MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

iOS ports of some Mutable Instruments eurorack modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author iOS ports of some Mutable Instruments eurorack modules
th0mas
Hi,

I've ported some Mutable Instruments modules from eurorack hardware to iOS AudioUnits. I've got a thread going in Music Software, but wanted to just announce it here since up till now these voices were mostly in eurorack.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217703&highlight=

Mods feel free to delete if this is too callous smile
synthi
...And for free!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!
applause applause applause we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy love
SynapseCollapse
I just used my iPad to plug rings into clouds (in AUM). This is super cool - thanks for making it. I’ve already bought your synth modes app and am super happy with it too. Thanks for your contribution

Rockin' Banana!
th0mas
SynapseCollapse wrote:
I just used my iPad to plug rings into clouds (in AUM). This is super cool - thanks for making it. I’ve already bought your synth modes app and am super happy with it too. Thanks for your contribution

Rockin' Banana!


Awesome, thanks so much! grin
Pighood
Not for iPhone then waah
th0mas
Pighood wrote:
Not for iPhone then waah


yeah its for iphone, too! might have some UI bugs but overall it works fine.
2disbetter
I know this is outside of the scope of this thread, but I'm curious if anyone knows what the DAC on an iPhone or iPad is capable of? My guess is, it surpasses the actual eurorack modules themselves, and thus this implementation should be able to produce better quality.
JES
I would assume Apple uses the cheapest part possible. But you could hook up any DAC you want via the camera connection kit.
Gregor Dys
this sounds superb!

However, I can't seem to load the AU into Audiobus?
Is there a known issue?
(it doesn't even show in the list - I've try restarting, rebooting and reinstalling)
th0mas
Gregor Dys wrote:
this sounds superb!

However, I can't seem to load the AU into Audiobus?
Is there a known issue?
(it doesn't even show in the list - I've try restarting, rebooting and reinstalling)


I made a mistake on the initial release, the audio units require iOS 12.2 to show up.

I have an update awaiting App Store review that fixes that, reducing the minimum iOS version to 11.0.

So either wait for that (1-2 days) or upgrade your device to 12.2.

Sorry 'bout that
Gregor Dys
Hey,

I have actually also upgraded my IPad after installing (and rebooted afterwards) - still doesn't show up, sadly!
Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm getting a better Ipad soon anyways, hope it'll work then wink
th0mas
Gregor Dys wrote:
Hey,

I have actually also upgraded my IPad after installing (and rebooted afterwards) - still doesn't show up, sadly!
Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm getting a better Ipad soon anyways, hope it'll work then wink


Upgraded to 12.2? Maybe try reinstalling the app? If it doesnt solve it let me know as that would mean I don't have a fix pending.
Gregor Dys
I'm on 12.3.1 now, rebooted and reinstalled - still not showing!
My other AUs are working fine in Audiobus.

I'm in EU - could this be of an issue somehow?
Richie Jape
ipad pro 11" 12.3.1 ... work fine and sound great in aum here in Sweden ...

thank you so much ...

what a gift
th0mas
Gregor Dys wrote:
I'm on 12.3.1 now, rebooted and reinstalled - still not showing!
My other AUs are working fine in Audiobus.

I'm in EU - could this be of an issue somehow?


Weird. Do you have any other AU hosts? You're not looking at the inter-app audio list, right?
2disbetter
JES wrote:
I would assume Apple uses the cheapest part possible. But you could hook up any DAC you want via the camera connection kit.


Article suggesting the DAC is good

This seems to measure the analog output, and not the resolution of the DAC. However I am of the opinion that the DAC is better, and furthermore, the CPU of the iPad or iPhone is able to crunch far more than what is in MI modules. This and VCV implements should both far exceed what the modules themselves are capable of.
th0mas
2disbetter wrote:
This and VCV implements should both far exceed what the modules themselves are capable of.


So, both my code and VCV run the mutable modules at the same samplerate as the hardware versions. Worse, the software versions may have to do samplerate conversion (say, from the module's native 32k to the host's 48k) which can introduce artifacts. Although both my code and VCV use the Speex resampling library which is quite good.

As well the software versions are subject to more delay / lag compared to hardware.

Rewriting the modules to use the host's samplerate would be a huge effort.

But the benefit to software obviously is cost, patch recall, multiple instances, etc.
2disbetter
th0mas wrote:


So, both my code and VCV run the mutable modules at the same samplerate as the hardware versions. Worse, the software versions may have to do samplerate conversion (say, from the module's native 32k to the host's 48k) which can introduce artifacts. Although both my code and VCV use the Speex resampling library which is quite good.

As well the software versions are subject to more delay / lag compared to hardware.

Rewriting the modules to use the host's samplerate would be a huge effort.

But the benefit to software obviously is cost, patch recall, multiple instances, etc.


Thanks for the response. I assumed the porting wouldn't take such shortcuts. As someone currently working on a port themselves of Rings, I know that it wasn't really because you or VCV were being lazy. That is a nice mountain of work and work in software means time.

Still, should the software use the native sample rate of the hardware, and provided iOS doesn't steal too many processes, my assumption would still be accurate.

Edit: I am however very surprised that the VCV ports were implemented in that way.
Gregor Dys
th0mas wrote:
Gregor Dys wrote:
I'm on 12.3.1 now, rebooted and reinstalled - still not showing!
My other AUs are working fine in Audiobus.

I'm in EU - could this be of an issue somehow?


Weird. Do you have any other AU hosts? You're not looking at the inter-app audio list, right?


Hey,
i reset my ipad and installed the newest update:
it's working now as should.

Great stuff, thank you! smile
3hands
applause
sutekina bipu-on
Super sick, onna toss this on my ipad. Thanks!!
skreetis
Fantastic! I also wanna say how useful your Modes app is, too.
milkyjoe
Any chance these could be made to work on older ios versions ??
batch
Wanted to chime in and say these ports are awesome! Lost a few hours this weekend running them inside AUM on my iPhone 7+. They work great and are the perfect answer for when I need to make some music on the move.

Thanks so much for sharing!
th0mas
milkyjoe wrote:
Any chance these could be made to work on older ios versions ??


The update 0.2 released last week brings it down to iOS 11. What version are you looking for?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group