MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Random*Source DSGXL build problem - missing SMD diode?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Random*Source DSGXL build problem - missing SMD diode?
nicholasgreen
I just started building my first 4u kit, super stoked to embark on this project! Unfortunately ran into a problem, hoping someone can chime in here.

Long story short, the lower half of the DSGXL is not working when I cycle it. After further inspection, there seems to be a damaged SMD component, which I assume happened in shipping or somewhere along the way.

Can anyone figure out what component it is in the picture? It measure 1.6mm in length so I think it's an SOD-323 package. The only markings on it are an "AR" and a line on one side, assuming this means it's a diode. I pulled the part off to see what the silkscreening was underneath, and it definitely looks to be a diode triangle.

Hoping Ralf chimes in here, I'm sure he would know!

cygmu
You have been supplied with a faulty board. I would contact either the vendor or Random Source and ask for a replacement.
nicholasgreen
cygmu wrote:
You have been supplied with a faulty board. I would contact either the vendor or Random Source and ask for a replacement.

Bummer... had a feeling that was the case. Thanks for the feedback
ranix
You might be able to replace it with just about any diode. There are other diodes that look identical on the board so it's probably not a zener. If you don't want to go poking around blind, you could call up the manufacturer and ask what kind of diode it is. I'm not able to identify it by markings alone.
oldenjon
ranix wrote:
You might be able to replace it with just about any diode. There are other diodes that look identical on the board so it's probably not a zener.

Yeah, it looks like it's from this portion of the circuit so just a standard diode like 1N4148. Not sure what package though. SOD123?

nicholasgreen
ranix wrote:
You might be able to replace it with just about any diode. There are other diodes that look identical on the board so it's probably not a zener. If you don't want to go poking around blind, you could call up the manufacturer and ask what kind of diode it is. I'm not able to identify it by markings alone.

Thanks for the feedback! Ya I'm going to reach out to R*S and see if I can get the part spec. I would consider returning it to Modular Addict but I've already completely built it... so I'd rather just fix it and get it working.
nicholasgreen
oldenjon wrote:
ranix wrote:
You might be able to replace it with just about any diode. There are other diodes that look identical on the board so it's probably not a zener.

Yeah, it looks like it's from this portion of the circuit so just a standard diode like 1N4148. Not sure what package though. SOD123?

Thanks for looking that up! Ya I was thinking SOD323 but not totally sure. We'll see if R*S gets back to my email.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1