MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland r8m, r8, r8mkii
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Roland r8m, r8, r8mkii
CoreInside
Anyone here got the roland r8? I love my mkii, it’s dope. I have all the cards for it too. The sound is awesome. The r8m has room for 3 cards.
coolshirtdotjpg
I have the Mk1 with the Ethnic Percussion card. It's great, but I haven't gotten around to making a track with it. I really should.
Wendyl
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I have the Mk1 with the Ethnic Percussion card. It's great, but I haven't gotten around mega joker slot to making a track with it. I really should.

I have the same.
tron23
r8m with a few cards. Guinness ftw!
thee ghost ov n_phay
I had an R8m for quite a few years, I used it a lot, dug the sounds loads too (had electronic, ethnic and latin cards) the only critique i wold have had was that it was a bit light on cymbal variations. I flogged it when I got "kontakt" and sonic couture variable ambience drums library. Sometimes wish that I'd kept hold of it nevertheless. Great unit anyway.
heckadecimal69
I had the mk2, and later the r5 for awhile. They're so awesome. The sequencer rules, but I would run out of note memory way before filling up the patterns. I gotta dig out the (unreleased) tape I made with the r8mk2.

Listening a lot to the newly freeleased old Autechre demo tapes, they're all over them.
HerrX
Had an mk2 in the early 2000s, have the R8 now, with all the cards. My favorite drum machine ever, and I've had a bunch. If the display was backlit, it would be absolute perfection to me. Guinness ftw!
joey
i've got an R8 with the 909 card

love it to death, such a beast!
Blairio
I had an R8 in the late 80's and loved it to bits. I was making music for TV programs at the time, and it paid for itself in pretty short order.

Later I sold the R8 and bought the rack version, along with a 909 card. So I still had the R8 sound, but I came to really miss the R8's interface and features. It was probably my favourite drum machine.

My second favourite was a small Kawai one from some years before. It was really cool as some of the sounds already had reverb!
3hands
What’s the going rate for an R8 these days? Would be a fun machine to have around the studio!!
onthebandwagon
Are the difference so between incarnation significant?
(((EMP)))
Had a R8 MKII. Always loved the sounds. I really wish it had rubber pads instead of the hard plastic ones.
SyndieBot2000XL
Have a mkII that I impulse bought at a pawn shop almost 20 years ago. Never got on with the sequencer, largely because at the time the instruction manual was either not searchable online or I didn’t have internet service or both. I just use it as a sound module attached to an MPC, mostly as a drum thickener.

Around 2009 some asshole junkie “friend” stole the psu thinking it belonged to a cheap inkjet printer they were also stealing. Took me almost 7 years to find another ach-120 for a reasonable price.

Maybe I should finally take the time to get fluent with the sequencer, people always gush about it when this machine comes up.
coolshirtdotjpg
onthebandwagon wrote:
Are the difference so between incarnation significant?

The word on the internet (and I have no clue how much credence to give this) is that the MK2, while loaded with more sounds, has worse digital to analog converters, and doesn't sound quite as nice.
coolshirtdotjpg
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I have the Mk1 with the Ethnic Percussion card. It's great, but I haven't gotten around to making a track with it. I really should.

This reminds me, I did end up making a track using it eventually: https://repairerofreputations.bandcamp.com/track/pursuing-claras-murde rer
unpunk
I have the mk1. The kick & snare will cut through any mix at any volume. Love it. Fave drum machine ever. & the human feel quantiser is really good. It puts mistakes in. I used to used on non drum midi lines. I had the 909 card which I have lost waah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1