MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modern replacement for a M-Audio Oxygen-8?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Modern replacement for a M-Audio Oxygen-8?
Sir Ruff
Not the most exciting post, but I am overwhelmed with the number of small controller keyboards these days. Basically want a modern version of the Oxygen-8, needs to have USB and MIDI outputs in a 2-octave format.

I don't really have any major need to change what works fine as is, but the thing is showing it's age now--knobs send out continuous MIDI CC messages, the keys suck, and I'd like to power directly from USB instead of another wallwart. Minikeys are fine (even prefered).

The Akai MPK was looking good, but doesn't have DIN midi outputs. Any other options?
calaveras
I always found the Oxygen8 to be too big and clunky and not very good.
Of course I owned the MIDIMAN version. Maybe the Maudio one was an improvement?
The Novation SLMKII works very good. Much better keyboard action. More useful as a controller.
Sir Ruff
that Novation looks good but I'm really looking for something smaller.
calaveras
another good controller, which comes with some software, is the Arturia Minilab.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniLabMk2--arturia-minilab-mk ii-25-slim-key-controller
I have the old one which is a little smaller. It's not a weighted hammer action by any means. But it is very playable.
It's also roughly the price of the Oxygen 8. But with soft synths and a lite version of Ableton.

I sometimes take mine and a laptop with me to cafes and parks to work on stuff. Its quite light and compact.
DMR
calaveras wrote:
another good controller, which comes with some software, is the Arturia Minilab.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniLabMk2--arturia-minilab-mk ii-25-slim-key-controller
I have the old one which is a little smaller. It's not a weighted hammer action by any means. But it is very playable.
It's also roughly the price of the Oxygen 8. But with soft synths and a lite version of Ableton.

I sometimes take mine and a laptop with me to cafes and parks to work on stuff. Its quite light and compact.

The Minilab only has USB MIDI though, no hardware / DIN MIDI.
tim gueguen
The AKAI MPK225 has DIN MIDI outs, but it sounds like it might be too complicated for your purposes. Perhaps a used Yamaha Reface might fit the bill if you can find it cheap enough.
sutekina bipu-on
Why not get a keystep?
Sir Ruff
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Why not get a keystep?

yeah, I guess keystep probably makes the most sense. A Reface would also be nice but probably more $$ than the keystep, with less controller features.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1