MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ornament & Crime regular? or micro?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ornament & Crime regular? or micro?
gummyboy
Hi.

It looks like there are regular(12hp?) and micro sized(8hp?). Is there any difference for function wise?
same number of jacks and switches.... Are they same?...just size difference?

I am not good at soldering so I am going to buy pre and pro built one.
Do you recommend one? I saw several people sell built one.

Thanks in advance
Roni
They're exactly the same, just different size.
mdoudoroff
I recommend micro. I don’t think the regular offers any meaningful ergonomic advantage.

The jacks are tightly spaced on either design.
Roni
Unlike a lot of micro versions, the uOC doesn't suffer from any usability drawbacks as it's pretty much a set and forget type of module.
starthief
Having had both, I prefer the micro version -- the layout makes a bit more sense IMHO. The only micro version of any module I would wholeheartedly recommend.

(The version of Plancks with sliders is a maybe; I just haven't used it personally.)
gummyboy
Thanks guys. I go for µO_C.

Any recommendation for builder?

I found this
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=uo_c
bemushroomed
damn, so the original is 14HP (had to check).. quite a bit of difference size wise..

check reverb and sales section here (and on modular grid).
rayultine
I flipped a 14hp o_c for two u_oc's. I thought they would be more cramped than the big one, but I have no complaints. Stellar module!
aintnopicnic
Don't go for the original 14HP, it's a waste of space.
8HP ist perfect.

But I strongly recommend NOT to buy u_OC with small potentiometers,
like the Tall Dog clones. This is really fiddly stuff.

I have u_OC from Michigan Synth 8HP, ergonomically perfect.
Identical functionality I/O like original O&C.

https://michigansynthworks.com/collections/euromodules-test/products/m icro-ornament_crime
morgulbee
I bought a Michigan Synthworks uO_C about a month ago. Works perfectly, doesn't need to be any larger.
starthief
gummyboy wrote:
Thanks guys. I go for µO_C.

Any recommendation for builder?

ZZ_Ardoz built mine, and the quality is solid and it looks great.

You can't really go wrong with Michigan Synth Works either IMHO.
peaches27
Definitely agree that its worth getting the mini one with proper full size knobs, mini pots feel like they're going to break off in my hands.
lisa
I got a 10hp version from Blue Lantern. Good layout, no issues in a year and a half.
Chopper
Roni wrote:
Unlike a lot of micro versions, the uOC doesn't suffer from any usability drawbacks as it's pretty much a set and forget type of module.

What he said. One of the very few modules that doesn't lose anything but HPs by being shrunk. Same functionalities and ergonomy.
Howling Terror

Arrived today.
Glad I went with the micro.
sduck
I think you should be like me and get one of each. That's what the cool kids do.
Phitar
I have two of the uO_C..... One point worth mentioning with this size is... If you decide to run the excellent Hemispheres alternate software any of the ap s that use the teensy micro usb port to send cv or midi require a USB cable be connected to the back of the module. This usually means you need some empty space on the right hand side of the module to accommodate the USB cable.

If you don't use these aps no big deal.... if you do like I do it can be a very big deal in a rack that is short on space.
Howling Terror
sduck wrote:
I think you should be like me and get one of each. That's what the cool kids do.

They are like Distings, should come in 2s.
sutekina bipu-on
I have a micro temps utile and a full size O&C. If you have the room to spare, the full ones are usually cheaper secondhand and are a little more comfortable to use. That's not to say anything negative about using the micro version - it's just less crowded.

If i hadn't been able to get a fairly nice deal on a micro temps utile, i would have likely held out for a full size one used.
coolshirtdotjpg
If you want to upgrade to the new version of hemispheres that's coming out, you need to have a micro O+C, if I recall correctly.
gummyboy
aintnopicnic wrote:

But I strongly recommend NOT to buy u_OC with small potentiometers,
like the Tall Dog clones. This is really fiddly stuff.

https://michigansynthworks.com/collections/euromodules-test/products/m icro-ornament_crime

Cool tips. Thanks

this one https://www.perfectcircuit.com/mrseri-uo-c.html has big knob too
Ebotronix
I use the 8HP version.
the difference is
you can connect the 12V cable in either ways and
you can use the new Teensy chip if it's available.
pld
Ebotronix wrote:

Not directly...

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
If you want to upgrade to the new version of hemispheres that's coming out, you need to have a micro O+C, if I recall correctly.

...but adding these two together comes close: There was talk of an add-on board to host the Teensy 3.6 that would fit the µo_C (see here) and chysn expressed interest in continuing Hemispheres development on that. Whether that's any more concrete now (i.e. relevant criteria for a decision) I couldn't say.
coolshirtdotjpg
pld wrote:
Ebotronix wrote:

Not directly...

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

...but adding these two together comes close: There was talk of an add-on board to host the Teensy 3.6 that would fit the µo_C (see here) and chysn expressed interest in continuing Hemispheres development on that. Whether that's any more concrete now (i.e. relevant criteria for a decision) I couldn't say.

Last time I checked the thread chysn was pretty adamant about using it, it sounded as if he had already began development with that in mind.
Phitar
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

Last time I checked the thread chysn was pretty adamant about using it, it sounded as if he had already began development with that in mind.

He did seem to be looking forward to expanding in that way but don't think that O&C is going to the host for that. Teensy 3.6 isn't a drop in replacement for the 3.2. There would have to be some additional hardware changes made I would think.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2