MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eventide H3000: Excellent technical overview
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Eventide H3000: Excellent technical overview
mt3
https://reverb.com/news/tech-behind-eventide-h3000-ultra-harmonizer

Pretty good historical and technical overview of the H3000.
CoreInside
I want one but they’re old and probably not reliable right? Thx for posting this btw. Didn’t realise they were ti dsp chips.
beatcleaver
I don't think these are known for being unreliable. They are getting on in age but Eventide seem to make decent hardware. Though my own is having issues at the moment, I have friends who've had H3000's for 20 years without issues.

They get a bit noisey but it can be dealt with (sorry about to head out, don't have the details handy). The battery does go like everything this age but can be replaced.

I guess I may have another opinion once I get mine repaired, but to be honest, I'd like another, they sound sweet.
Jason Brock
CoreInside wrote:
I want one but they’re old and probably not reliable right?

They were made for a long time with minor changes between models. The last ones produced were the D/SX and D/SE. I'd recommend looking for either of those if you want one, since they would be the "newest" of the old, so to say, and may be more reliable.
tobb
beatcleaver wrote:
I don't think these are known for being unreliable.

They generate a lot of heat so if you buy one that has been hanging in a packed studio rack for years w/o proper ventilation spacing or forced ventilation you may end up with no luck.

Make sure there is always 1'' space free on bottom of the rack and 2'' on top

The transformer generates a lot of heat and is 'glued' between the top and base plates,overheating may melt the varnish of the transformer wire wounding near the plates. (has happen to me in the far past)
beatcleaver
tobb wrote:
beatcleaver wrote:

They generate a lot of heat so if you buy one that has been hanging in a packed studio rack for years w/o proper ventilation spacing or forced ventilation you may end up with no luck.

The transformer generates a lot of heat and is 'glued' between the top and base plates,overheating may melt the varnish of the transformer wire wounding near the plates. (has happen to me in the far past)

good to know, thanks tobb

besides obvious signs of melting, are there any other tell tale signs to look out for?
m0rb1d
I’d say it’s worth taking the chance. The H3000 is almost more of an instrument than an fx unit to me. Very playable and almost always rewards exploration in the most musically wonderful way.
sutekina bipu-on
CoreInside wrote:
I want one but they’re old and probably not reliable right? Thx for posting this btw. Didn’t realise they were ti dsp chips.

Its about time to start keeping an eye on the power supply board if it's still original since the caps can take out the machine if they fail.

It's also a good idea to replace the molex power wire that connects the psu board to the main board as those are known to degrade over time and cause all sorts of issues.

Besides that, they are good and reliable, though nobody can really say how long all the IC's inside it will stay good? That's why i use the h3000 factory plugin now, instead of a real h3000, having had a few of them. Though, a lot of the magic is definitely in the converters on the real thing.
rowsbywoof
Finally got a chance to read this article. Definitely great overview of the Harmonizer family. Really cool to read about the SP2016. One thing stuck out, though, and it’s something I’d read elsewhere but cannot ever find an answer for. The author writes near the end of the article that

Quote:
One of the more interesting things about the H3000 is that the various versions released over the device's 10+ year lifespan are based on largely identical hardware.

Later versions added more features like digital I/O and the optional sampling card (standard in the H3500), but the analog section, conversion, and the three TSM 32010s remained unchanged.

I have a D/SE in the rack, and it’s analog only. Several others I’ve seen over the years on Reverb and eBay were analog only, as well. I’ve never seen a digital I/O on an H3000. Anyone know which model of the H3000 has a digital interface?
sutekina bipu-on
Didnt expect anything good when i saw it was a reverb article but it goes surprisingly in depth. Good to see they sometimes put out great articles instead of the usual junk.
MindMachine
tobb wrote:
beatcleaver wrote:

Yep. I have an original yellow buttoned unit that was fully expanded and refurbished for a decent price from Studio Electronics/Ron Kulka?. I keep it with an inch above and below.

Nice unit.
ExtrasensoryPerception
Reliable?these are workhorses!!!. They have been kept on in studios for decades, with no issue whatsoever...they generate heat, but like any other professional studio gear they're designed to withstand it.

Space in between units is appreciated, but not required.
mt3
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Didnt expect anything good when i saw it was a reverb article but it goes surprisingly in depth. Good to see they sometimes put out great articles instead of the usual junk.

That was my thought exactly. Wanted to make sure it gets its notice in case the platform deterred some.
CoreInside
I guess the ti chips are just number crunchers that don’t affect the sound. What do you think gives the h3000 series its mojo?

This track was made with multiple passes of a dse

tobb
PS: If you buy one and the display does not look very clear,just unscrew the frontpanel and clean the display AND inside on the plexi,the gap between the display and plexi is large and so often its full of dust.

Due to the heat they produce (= airflow) these parts are always dusty,gice it a clean and your H3000 display will look like new.

If you do that clean also the optical disc from the data wheel

ExtrasensoryPerception wrote:
Reliable?these are workhorses!!!. They have been kept on in studios for decades, with no issue whatsoever...they generate heat, but like any other professional studio gear they're designed to withstand it.

Space in between units is appreciated, but not required.

its absolutely required for reliable operation as stated here! :

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Discontinued+products/ H3000_Series_Manual.pdf
warmtape
CoreInside wrote:
I guess the ti chips are just number crunchers that don’t affect the sound. What do you think gives the h3000 series its mojo?

that a guess or do you have inside information?
CoreInside
warmtape wrote:
CoreInside wrote:

Aphex twin syrobonkers interview
warmtape
CoreInside wrote:
warmtape wrote:
CoreInside wrote:

interesting, as i thought he only did live to 2 track. thanks for the info
beatcleaver
warmtape wrote:
CoreInside wrote:
warmtape wrote:
CoreInside wrote:

interesting, as i thought he only did live to 2 track. thanks for the info

Here's the quote:

"none of the tracks on syro were multi tracked into the computer , they were all recorded live to 2 track, which is kinda insane but the way i like it.
Its done then , you have to get it right , theres no fixing it afterwards, theres no edits on any of the tracks apart from the Marchrom , which is made from multiple takes with a load of different Eventide 3000 dse fx."

https://web.archive.org/web/20141110222421/http://noyzelab.blogspot.co .uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part2.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1