MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

melodic sequencing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author melodic sequencing?
Voltage_Controller
Hi! Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong thread.

This Serge system sequence is probably the closest thing I can find that defines my goals - evolving, hypnotic, melodic lines (sounds like two voices, each with its own rhythm but are syncopated and in tune):

This is amazing! It's peanut butter jelly time!

So here is the question: How can I get this type sequencing (with my setup detailed below)?

My setup:

https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/333546

+phenol
+arturia keystep

Is it as simple as a second keystep and sync them? A bugbrand sequencer is not likely to come available any time soon.

Thanks!
Clockgate
That is my video, thanks for the comments. The original thread when I posted it is here.

The patch is made up of 2 voices. The left hand programmer/sequencer just steps through the 4 steps and 2 of the rows provide 2-note bass chords, all the way through.

The melody consists of 4 rows of 4 notes, on the right hand programmer/sequencer.

The key to the melody was the use of bi-directional switches (voltage controlled switch) to switch between rows in a semi-random way. Other bi-directional switches switch the sequencer clock between different divisions and directions, again semi-randomly

I'm sure you could come up with something similar with the equipment you have, but it wouldn't be possible to replicate the method without having analog sequencers and voltage controlled switches or sequential switches. you could do something similar fairly cheaply in euro with Doepfer modules. A Nord Modular would be able to replicate the patch almost exactly, not the sound though.

The Serge/CGS equipment is exceptionally flexible, and for a self-contained sequencer panel, it's pretty hard to beat the Vintage Voltron 3.

Hope this helps.
Guinness ftw!
xparis001
Clockgate wrote:
That is my video, thanks for the comments. The original thread when I posted it is here.

The patch is made up of 2 voices. The left hand programmer/sequencer just steps through the 4 steps and 2 of the rows provide 2-note bass chords, all the way through.

The melody consists of 4 rows of 4 notes, on the right hand programmer/sequencer.

The key to the melody was the use of bi-directional switches (voltage controlled switch) to switch between rows in a semi-random way. Other bi-directional switches switch the sequencer clock between different divisions and directions, again semi-randomly

I'm sure you could come up with something similar with the equipment you have, but it wouldn't be possible to replicate the method without having analog sequencers and voltage controlled switches or sequential switches. you could do something similar fairly cheaply in euro with Doepfer modules. A Nord Modular would be able to replicate the patch almost exactly, not the sound though.

The Serge/CGS equipment is exceptionally flexible, and for a self-contained sequencer panel, it's pretty hard to beat the Vintage Voltron 3.

Hope this helps.
Guinness ftw!

Man, you should retitle this video "the patch that launched a 1000 modulars". It's what is making me want to take the plunge into serge stuff.
simian
Indeed, that is some very nice patching. Reading the description of the video, I knew exactly which one it was before clicking on the link.
Voltage_Controller
Thanks u/Clockgate! Checking out the VV3. Open to other ideas from the list on how I can leverage my existing rig with an addition of another piece or two. I don't need to create the exact patch/technique, just get in the ball park of intertwining 2 voice melody. Thanks all! nanners
syncretism
The Phenol’s quantized envelopes are a great start. Never underestimate the possibilities presented by an envelope, a gate, a CV mixer and a quantizer. If you have multiples of those and a sequencer, you’re golden.

revtor
You need some way to turn your sequence from the key step into another sequence. So mixing it with another waveform as mentioned above might be a great way to start, maybe you use your shift register to trigger a VCA to allow the second sequence through. So the sequence could run and then when you hit the shift register it would allow the second variation through. Lots of fun to think about and would be fun to patch on your system. In the long run though, I think you might want to pick up another sequencer or as mentioned above, the quantizer which can turn any voltage into a melodic sequence.

Patch some stuff and let us know how you get on.
Steve
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1