MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vermona DRM1 mk3 or modular drums? Help me decide
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Vermona DRM1 mk3 or modular drums? Help me decide
krell
I'm torn between getting the Vermona DRM1 mk3 and getting Mutant Drums (BD9+Snare+Clap+HiHats etc, perhaps even JoMoX ModBase09)

What do you guys think?
BailyDread
modular will give you a much wider pallet to work from. those mutant drum modules are extremely flexible. the vermona has a great sound, but IMO it has to be processed with pedals etc to get more tonal differences.
krell
BailyDread wrote:
modular will give you a much wider pallet to work from. those mutant drum modules are extremely flexible. the vermona has a great sound, but IMO it has to be processed with pedals etc to get more tonal differences.

Well, my idea was always to get the Vermona with the trigger ins and process it with the modular regardless. It's worth mentioning that I already have the DrumDokta2 and Endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR smile

The kick of that JoMoX ModBase09 though... Rockin' Banana!
johny_gtr
I have had Vermona DRM and found it more drum synthesizer than drum machine. Sound very solid but it's hard to achieve sweet 606style hats for example. With modular stuff, of course you will pay better but you can create a good combo from different brands. Most interesting for modules - you can set lfos/envelopers/random to modulation and achieve sounds that you can't even imagine with classic drum machines
krell
johny_gtr wrote:
I have had Vermona DRM and found it more drum synthesizer than drum machine. Sound very solid but it's hard to achieve sweet 606style hats for example. With modular stuff, of course you will pay better but you can create a good combo from different brands. Most interesting for modules - you can set lfos/envelopers/random to modulation and achieve sounds that you can't even imagine with classic drum machines

What do you use now?
kwaidan
krell wrote:
BailyDread wrote:

Well, my idea was always to get the Vermona with the trigger ins and process it with the modular regardless. It's worth mentioning that I already have the DrumDokta2 and Endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR smile

The kick of that JoMoX ModBase09 though... Rockin' Banana!

It helps to know what kind of music you want to make. If it’s harder edged, then you definitely want the Jomox kick. It has patch memory, which really helps.

The Vermona is nice sounding, and it is probably your most cost effective option. It also has its own mixer, and the individual outs can function as send/returns for processing. Some find the kick weak, but I like it. However, it is not as brutal as the Jomox. You can get some nice hats, claps, and snares from it. Of course, it all boils down to personal taste.

I never tried the Hexinverter modules, but I’m happy with the Erica Synths 909-inspired modules. They are not as flexible, but they sound great.

Some have problems with changing the sound of the Vermona in a live setting.
krell
kwaidan wrote:

It helps to know what kind of music you want to make. If it’s harder edged, then you definitely want the Jomox kick. It has patch memory, which really helps.

I don't really have a specific genre I'm aiming for. I like all kinds of music, both electronic and not. The drum synth doesn't have to be the be-all-end-all of my setup.

I've heard other people say the Vermona kick can be a bit too soft compared to a modern techno kick, and it's quite likely I'll add the JoMoX ModBase 09 to my rack regardless. But thus far I really like all of the drum machines I have, I like the DrumDokta2 (Boss DR-110 based) and the Endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR (Roland CR-78 based)

They just get a bit lost in the mix when I have a bassline, which is why I'm looking for some more modern alternatives, not to replace them, but to add to them :-)

I have this in my racks thus far:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/916583
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/328816
jzwoopwoop
I think this really just comes down to whether you want the sounds of the DRM or not. I've never owned it, but spent a long time when I was quite obsessed with it. As I'm sure you know, the only cv modulation that DRM allows for is triggering the sounds - you can't modulate any of its parameters. So that's a limitation, for sure. On the other hand, there's nothing that sounds like it, vermona make incredible instruments, and it'll also take up 0 hp in your rack smile
kwaidan
Oscillator Sink has posted a whole series of videos about the Vermona on YouTube:

With MIDI, it responds to velocity.

Some of the DIY Hexinverter modules are deep.
sutekina bipu-on
Do you want a drum machine that interacts with modular well (tr-8s) or do you want a percussion synthesizer?

I ask because if you're going to fill up a rack with modules based after certain drum sounds i would say just get the thing thats meant to do it and give 7 other gate or audio outputs to the rest of your modular and save yourself the rack space.

If you want to synthesize percussive sounds, you have a lot of options there... with plenty of quick envelopes you can turn most things into a percussive sound.
IEC
I like the mutant drums, its obviously cheaper to just get a drum machine, but my thinking is that you tend to like certain sounds or dislike/not use other sounds on that machine, or you might like the drums but not the sequencer, or vice versa, so you will need to get other machines or modules anyway to create your "perfect machine. So, modular is kind of ideal for building your perfect drum machine by changing up individual parts. The stand alone machine saves a bit of money by not taking up rack space however i dislike having umpteen desktop units scattered around the place all needing wall warts, different jacks and having different output levels etc, so again for me the advantage of modular is the very clean and integrated way the drums connect to the rest of the rack.

synthesising drum sounds from scratch is all well and good for certain ways of working too, and a lot of people seem to think percussion modules are stupid, but at the point where you are trying to synthesise a whole drum kit from scratch it actually makes a lot more sense to just have a bunch of percussion modules. if i want to add a few more interesting elements to my perc i can always use some of synth voice real estate to this regardless, but for the way i make stuff its a no brainer to have a modular drum kit to serve as a backbone for the system.
Stab Frenzy
I was in a similar position a while back, choosing between the DRM and Hexinverter modules, and I went with the DRM and am really happy with that choice. For me the advantages of having something in the modular system don’t really apply to drums, I can’t think of a time when I’ve wanted to modulate the parameter of a drum with CV.

As far as the sound goes, the DRM has a pretty huge range of sounds available, and the ability to go far out from traditional drum machine sounds. The kick is more 808 than 909 so if you want that harsh 909 smack you might need to look elsewhere
krell
kwaidan wrote:
With MIDI, it responds to velocity.

Some of the DIY Hexinverter modules are deep.

I was sort of worried about this at first, but looking closer at the Hexinverter modules, it seems they only have CV for decay and cutoff which isn't really that interesting to me.

I think I'd be happy modulating the decay of certain drums at times by hand, but we'll see I guess smile
Illwiggle
Had the Vermona, sold it to go Hexinverter. No regrets EXCEPT(!) I miss the Clap circuit & toms are fun too. If you dont care about modulation via cv (vs knobs) then the DRM1. The Mutant drums sound more ruff & aggressive to me. I kinda wish they made a tom module... & yes that ruffness is something I always wished the Vermona had...But the Vermona has individual outputs so you can dirty it up outboard I suppose...
dbeats
jzwoopwoop wrote:
I think this really just comes down to whether you want the sounds of the DRM or not.

I fully agree. The DRM with trigger ins has a great value for money. And you are saving not only hundreds of bucks compared to single percussion modules, but also like 100 hp in your expensive case. As long as you want those sounds.

I own the complete Hexinverter percussion module series btw, but the main reason is: I love the sound and build quality. Tbh I really don‘t use their cv modulation possibilities THAT much. I rather dial in new sounds by hand, transitioning from one track to the next. I have other modules like BIA and SSF Entity for the non-standard drum sounds where I use the cv mod ins much more. When you go DRM you could easily invest some of the saved money into complements like those.
krell
dbeats wrote:
jzwoopwoop wrote:
I think this really just comes down to whether you want the sounds of the DRM or not.

I fully agree. The DRM with trigger ins has a great value for money. And you are saving not only hundreds of bucks compared to single percussion modules, but also like 100 hp in your expensive case. As long as you want those sounds.

I own the complete Hexinverter percussion module series btw, but the main reason is: I love the sound and build quality. Tbh I really don‘t use their cv modulation possibilities THAT much. I rather dial in new sounds by hand, transitioning from one track to the next. I have other modules like BIA and SSF Entity for the non-standard drum sounds where I use the cv mod ins much more. When you go DRM you could easily invest some of the saved money into complements like those.

Yeah, that's my plan. The only CV control I really see myself ever using would be decay/pitch on the kickdrum, and I think I'm going to get the JoMoX ModBase 09 to have a harder kick to go with the Vermona regardless.

Also definitely want some more experimental/noise/glitch-oriented percussion modules. Maybe BIA, maybe modules for self-patching

I think I'll get the Vermona and the JoMoX and then maybe pick up some hexinverters when they pop up used for good prices
johny_gtr
krell wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:

What do you use now?
After Vermona I had Drumatix. Sold Drumatix. Now I have some WMD/SSF modules, pingable filter (Stereo Dipole), some characterful LPFs, Plaits and ER301 for samples if I need. Major reason to use these modules is my interesting to find my personal sound instead of classic techno/idm/.... sounds. For classic sound there are so much classic drum machines that sound (for me) more interesting that their clones
kwaidan
Wave Alchemy has a free Vermona sample pack which may help you to decide:

Free Vermona Samples

Hexinverter have a 20% off sale until July 13th, 12:00 AM EST:

MUTANTMADNESS20
dbeats
kwaidan wrote:
Hexinverter have a 20% off sale until July 13th, 12:00 AM EST:

MUTANTMADNESS20

Thanks, now I just bought a discounted Red Dragon. d'oh!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1