MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VOID Modular stuff
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author VOID Modular stuff
Crashlander42
Hey! I don't know that I've ever posted beyond the DIY forum, and even then rarely. I am not good at being social. I built up some nerve and decided to share my stuff here finally.

I've been building DIY pedals, modular and synthesizers for about 15 years. About a year ago I decided to start designing and selling my own modules. Some are based on my old designs, clones or mutations. Some are newer original designs. I'm basically designing modules I would want. They're nothing super original, but they're mine, and I'm proud of them.

Point of my post I guess. I'm Void Modular, hello, here's some of my modules. Let me know if you have any questions comments or suggestions. Let me know if you hate me or if you want pictures of my cats.

Here's my stuff on Modular Grid - https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/756
and my Etsy shop - https://www.etsy.com/shop/VOIDModular

This is my newest module that I'm really excited about -

Sirius' Veil is a stereo state variable filter with interesting features.

The right audio input is normalized to the left audio input for mono input signals. There is a master cutoff control and master CV control in the middle, and a switch to invert the master CV to the left channel for panning type effects. Each channel has VC resonance, cutoff offset, offset CV, and a VCA. The right VCA is normalized to the left VCA.

You are able to choose the filter state (LP, BP, HP, NP) with a push button, or a it can be changed via a gate or trigger into the "state" input. A three position switch on each side selects the number of steps available (2, 3 or 4).

Gravitational waves (Or Gravy Waves as I like to call it) is a dual triangle core VCO. Each VCO has square, saw, sine, triangle, and suboctave square. There's sync, LFO/VCO switch, FM with an attenuverter, and PWM for each VCO. The FM and PWM for each VCO is normalized to the triangle/saw and sine of the other. The 1v/o of the right VCO is normalized to the 1v/o of the left. There are lots of opportunities for fun crossmod nastiness. There's also a ring modulator with the sine from each VCO normalized to it.

It tracks pretty well. I'm able to tune them to track over 6 octaves. I have two in my live setup and use them regularly.

The Graviton is a swiss army knife of a VCO in 8hp. Triangle, sine, saw, pulse, /2 suboctave square, /4 suboctave square, white noise, pink noise. The noise is normalized to the FM attenuverter, so you can do anything from 'a little dirty' to 'tuned noise'. It's 3340 based, so it's very stable, but enough extras to give it some personality.

The Brutalist of a clone of a clone of a Polivoks filter I did about 10 years ago. It's gone through a lot of changes over the years. This incarnation has a overdrive switch, resonance boost, and a BP/LP mixed output. It has a pretty wide range and I really like it. It can go form sounding like a standard filter to super nasty distorted with squelchy resonance.
a

Entropy Cannon is a weird one. The audio input goes to a "Crusher" which is basically a VCO pushing a sample and hold at audio rates. From here it goes into a super squelchy filter and then to your eardrums. There is an internal envelope follower that is normalized to the Crusher's VCO FM and the filter cutoff. I built this with drums in mind so I added a preamp to the input as well so you can boost drum machines and other inputs to modular levels. It can be used as an interesting wave shaper or dirty/nasty/weird filter.
Crashlander42

Hexagram - 6 VCA's and a mixed output stage. VCA's can be used individually. When you plug into a individual VCA it removes it from the mix. VCA's are linear and work for CV or Audio.
Crashlander42

Mix mute - simple mixer with 6 red dumb mute buttons. LED acts as output indicator. Is green when unmuted and red when muted.

Big Muff clone in 2hp. I replaced the volume knob with a wet/dry crossfader.
The was really just a challenge to myself to see if I could shove the whole circuit into a single 2hp PCB.

2hp CP3 style mixer. Transistor mixer in a tiny footprint. It's not the original for sure but it adds some nice saturation/clipping/whatever it does to the output. I love using it to mix multiple waves into a VCF.
VM
Damn man.....where were you when I was building my first case? Probably have to pick up a Hexagram and/or Mixmute for my main rack though.

Can you clarify though...when you say "VCA's can be used individually. When you plug into a individual VCA it removes it from the mix."...am I misreading this, or why does plugging something into a VCA input remove it from the mix?
Crashlander42
VM wrote:
Can you clarify though...when you say "VCA's can be used individually. When you plug into a individual VCA it removes it from the mix."...am I misreading this, or why does plugging something into a VCA input remove it from the mix?

I described that badly. I mean when you plug into an individual VCA's output.

It's a VCA/Mix, so there's a mix output at the bottom. You can use the VCA's individually if you want as well. Each VCA is normalized into the mix stage. Once you plug into the an individual VCA output it breaks the normalization and removes it form the mix output.

This way you could use some of the VCA's for CV, and some for audio, or use some just as a mixer if you want and some routed to other patches.
shoottofill
Been eying the Muff. Would like to hear some more demos.
Wiresandones
Congrats on making the shift. These look good... will check out the shop.
Crashlander42
shoottofill wrote:

I need to get better about doing demos.

I have two crappy videos on instagram of it if you haven't seen them already -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuZ1mVKlvI4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuaOEmrljNZ/
radiokoala
Dude, you are a completely bonkers nuts-o for even contemplating the 2hp Big Muff, the most sincere round of applause going your way (might want to wear ear protection as I'm doing my best here). Module of the year 2019, very close call. w00t w00t applause I'll hold off buying for a coupla months as I'm about to dip my toe into the waters of making a fortune by building all sorts of kits and charging for the inhaled fumes, y'kno – needs at least of investment before I have the thousands of K snowballing and can allow some luxury items like the below-attached cutie. love All the best in your bizzle endeavoUr, hefty ninety-nine percent of havin' one in my 9u hardtechno-rig some time soon (and possibly destroyin' speakers like I managed just without it six mo ago) – the shipping to Belarus is close to the most reasonable that can be and I only grieve a little I can't afford the luxury of being rich and impulse-buying on a whim yet.

Three-to-four minutes of opening this thread and you already made it to my boutique top-5 alongside Erica Synths, L-1, & Befaco – job well done, and I can only advise everyone to purchase your products in heaps so you are able to pay the newly acquired playboy mansion electricity-and-superfluity bills in time and get inspired by the runabout-rabbitwomen to build more sick-looking stuff we can all gasp about, ctrl +, discuss, and whatnah.

On a more serious note, when you will have entered the Eurorack Hall of Fame some time later inevitably, would you think it would be Entropy Cannon or Sirius' Veil to get you there? The former's probably lil bit more cunning of a beast: rather original omnium gatherum of independent blocks cemented in one sound-mangler, TBQH reminds me of Qu-Bit Prism in parts – and that's another winner in my book of stuff I need to buy instead of XXXXL cheetos packs and soda that normal ppl rate above metallic noise-makin' thingies.

The only real question I have at this point is topology of filter in the Cannon – slope / inspired by / chip or discrete... analog, or? (have my finger-guys crossed for unnuluh nanners )

CHRS thumbs up
Crashlander42 wrote:

Big Muff clone in 2hp. I replaced the volume knob with a wet/dry crossfader.
The was really just a challenge to myself to see if I could shove the whole circuit into a single 2hp PCB.
shoottofill
Crashlander42 wrote:
shoottofill wrote:

I need to get better about doing demos.

I have two crappy videos on instagram of it if you haven't seen them already -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuZ1mVKlvI4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuaOEmrljNZ/

I have seen those.

It's weird even a lot of the 'big companies' are terrible on demos and I've noticed a few just give modules to youtubers to do a review on. It boggles my mind they can't do their own. Then again, I work in video so it's second nature to me while 'wiggling' is much more of a challenge.
Crashlander42
shoottofill wrote:

I have seen those.

I can do another one. What in are you most interested in seeing in the video? I mostly use mine with drums and squelchy filters.
Crashlander42
radiokoala wrote:
Dude, you are a completely bonkers nuts-o for even contemplating the 2hp Big Muff, the most sincere round of applause going your way.

It is a little dense.

radiokoala wrote:
The only real question I have at this point is topology of filter in the Cannon – slope / inspired by / chip or discrete... analog, or? (have my finger-guys crossed for unnuluh nanners )

Entropy Cannon's filter is MS20ish I think? The filter I based it on was originally based on the Rene Schmitz MS20 schematic, so it's already a clone of a clone of a clone, but I've also made several versions with some changes over the years so it's a bit of it's own animal now. I always loved it's sound and wanted to use it somewhere but didn't want to build another module around it.

There may be another version of the EC eventually that a bit more of a full voice. I also have a Variable slope VCF and wavefolder/mangler that I haven't quite finalized.
pekbro
Crashlander42 wrote:
shoottofill wrote:

I have seen those.

I can do another one. What in are you most interested in seeing in the video? I mostly use mine with drums and squelchy filters.

Videos are nice, I was looking at your stuff a while back on etsy or reverb?
unable to find much in the way of examples, I quickly forgot about them.

Talking about the stuff here was a good call.

Just sayin cool love the avatar btw...
shoottofill
Crashlander42 wrote:
shoottofill wrote:

I have seen those.

I have some dark ambient/soundtrack stuff in mind, so maybe something with more of a constant sound instead of drums.
Crashlander42
I forgot a module!

This is a Dual ADSR based on the Roland system 100m. Each ADSR has a standard output and an attenuverted output. The attenuverted outputs from both ADSRs are mixed into the mix output for complex envelopes. The LEDs are output indicators and illuminate according to the output level.

versipellis
The dual ADSR is awesome! I always loved how the Roland 100m did it, even if it occupied a bunch of space. I'd love to hear audio demos of the graviton, it looks great as a secondary oscillator for another oscillator with the /2's.
shoottofill
Crashlander42 wrote:
I forgot a module!

This is a Dual ADSR based on the Roland system 100m. Each ADSR has a standard output and an attenuverted output. The attenuverted outputs from both ADSRs are mixed into the mix output for complex envelopes. The LEDs are output indicators and illuminate according to the output level.

oh cool, am i wrong in thinking that attenuverted output could be used as kind of a side chain compression?
Crashlander42
shoottofill wrote:
oh cool, am i wrong in thinking that attenuverted output could be used as kind of a side chain compression?

I've done something like that before. I'll mult my kick trigger out to it and send the inverted output to a VCA with the initial gain turned up.
mick
Awesome work, congratulations on these!
beelsebub
I like the aesthetics of these and been looking for a cheap alternative for some polivoks-style filter. So the Brutalist could be the one for me. Also quite cheap considering the features. And the drive is definitely a plus. Have to think about these. And do I need a dual filter? Hmmm... The VCO looks nice too.

Anyone have any experiences with these? Would be interested in user experiences, cause the demos don't quite give the full picture.
beelsebub
And sorry, I'm a bit new to eurorack so I have to ask these questions but why are there two audio inputs and knobs in the Brutalist?
defalut
Love your modules! I have two Dual ADSR´s so far and i love them, now i´ve got my eyes on the Sirius Veil filter, is it too available as DIY and where can i buy it? I´ll probably get two of them even.. nanners
Paranormal Patroler
Superb! It's nice to see more people come out of the woodwork. These look really nice and sound great. Looking forward to what else you bring! applause
Crimesofthecrown
Is that the cat from the Alice computer game? That shit was daaaaaark.
Crashlander42
beelsebub wrote:
And sorry, I'm a bit new to eurorack so I have to ask these questions but why are there two audio inputs and knobs in the Brutalist?

The two audio inputs are just a simple input mixer so you can have two different audio sources going into the input. I like to use a saw and a sub oscillator for my Bass sounds for example.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2