated reverbs? I mean, besides Lexicon racks? I'm searching for something I could integrate in my rack if possible (so in eurorack format), or as an external pedal. Basically I'd like to be able to have whatever I play through that reverb sound close to the ones on early Depeche Mode albums, 80's Genesis, etc.. I suppose you know the drill...

Thanks in advance
XXXEsq
I have an old Art Proverb that does gated reverb really well.
Euro Trash Bazooka
Thanks! I'd like something I can carry around in my rack or like a pedal, though.
SweetNuthin
Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:
Thanks! I'd like something I can carry around in my rack or like a pedal, though.

The Red Panda Context reverb pedal has got Gated Reverb
tremolo3
Eventide Space.
Euro Trash Bazooka
SweetNuthin wrote:

That's an excellent recommendation, thank you!

The Eventide Space and Strymon Big Sky are everything I'm trying to avoid though. I'm not looking for ambient reverb that'd drown everything nor ultra complex machines, or something whose sound is immediately recognizable (like the Big Sky.)
fuzzbass
Any Eurorack reverb unit supporting CV control of wet/dry will do gated reverb. Just connect gate to an EG's gate input, and the EG's envelope output to the CV input of the reverb unit. Playing guitar? Just use an Envelope Follower to detect note events and trigger the EG.

The reverb I use for this is Music Thing Modular Spring, for gated spring reverb. But just about any Eurorack reverb effect module is gonna have a CV input for wet/dry mix.
Slothrop
I haven't used it myself, but the Rainger FX Reverb X seems to be an interesting take on gated reverb in a small format pedal.
gentle_attack
SweetNuthin wrote:

That's an excellent recommendation, thank you!

The Eventide Space and Strymon Big Sky are everything I'm trying to avoid though. I'm not looking for ambient reverb that'd drown everything nor ultra complex machines, or something whose sound is immediately recognizable (like the Big Sky.)

Just FYI, you can do subtle or realistic reverbs with SPACE or Big Sky. So many of the "demos" on youtube are ultra extreme settings (reverb as instrument if you will) but there's thousands of people who use Eventide and Strymon algos for realistic or reasonable reverbs (and delay for that matter). They aren't any more (or less) prone to being over the top than any other reverb that has a "mix" knob that goes above 50%. SPACE is a great 'studio' reverb and in fact when you play with the presets, you'll realize that quite quickly. The vast majority of them don't massively change your dry sound at all, it's just a little something extra on the backside.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1