MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kit builds sold without mentioning that's what they are
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Kit builds sold without mentioning that's what they are
mskala
I just spotted a DIY build from one of my kits being sold on another Web site as a "used" module with no mention of the fact that it's also not a factory build. Am I obligated to do anything about this, or is it just "buyer beware" in a transaction that doesn't involve me? Should I be doing something like separate panels for kits and factory builds to prevent misunderstanding of which is which? What're the ethics of people selling DIY builds without mentioning that that's what they are?
oldenjon
It's up to you. I would be upset if I thought I was buying a factory Mutable module that turned out to be a clone. Hex Inverter has 'DIY Edition' printed at the bottom of the DIY panels. I personally dislike that. I would rather they print something on the PCBs, large and bold typeface so it can't be missed, but not on the panels.
mskala
If it's not visible on the panel, it quite likely won't be visible in a seller's listing; they don't usually show close-ups of the backs of boards. I only recognized this one because due to a peculiarity of the specific module involved there actually is a difference in the panel.
dksynth
Frequency Central had mirror-image logo on DIY panels .
TheMentat
mskala wrote:
I just spotted a DIY build from one of my kits being sold on another Web site as a "used" module with no mention of the fact that it's also not a factory build. Am I obligated to do anything about this, or is it just "buyer beware" in a transaction that doesn't involve me? Should I be doing something like separate panels for kits and factory builds to prevent misunderstanding of which is which? What're the ethics of people selling DIY builds without mentioning that that's what they are?

There's no question that the seller is off side on this. I don't think you are obligated to do anything, but you may want to (at least) politely point it out to the seller, as I don't think it is fair to you. You can handle the larger issue however you'd like, but you may want to consider the implications for your brand image or business...

- a secondary market that is rife with (presumably) inferior DIY builds will hurt resale value of your products, which will eventually affect retail value

- you may start spending time fending off warranty issues from these DIY builds

- these mistaken owners of DIY builds may start complaining about quality issues on the interwebs

Just some thoughts...
oldenjon
mskala wrote:
If it's not visible on the panel, it quite likely won't be visible in a seller's listing; they don't usually show close-ups of the backs of boards. I only recognized this one because due to a peculiarity of the specific module involved there actually is a difference in the panel.

True, but the fact that it's there at all will dissuade sellers from being dishonest and give buyers a degree of protection / awareness. In addition to having 'DIY edition' printed on the front, Hex Inverter DIY panels are also made from matte black PCBs instead of anodized aluminum. That's already a great indicator that they are DIY and not factory.
Revok
Maybe use a different colors for the DIY boards. That way the panel can stay classy looking but it'll be very apparent if the module is diy'd or not.
EATyourGUITAR
If you only ever sell direct then people will know if they are getting oem new.

On my guitar pedals I put my logo but I do not provide the art with the logo for people building kits. The kits are under a kit brand and the retail is under a retail brand.
Astrolabe23
I think it's up to the buyer to preform due diligence in knowing what makes and models could be a DIY or factory OEM. Obviously having clear indicators from the manufacturer like a different color face plate would help, but the buyer still has to have the self gathered knowledge that the different color indicates a DIY build. I'm sure some beginners are not even aware of the DIY possibilitys, and some sellers may not really know exactly what they are selling. (this is not as likely in a specialized area like modular, but you never know with online sellers.). On a site like EBay, I believe the seller would be forced to accept a return based on "not as described" if the module was listed as factory but was infact DIY. Still, as a buyer, returns are not something you want to have to deal with if possible. In the end, the buyer has to arm themselves with the info to make good online purchase choices and not rely solely on what the listing says.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1