MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modularaddict's website is a joke
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Modularaddict's website is a joke
metasonix
Hundred of products. Good or bad, I can't tell. Innumerable "alternate" front panels for things, many bare PC boards. (Do they sell ANY blank Euro panels? I could not find any.)

The parts selection is paltry but some are useful to me. So far their 5C3/2 vactrol has been the best one in current production. They keep selling out of things I routinely need, unfortunately.

Why do they bother keeping things on the site if they are "OUT OF STOCK"? Sometimes with NO idea when new stock will arrive?

Just sayin'.
metasonix
Thonk is better run in general but more costly because shipment from the UK, plus a similar large mishmash of "partial kits". No blank panels that I could find.
devinw1
It is a little screwy. My favorite is that they seem to have more shit not in stock than in stock haha.

They do ship pretty quick tho.
Whelm
It clearly says what is and isn't out of stock, to be fair. I actually find it to be quite a nice website.
sduck
They went all to hell when that Logan guy stated working there

Dead Banana

(jk Logan, love you man)
oldenjon
'Joke' seems a little harsh with the arguments you made. I imagine it's hard to keep products in stock when many of the products are designed in someone's garage and produced in small quantities. They also haven't been around as long as Thonk or Synthcube. If you want to talk about a joke, Synthcube often sells products at prices higher than MSRP. They used to charge a 'handling fee' on top, don't know if they still do.

Anyways, maybe a little constructive criticism is in order?

Parts I would love to see at modular addict are:
v2164
More rogan knobs
Sifam knobs
More panel hardware including plastic washers
Switch caps
9mm Alpha D-shaft and t18 pots
OrganFixer
A while back I decided to never buy from synthcube again due to the $15 shipping charge on $16 dollars of jacks. Just shipped 300 mile in a padded envelope. Whatever, I wouldn't have been a big customer anyway.
basicbasic
I've never had any issues with it and find it the easiest to use out of the main synth DIY oriented sites. Like any site i'm sure improvements can be made. Their discount international shipping rate helps sooth any minor issues I may have though w00t
col
I would be using them a lot more if they didn't keep running out of jacks and stocked 9mm Alpha D-shaft, t18 pots, Teensy, and those really annoying to get OLED SH1106 or SSD1306 / 1.3” screens...
ambrohski
I like their steady feeding page- I'm slightly annoyed by the minor inconvenience associated with having to press the 'next' tab for other sellers... These are 1st world problems, fo sho...

I agree with the idea of not showing the out of stock products- if something shows to have zero stock, it could just as easily not show it until it's been replenished.

Still one of the better sources for those in the US, regardless. I had a shipment from Thonk that had the customs label on it with a value that tempted someone (US Postal Service?) to 'lose' the package.
I pursued it with the local office, and the package showed up a month after it had showed as delivered, and had an odd hole in it that I suspect was used to probe the package for something valuable to anyone other than a DIY enthusiast. you kids get off my lawn
Revok
I like having this option:

yan6
I run a ecommerce myself everleighgarden.ca and cant express enough how much of a challenge it is to stay on top of inventory and update your website. This is even more exaggerated if your busy making sales, packing and shipping orders. Based on the amount I seem to order from them, they must be busy Dead Banana

showing the out of stock item with the email signup could be a bit of a gas gauge indicating your potential sell through rate on restock.
mskala
OrganFixer wrote:
A while back I decided to never buy from synthcube again due to the $15 shipping charge on $16 dollars of jacks. Just shipped 300 mile in a padded envelope. Whatever, I wouldn't have been a big customer anyway.

One of the reasons I don't sell any small items like PCB+panel sets anymore is that it's impossible to convince customers that shipping small items really does cost as much as it costs.
ixtern
mskala wrote:
OrganFixer wrote:

One of the reasons I don't sell any small items like PCB+panel sets anymore is that it's impossible to convince customers that shipping small items really does cost as much as it costs.

I've been buying two times from Synthrotek PCBs and panels and their shipping fee (overseas!) for such items (flat package?) is zero. I wish other sellers had the same conditions.
euromorcego
mskala wrote:

i sometimes also think it does not costs as much as it costs. wink

At least I sometimes wonder because some companies are able to have rather low shipping rates (for items that are essentially letters). Not sure what the difference is, do they use different companies? Sometimes it might help to choose the right format (e.g. I noticed that there is sometimes a big difference in price whether something is considered a large letter vs a package ... even though the actual dimensions are identical).
mskala
euromorcego wrote:
At least I sometimes wonder because some companies are able to have rather low shipping rates (for items that are essentially letters). Not sure what the difference is, do they use different companies? Sometimes it might help to choose the right format (e.g. I noticed that there is sometimes a big difference in price whether something is considered a large letter vs a package ... even though the actual dimensions are identical).

Sending something that is really a package as "lettermail," against the postal regulations, is probably the easiest way to get a very low price on shipping a small package. Sending as a package but without tracking may also knock a few bucks off the price. In either of these cases, one can bring the price down to a fraction of the cost of sending a tracked package... and then if the recipient never gets it, the sender has no recourse and will probably end up losing an argument with the credit card company.

The better way to go is what I actually do: mark up the prices of the actual items a little bit and use that to subsidize the cost of shipping, either with unrealistically low charges shown to the customer, or no shipping charge shown to the customer at all. But when shipping really does cost $15 - which you are free to disbelieve, but disbelieving it won't make it stop being true - it's pretty hard to hide that in the price of a $10 item.
chachi
ambrohski wrote:
I like their steady feeding page- I'm slightly annoyed by the minor inconvenience associated with having to press the 'next' tab for other sellers... These are 1st world problems, fo sho...

yes and yes, but i wish it didn’t jump you back to the first page when you came back from individual product detail.
infinitemachinery
Quote:
Why do they bother keeping things on the site if they are "OUT OF STOCK"? Sometimes with NO idea when new stock will arrive?

I wish OUT OF STOCK was a problem I had to deal with :-)
joem
Kind of bold for a manufacturer to be shitting on a synth DIY store like this. Especially in such exaggerated terms of calling them a joke and complaining because things run out of stock (in this small part of an already small industry where a lot of manufacturers don't even make a living from their synth stuff).

Did MA say something bad about metasonix or call vacuum tubes outdated on twitter or something?
OIP
yeah these god damn literally count them worldwide on one hand list of website stores making it way easier to conveniently source synth DIY materials and giving a way for tiny designers to distribute their work who do they think they are
col
I think the OP might not have been very diplomatic in their approach but there is nothing wrong with a little bit of healthy criticism. I mean, if you have looked at any of the Metasonix art work, it's tuned to the same key.
jimfowler
I like Modular Addict and will continue to buy from them and all the other synth diy shops out there. We'd all be super-fucked if there weren't more than one online shop to pick from since nobody can have all the things in stock all the time. I'm appreciative of them all and show it by giving them money in exchange for things.
auxren
Maybe OP is just having a bad day and will apologize for being a jerk for no reason? No one is forcing anyone to buy anything from anywhere; it's all you choice OP. Breath calmly and all will be ok.
Revok
I don't think Eric really said anything out of line.

I've had many good experiences with Modular Addict. I assume they're a small operation and set my expectations there. The staff has been very helpful to me.
oldenjon
Revok wrote:
I don't think Eric really said anything out of line.

Yeah the title just has a very negative connotation that doesn't match the content of the post.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3