MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The best improbable trio analog synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author The best improbable trio analog synth
Systemj69


My formula or my three pillars :

Lyra 8 + TVS+ EL2: one organismic synth with 8 voices from Vlad Kreimer + one mineral synth with 2 voices SEM from Tom Oberheim + one luminous synth with 1 voice from ken Macbeth, perhaps the link between our human complexity and the 3 elements of our Earth, the fire for EL2 surely, my point of view, my best recipe at this moment.

What are your best synthesizer combination to reach your alpha and omega ?
Birth_Chord
I keep at most 4 synths at a time, two poly, two mono (plus my guitar). Once I get a Moog One the SE-02 is leaving and being replaced with a Matriarch, only using it currently because I can’t sell it and got it super cheap. Nice trio still and extremely productive.

After getting the Odyssey, I have to say, I really don't like using presets much. I like a WYSIWYG constantly with state save at power off. I am more critical and nuanced with my programming. Buuuut, pretty hard to find synths like that these days that isn't modular.

Is that your whole setup? A minimalist philosophy? Or is that just a broken off branch of it? I think I'm going to get an iPad Pro soon to add to my setup but I wouldn't count that as part of the analog trio smile

(I don't use that closet door btw)

Systemj69
Waouw very nice setup applause
Surely i try to apply a minimalist philosophy but it is not my whole setup, the analog roots certainly but with several other ramifications (granular synthesis with GR-1, hybrid synthesizer JD-XA, Quantum and more exotic machines ).
Just one condition at this moment that i wish to pursue in accordance with my pratical view of synthesis: No Laptop/DAW, no pure modular synthesizer (IMHO i have not sufficient time to spent exploring the limb of all the sonic possibilities of modular systems when I consider my relationship with my trio, with more direct results and limits)
AdamJay
I also try to only keep a few synths. That way I can stay focused.

Strangely, this is where things have cycled back to:
Analog Four, Monologue, and an Analog Keys (AK on indefinite loan from a friend but I suspect he'll get cash for it from me before I give it back)



I just really love the A4 MK1 sound and how it fits into the mix. Having the AK here gives me that sound plus a different workflow. I generally use the A4 as a monster unison mono, and the AK as a 4 part multi-timbral synth drum and bleep machine.

Monologue I also love for the workflow. Having notes and parameter sequencing independently mutable from one another is super funky when you're just riffing. It rarely gets used with the oscillators turned up, mostly just wild sequenced self oscillating filter mod stuff, drenched in FX.

Sure, classic FM, Wavetables, West Coast, thick luscious pads, etc. aren't "covered", but I try not to subscribe to this idea of checking all the boxes and making sure all your bases are covered.
I make techno and electro, and I'd rather scrape the edges of the barrel and dive deep for the magic on three capable instruments than have three (or nine) that have nothing to do with one another just so that I can report that my studio is "complete".
This isn't a coin collection.
Systemj69
Many thanks to share your view and your trio thumbs up . +1 for A4 MkI (my first synthesizer, i use it regularly) . Surely the more important is to preserve your sonic identity and your creativity. All machines must be a means to develop your creativity not an end but it's difficult to find the best way when there are a lots of possibilities and i love to explore with some constraints new Sonic direction (equivalent as the musique concrète for example ), new combinations, a trial process depending on my projects and my commitment at this moment
AdamJay
agreed on all points! thumbs up
GrantB

Here's a band that's come together for a live performance concept.

Plumbutter and Cocoquantus: these hippies decided to start a band one night while trippin on shrooms in the woods across from dorms. They aren't the greatest musicians in the traditional sense, but they have this concept for a certain weird and wonderful sound, man. And hey, it's their band.

ContinuuMini: The newest (and hopefully final) member of this band. He's more from the academic side, with a dual major in CS and music performance. He's got a lot of big jazzy ideas to bring to the table and rips a mean solo, but he also needs to learn to chill the fuck out a bit. This one's a real stickler for productive practice sessions as opposed to sitting around drinking beer and listening to records.

Lyra-8: The mostly inscrutable foreign exchange. I could listen to that accent all day though. She may be dark of mood and rugged of appearance, but the voice! Hmmm... ok, that's also dark and rugged. While not always pitch perfect, she'll carry the whole damn show if she has to.
umma gumma
Micromonsta
Grandmother
D
musicaespressiva
Systemj69 wrote:


My formula or my three pillars :

Lyra 8 + TVS+ EL2: one organismic synth with 8 voices from Vlad Kreimer + one mineral synth with 2 voices SEM from Tom Oberheim + one luminous synth with 1 voice from ken Macbeth, perhaps the link between our human complexity and the 3 elements of our Earth, the fire for EL2 surely, my point of view, my best recipe at this moment.

What are your best synthesizer combination to reach your alpha and omega ?


spectacular collection. congratulation.
Systemj69
Fantastic GrantB !, certainly we have in common this special and positive relationship with the Lyra 8, I love this impredictable way to build specific sound texture, very rich sonic Matter. thumbs up
Systemj69
Many Thx musicaespressiva. Not really a collection for me but primary several machines with a Huge and versatile sound quality. Difficult to maintain a good balance between their own identity directly to serve my complete view of the final mix, all produce very rich sound textures .

What is your setup to reach your creative sweet spot? .
Muzone
Nothing special about my trio of 0-coast + Soft pop + M32, but it does fit in a compact space and gives me a satisfying range of sounds and syntheses smile
Systemj69
Thx Muzone, from your message perhaps an important thing : Stay curious and remain joyful with your synthesizer practice, it's your case, certainly with your machines you are also creative. thumbs up
Technologear?
Juno 6
Ob 6
Grandmother

All pushed sonically away from their most recognisable sounds (especially the Juno)

I love all 3 like my children: they're similar (playability, quality) yet different, have far more strengths than weaknesses, and when they synchronise and play together harmoniously it's simply glorious. Like Voltron.
musicaespressiva
Systemj69 wrote:
Many Thx musicaespressiva. Not really a collection for me but primary several machines with a Huge and versatile sound quality. Difficult to maintain a good balance between their own identity directly to serve my complete view of the final mix, all produce very rich sound textures .

What is your setup to reach your creative sweet spot? .


I'm building a system around a S1 Mk2. I only can afford one of these beasts, but I went for top notch instrument too. I will show you as soon as some rack frames show up here, I had some difficulties finding out a 1U rack frame for Intellijel tile modules.
Systemj69
Technologear? wrote:
Juno 6
Ob 6
Grandmother

All pushed sonically away from their most recognisable sounds (especially the Juno)

I love all 3 like my children: they're similar (playability, quality) yet different, have far more strengths than weaknesses, and when they synchronise and play together harmoniously it's simply glorious. Like Voltron.


Hello Technologear, Thx to share with us your view and your positive feeling thumbs up . You love number 6 ? (GrandMother excluded) why not a prophet 6? It's peanut butter jelly time! , may be you have one of this great synthesizer also ...
Systemj69
musicaespressiva wrote:

I'm building a system around a S1 Mk2. I only can afford one of these beasts, but I went for top notch instrument too. I will show you as soon as some rack frames show up here, I had some difficulties finding out a 1U rack frame for Intellijel tile modules.


Hello musicaespressiva, you are courageous we're not worthy , Cewjman S1 synthesizer is fantastic, it's worth the effort surely. I look forward to seeing your complete system.
lisa
Original Minimoog, Minimoog reissue and Behringer Model D. nanners
calaveras
I've been on a thing with the Analog 4 and Machinedrum for a few years now.
The third synth was my modular, but that role has just as often been taken up by my Roland SH09.

More recently I've been gravitating towards just the Machinedrum, OB6 and Striechfett. Then I got a Blofeld Keyboard.
So it's now 3 synths + the Machine drum.
Analog 4, Blofeld and OB6.
The A4 gets beaten up a lot. It has some really great sounds in it, but the interface is not as seamless as the Machinedrum. Together with the Blofeld I find myself sometimes having to take a break from fiddling on those damn tiny screens.

The sounds just work great together though. Machinedrum is punchy, OB6 is wide and deep, the Blofeld is spewing out laser etched sheets of pain, and the A4 holds down the bottom while throwing in a few little demon voices on the side.

At some point I'm going to weld my Waldorf NW1 modules to the A4 permanently. So it will be two voices of wavetable with analog fitlers and two voices of analog.


(yeah I'm a Waldorf and Elektron fan)
Systemj69
lisa wrote:
Original Minimoog, Minimoog reissue and Behringer Model D. nanners


A trio of exception for a music of exception, you are the link between them, a very good moment Many Thx.
Why the title Milpa Isles ?

I will prepare a new piece of my own creation with the help of my trio and sharing with all when my process is complete, ..a long process seriously, i just don't get it
Systemj69
calaveras wrote:
I've been on a thing with the Analog 4 and Machinedrum for a few years now.
The third synth was my modular, but that role has just as often been taken up by my Roland SH09.

More recently I've been gravitating towards just the Machinedrum, OB6 and Striechfett. Then I got a Blofeld Keyboard.
So it's now 3 synths + the Machine drum.
Analog 4, Blofeld and OB6.
The A4 gets beaten up a lot. It has some really great sounds in it, but the interface is not as seamless as the Machinedrum. Together with the Blofeld I find myself sometimes having to take a break from fiddling on those damn tiny screens.

The sounds just work great together though. Machinedrum is punchy, OB6 is wide and deep, the Blofeld is spewing out laser etched sheets of pain, and the A4 holds down the bottom while throwing in a few little demon voices on the side.

At some point I'm going to weld my Waldorf NW1 modules to the A4 permanently. So it will be two voices of wavetable with analog fitlers and two voices of analog.


(yeah I'm a Waldorf and Elektron fan)


+1 Elektron A4 thumbs up Are you also a Tom Oberheim/Dave Smith fan ?
Blofeld synthesizer is not analog but i understand what do you mean, the more important is to find the good way to start the process of our creativity and your trio produce certainly a good balance between synthetic and organic sound Matter also. The next step for you : Replace Blofeld by Quantum ? Or you are definitively happy with your current combination.
Systemj69
A complementary trio to my first setup: Minibrute from Arturia (with Analog solutions sequencer)+A4 from Elektron (once again)+ Mopho 4 from DSI


A proper analog foundation for my 3 pillars EL2/TVS/Lyra8, a basis just dedicated to produce a large low frequencies pulsating background with subtile evanescent sound emergence equivalent to the breathing of the earth..but into the audible domain, i'm trying,.. my fourth element.
Pando
Black Trilithon



Each one's got different qualities that complement each other.
Systemj69
Pando wrote:
Black Trilithon



Each one's got different qualities that complement each other.


Hi Pando,

Beautiful setup, i did not know hmmm..... , how can you control them ?
Pando
Systemj69 wrote:
Pando wrote:
Black Trilithon

Each one's got different qualities that complement each other.


Hi Pando,

Beautiful setup, i did not know hmmm..... , how can you control them ?


Kurzweil Midiboard with Doepfer R2M.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group