MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Small 3U (West Coast) system to bring on holidays
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Small 3U (West Coast) system to bring on holidays
franckdw
6U feels way too big and serious! What small 3U (West Coast) system would you bring on holidays? I would have liked mine to be 84HP or smaller but I could only get down to 104 considering the modules I have.

It sure what to do with the 4 remains HP, not enough for a Rosie + a Pico DSP

So, would be yours (I am not sure that a Volca Modular or a 0-Coast would qualify!)?

Arneb
If I'd build such a system from scratch? Probably use something simpler than René. Erica Pico SEQ or Futureretro TRAX or something. Also, replace Maths by MI Stages or Tides, and the DPO by Instruo Cs-L.
nostalghia
LxD instead of Optomix would get you an extra 4hp.

What is the big blue power module on the right end (“Ape Punchbo...”)? Looks like it takes up 16hp which seems excessive- and does it output 16v rather than 12v?
Maybe consider the 104hp Make Noise skiff, power is internal giving you more room for modules.
hlprmnky
Here’s something that fits in a HEK:

The Mutable sequencing and CV mangling section will give you any of several flavors of sequencing, a SoU, and probably more modulation sources than you need, there’s your Cs-L and an LPG next to it, nice mixer for gain staging voices, and a Disting to be whatever you find to be missing in a patch (alternately, replace LxD and Disting with an Optomix, I guess).
luketeaford
I'd probably go with a DUSG, SSG, VCFQ, VCM and RING

or

Function, Wogglebug, Maths, Moddemix, DPO, QMMG and Rosie
Shakespeare
I've been playing with this for the past week for some simple summer fun.

franckdw
Here’s a 84HP variation. The René is gone and replaced by a Pico SEQ, it has a Rosie and a Pico DSP. But I can no longer control/sequence the 2nd DPO voice.

franckdw
Shakespeare wrote:

Do you use the Disting for mixing?
diffrentstrolks
franckdw wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

There’s a Zlob Attenumix in there
franckdw
diffrentstrolks wrote:
There’s a Zlob Attenumix in there

Indeed, has missed this, thanks!
Jenseits
i take this one with me on business trips...

And if i would want to go even smaller just this:

franckdw
Jenseits wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, what is this?
Shakespeare
franckdw wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

Mostly for delay (though of course, it can do whatever if needed).
Jenseits
franckdw wrote:
Jenseits wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, what is this?

Right: Birdkids Bateleur 42HP System
Left: Endorphin.es Terminal + Shuttle Control in another Frap Tools Plus case.
s.l.o.w
hlprmnky wrote:
Here’s something that fits in a HEK:

I like the above proposed setup a lot. But my Cs-L is in my main case, and I like writing my own sequencers to do steps, algorithmic, etc. on my iPhone so I sold my Marbles, and I've got this as my portable sketchpad (not particularly West Coast, as the OP had posted about, but still, this 84HP option is fun):

This 2 row x 42HP case fits in my backpack, where 84 or 104HP won't, but anyone could certainly implement something like this in a single row wider skiff. I put this together with the Frap Plus case pieces and wood ends. I would have taken a picture of the actual case and not a screenshot of the ModularGrid, but I'm currently traveling on a longer trip where I took an Intellijel 7U case, and this little beauty stayed at home.
franckdw
[quote="Jenseits"]
franckdw wrote:
Jenseits wrote:

Right: Birdkids Bateleur 42HP System
Left: Endorphin.es Terminal + Shuttle Control in another Frap Tools Plus case.

Thanks!
Tofupancho
nostalghia wrote:
What is the big blue power module on the right end (“Ape Punchbo...”)

Not a module but part of the “lunchbox” case style on Modulargrid. It’s a slightly altered graphic of the API Lunchbox, a 500 series case for recording gear. No actual relation to the eurorack format.
The Grump
This is my current skiff.

However, I'll soon be swapping out the Benjolin for an NTO, like so.

I have midi ports hardwired across the Distings, and a couple of long grounding cables for connection to other pieces such as my Cocoquantus. It's a fairly potent little synth voice and sound mangler.
franckdw
Thanks all!
Latest evolution of my idea:
[/img]
The Grump
That rack is 105HP. Who makes one of those?? While I may be in the minority on this, I think you are sacrificing a LOT of real estate for the René that could be used more effectively with other tools, but this is about how you really enjoy working, and if you have that kind of love for your René, then so be it.

Personally, I'd lose the René, toss a RIT_M in there, Pico SEQ, some Disting mk4's and a Sample Drum, and this is actually 104HP. But this is how I would do it, and it doesn't have to be how you do it.
Rex Coil 7
Does Modular Grid have it's own forum?
franckdw
The Grump wrote:
That rack is 105HP.

105HP - Oops! Back to the drawing board, something’s wrong with my ruler!
[Edit]I swapped the Pico Output for an HPO - 104HP now!

Quote:
While I may be in the minority on this, I think you are sacrificing a LOT of real estate for the René

I do feel the same but I think (possibly wrongly) that I need to sequence the 2 DPO voices (and possibly some CV parameters). Do you use the Disting for sequencing in addition to the Pico SEQ (I guess the RIT_M is for drums?)
flipper16
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Does Modular Grid have it's own forum?

Yes, but it's not as good as this one... hihi
The Grump
franckdw wrote:
Do you use the Disting for sequencing in addition to the Pico SEQ (I guess the RIT_M is for drums?)
In fact, the Disting does not have an editable sequencer algorithm yet, though I have asked Os several times if he could make one. However, the Distings can record the CV coming into it, and play it back, so I could sequence something on my RIT_M, record into a Disting, then create another sequence on the RIT_M. More often, I'll use a Disting as a quantized shift register, or waveshaper, or MIDI-CV, or... the list goes on.

If you look at my skiff, it's not really a rig for playing stand-alone. It's just a synth voice with a Benjolin thrown in for some weirdness, soon to be replaced with an NTO. I tend to sample my skiff either into my MPC1k, or into my computer, because I often use a lot of sounds, and I've yet to find a sampler in Euro, in terms of polyphony, and certainly nothing within my budget at the moment. I also use a fair amount of desktop and rackmount gear, as well as my laptop, because that's just how I get down.

If I was just going to use my modular rig on its own...I wouldn't. It's part of a bigger system.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1