MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Why so much hate for not wanting Behringer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Why so much hate for not wanting Behringer?
Birth_Chord
Legit question... I entered the market for a Minimoog reissue recently... I've been on these forums for about a year. Every time I mention a Model D or Moog the hidden stalkers come out of the bushes and attack...

How is the current market related to successful music? Is it mostly Behringer and you'll be hated on for using Moog in a year or two? It may seem like I'm being facetious but I'm not.

I got everything right on this test https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/6rw82d/minimoog_model_d _vs_se02_part_1/ but I've been playing music for 15 years, was band captain, played 5 instruments in my prime, etc... The sound difference is obvious to me. Demo 3 gave me trouble so I listened a second time and got it more easily. I own an SE-02 and it's a great synth but I'd love to have a Minimoog solely for making music, with just a hint of basically owning something that belongs in a museum.

I'm looking for opinions and commentary on the current market and electronic trends, as well as gear used by successful newly established musicians in 2019.
Panason
Just you wait for the B8-0-H8! Enjoy the show!
Birth_Chord
Panason wrote:
Just you wait for the B8-0-H8! Enjoy the show!

UB-H8?
Man-In-A-Suitcase
Birth_Chord wrote:
Legit question... I entered the market for a Minimoog reissue recently... I've been on these forums for about a year. Every time I mention a Model D or Moog the hidden stalkers come out of the bushes and attack...

It's like the question why is Moog so overrated. Most of the stuff they make now is shit. I'm sure Bob would have disapproved at what Moog are now churning out in his name.

Bob loved his modulars and would have approved of the modular reissues, but the Minimoog reissue probably not.

Folks hate on synths for different reasons, but us humans have a penchant to complain about everything, even when it's not worth complaining about!
Birth_Chord
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
Birth_Chord wrote:

It's like the question why is Moog so overrated. Most of the stuff they make now is shit. I'm sure Bob would have disapproved at what Moog are now churning out in his name.

Bob loved his modulars and would have approved of the modular reissues, but the Minimoog reissue probably not.

Folks hate on synths for different reasons, but us humans have a penchant to complain about everything, even when it's not worth complaining about!

Moog doesn't really seem overrated anymore, they seem... rated. I never really see Moogs suggested in any range of money, beyond the Sub/Subsequent 37 which gets a decent amount of love for the price and can be had used for $900 which is excellent for what it does and how it sounds. I'd wager I've read a ratio of (~10-20):1 Behringer:Moog suggestions the past year when looking for synths as a returner to the market myself.
Fog Door
Quote:
gear used by successful newly established musicians in 2019

Buy an Ipad
Birth_Chord
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:
gear used by successful newly established musicians in 2019

Buy an Ipad

It's on my list actually. Although I'm trying to get away from Apple, iPad is too good with its exclusives.
Fog Door
Quote:
It's on my list actually

Cool, because I wasn't joking smile
Birth_Chord
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:
It's on my list actually

Cool, because I wasn't joking smile

Neither am I. Trying not to joke and suppress my personality in this thread as to not be deemed a troll or a joka. I had a used iPad in my cart like 2 months ago but I built a vegetable garden out back instead.
Fog Door
Quote:
Trying not to joke and suppress my personality in this thread as to not be deemed a troll or a joka

Your position appears to be that you think Moog products are superior to Behringer, hardly trolling smile

Quote:
I built a vegetable garden out back instead.

That sounds slightly like trolling smile
Red Electric Rainbow
Behringer and Moog are both sick. Get what works for you. A museum piece or a low-budget clone, either way you can’t lose.
Fog Door
Quote:
Behringer and Moog are both sick. Get what works for you

This is the truth.
Birth_Chord
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:
Trying not to joke and suppress my personality in this thread as to not be deemed a troll or a joka

Your position appears to be that you think Moog products are superior to Behringer, hardly trolling smile

Quote:
I built a vegetable garden out back instead.

That sounds slightly like trolling smile

I’ve only had a Behringer product for 2 days. I can’t really comment on them and have no opinion on their products, and my opinion on their practices does not belong in this thread. I’ve had the same guitar for over 12 years and it’s mint besides a ding it got from a jazz band audition I can remember crystal clear; longevity is important to me. Moogs are built to last but they’re not without a necessary repair here and there.

Compost bin is still in the works.

Mind Flayer
Fog Door wrote:
Quote:
Behringer and Moog are both sick. Get what works for you

This is the truth.

Yep. I agree. Behringer is putting out good stuff, so is Moog.

Re the model D, I got a great deal on a used moog reissue a few months ago and pulled the trigger. I also had picked up the behringer. I haven't sat there and A/B'd them, all I know is that they both sound great.

Putting aside the sound, to me the reissue is light years better just because of the total package (keybed, wood, huge and nice knobs). The only thing that bugs me about the behringer is that the knobs are smaller and stiffer, so it's not the same luxurious experience as with the moog.

I don't know why anyone would hate on your for liking a moog!
Birth_Chord
It’s not about Moog.

Let’s go with the SH-101. This thread could be applied there too.

It’s the flak received from considering spending a premium for a similar - closely identical sound (I’ll never use identical, real analog synths are never identical).
Unborn Gore
Brand loyalty is a thing. And people can’t help but worship, because there is a desperate loneliness within human beings that wants to identify with brands.

The same type of arguments happens with sports teams, lawnmowers, candy bars, vehicles, toy brands, comic book superheroes, etc., etc. It is the nature of human beings to choose sides, and indulge in zealotry.

Do you want to make music? Then stop worrying about it, and start listening to your instruments. Find the sounds that you love, and go from there.

The zealots don’t know any better than your ears.
thispoison
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:

Surprised he allowed that piece of shit Minimoog in the first place?
Fog Door
Quote:
Do you want to make music? Then stop worrying about it, and start listening to your instruments. Find the sounds that you love, and go from there.

More truth

Quote:
It’s the flak received from considering spending a premium for a similar - closely identical sound

The prestige and feel of a luxury instrument is undeniable, if you have the funds. It is inconceivable that one could be criticised for owning one, although I understand why cheaper alternatives are often recommended. I own both Moog and Behringer synths smile
missingtwin
I happened to see a boog model d in guitar center recently.

I was surprised how shitty the thing looked and felt.

I’m not a Moog fan, but can appreciate how influential the sound
was back in the day.

Standing before this retro abortion really filled me with dread.
Not because it didn’t sound passable as a Moog, just the enormous lack of
integrity about the whole thing.
calaveras
controversial opinion;
The Minimoog re-issue is not really worth the price.
For about the same you can get a Moog Voyager. Which besides being named for the second worst Trek series, is a decent synth.
It's just not exactly a Minimoog. More like comparing a 68 Mustang and a mid 2000's model. The older car is more desirable, makes a cool engine sound. But handles terribly and is not as reliable.
The newer one has many modern conveniences that didn't exist in 68.
Parts if needed are easy to come by, and you get patch memory, I mean uh, radio station memory.

I had a real Mini for a few years. It is a beast, but it's also limited by it's envelopes and what the OSCs can do. The new re-issue sounds more like a Model D than the Voyager. But it doesn't sound like any of the actual MiniMoogs I've used. It's like there is less dirt in it?

To really compost you should add earthworms. They process through that garbage and turn it into decent soil, instead of a rotting heap.
luketeaford
I haven't seen anyone critical of Moog over Behringer. I think the Behringer is a horrible design because the Minimoog is cool precisely because it has a keyboard and sounds great played that way. It's also not useful enough as a modular part at least for my taste. If I'm going to play it with a midi controller anyway, I suppose I would get Monark or something.

I think some of Moog's recent and current synths sound great-- Subphatty, Sub37, M32, DFAM, One-- all beautiful sounding.

I agree with the others who say you should get what works for you.
Birth_Chord
thispoison wrote:
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:

He died in 2005. The reissue was released in 2016.

What are you going on about? His ghost?

chiasticon
I recently spent more to repair my SH-101 than it would cost to buy an MS-101. I doubt anyone will repair an MS-101 when it breaks. they'll just chuck it in the trash and buy a new one.

to me, I'd prefer to have something worth fixing and holding onto. but I'm also lucky enough to have that option. many aren't. we don't need any of this stuff, after all. if you want Moog sound but a Boog is all you can afford, get one. I'm sure great music will be made with them over the years.

but I see no reason to hate on someone for wanting the original, or even the reissue of the original. if it inspires you to make music more than the Boog, and you can afford the expense, then it's absolutely worth it.
Birth_Chord
Yea even if I'm paying a premium for 1% of sound differentiation and 99% owning something that belongs in a museum, the build quality and how joyous it feels to play, I think it's worth it so far. I've listened to the other arguments and they're just but I side with one still..

The Moog was revolutionary. I consider it a newly formed instrument more than just a part of a brand's product.
Rex Coil 7
Birth_Chord wrote:
thispoison wrote:
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:

He died in 2005. The reissue was released in 2016.

What are you going on about? His ghost?
I think he's saying that the Minimoog (the original) doesn't sound as good as the R.A. Moog modulars.

I also think you're taking him too seriously.

seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9