MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to connect iPad to gear in 2019?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author How to connect iPad to gear in 2019?
Neither
I need to connect iPad air 2 with audio equipment. I need mainly midi-connection to control gear with Lemur. I'm very new to Apple products and most of the solutions I find on the internet are at least half a decade old and obsolete.

iPad air 2 has a lightning connector but nothing else.

I've been observing Alesis IO dock I and II but it seems like they don't support iOS 10.

Focusrite iTrack Dock seems optimal with iPad air 2 but it's discontinued and I'm not sure if it works with iOS 10... Also I would need a USB-to-MIDI-adapter.

But aren't these docks just basically a sound card with midi and mic in-outs? I guess they aren't also very portable (don't work with batteries). So why wouldn't I then get a MOTU 828x or similar audio interface? It has a thunderbolt port. Isn't thunderbolt port the same as lightning port? Could I then use PC and iPad with the same interface? And as a bonus I could get non-DC-coupled audio ports.
dumbledog
Gold standard here is generally one of the iConnectivity products. I've had this one in the past which would take care of both your audio and MIDI needs depending on how many inputs you need.
Kent

You’ll need a Camera Connection Kit as well but check these out.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
One of these from Korg https://www.korg.com/uk/products/computergear/plugkey/
CeeJay
No, thunderbolt port is not the same as lightning port!

What you need is the lightning to USB camera connector.
Then you can use almost all USB class complient MIDI and audio interfaces.
tehyar
Have you tried wifi?

I typically only hook it up wired if I want audio. Love being able to control my daw from the drumset on a whim (cubase), for one.

Haven't interfaced with Windows in a couple years but maybe rtpMIDI still works?

edit: This article is from just over a month ago.

https://www.lifewire.com/use-ipad-for-wireless-midi-controller-1994720
tehyar
I was curious to try it out from scratch since it's been a while. Went to my Windows server where audio apps have never been installed. Installed an audio program - chipspeech, just to try something. Installed and ran rtpMIDI. Clicked a few buttons. Opened chipspeech and turned on my rtp session as the midi in. Opened a sequencer app on my iPad, hit play - it was already working.

All free, seemingly reasonable on the latency (no idea what the latency actually is, though, but it seemed imperceptible even with the added latency of the MME audio driver in the mix).
Neither
dumbledog wrote:
Gold standard here is generally one of the iConnectivity products. I've had this one in the past which would take care of both your audio and MIDI needs depending on how many inputs you need.

That iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ seems really useful. Because I'm also looking for a new soundcard for my PC. That would work with both a PC and a iPad at the same time. However I'm unsure about the sound quality and latency of the PC ASIO drivers.

tehyar wrote:
Have you tried wifi?

I typically only hook it up wired if I want audio. Love being able to control my daw from the drumset on a whim (cubase), for one.

Haven't interfaced with Windows in a couple years but maybe rtpMIDI still works?

edit: This article is from just over a month ago.

https://www.lifewire.com/use-ipad-for-wireless-midi-controller-1994720

Wow, that sounds like a really cool way to connect a DAW with iPad. However I need to send a SysEX message into a 5-pin DIN connector... I guess that wouldn't work without an interface...

That camera connection kit looks useful. I guess I could then connect iPad straight into Expert Sleepers FH-2 without any interface in-between and use Lemur to play with my modules.
tehyar
Quote:
However I need to send a SysEX message into a 5-pin DIN connector... I guess that wouldn't work without an interface...

Ah, yea if you work "outside the box" that won't work quite so well. smile

I typically talk to my gear via the daw. Doing it this way lets me record all those messages from the ipad as automation, and I'm ready to record at any time. I also use the aforementioned mio if I want to hook up more direct. It's pretty hard to beat.
Divinital
I just picked up a 2nd gen iPad Pro, it's absolutely insane, 12.9 inches, can't be happier with a purchase. Huge, looks amazing, super functional and most importantly...

HEADPHONE JACK.
sutekina bipu-on
I used to have an iconnectivity2+ but i didnt use most of its features, so i sold it and got a yamaha bluetooth adapter. Between that and a camera connection kit to hook up my usb interface, i got all the midi and audio ins and outs i need. Been using AUM for recording and stuff.

I highly, highly recommend the yamaha bluetooth adapter for anyone who doesnt need more than it offers. I will either plug it directly into a synth or ill usually leave it hooked up to my midi patch bay.
h4ndcrafted
I'd hate to have to use the headphone jack on any of apples products, it is less than ideal imho, sounds a bit brittle and harsh to my ears.

I think my Yamaha modx does midi and audio through thr USB jack, perfect for cubase on ipad.

But I also use an Alesis control hub, which gives you audio converter, rather than the shitty headphone jack, plus midi. Is class compliant, obviously, and bus powered.
https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/control-hub

Divinital
Sounds perfectly fine through my XMAX pre-amps. Do you have any demos that have an example of that shitty sound? I'd love to hear.

That device doesn't have any sort of converter, DAC or pre-amps. You still need the camera adapter to use it.
h4ndcrafted
Divinital wrote:
Sounds perfectly fine through my XMAX pre-amps. Do you have any demos that have an example of that shitty sound? I'd love to hear.

That device doesn't have any sort of converter, DAC or pre-amps. You still need the camera adapter to use it.

Yes it does, how else would it take the digital audio and out put it to jacks ?

It has to convert it.

I can't test the headphone out. I just know that my gf shitty motog3 sounds way batter than any iphone i have ever had via the headphones out. There is a clear difference in the mids. Iphone is harsh, G3 has dropped mids.

Lots of people would avoid a headphone jack regardless, but i find apples especially annoying in the mids, ymmv.

If headphones jack were ok, they wouldn't make devices that i/o midi and audio for ios devices.
Divinital
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Divinital wrote:

It has to convert it.

I can't test the headphone out. I just know that my gf shitty motog3 sounds way batter than any iphone i have ever had via the headphones out. There is a clear difference in the mids. Iphone is harsh, G3 has dropped mids.

Lots of people would avoid a headphone jack regardless, but i find apples especially annoying in the mids, ymmv.

If headphones jack were ok, they wouldn't make devices that i/o midi and audio for ios devices.

How do you hook your iPad up to it? Via USB or a camera kit with a lightning to 3.5mm dongle? What’s the converter inside the unit? To convert USB A/B, making USB audio better than a stereo output?

Not sure when I mentioned iPhones. That’s an iPad Pro.
h4ndcrafted
Divinital wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Divinital wrote:

It has to convert it.

How do you hook your iPad up to it? Via USB or a camera kit with a lightning to 3.5mm dongle? What’s the converter inside the unit? To convert USB A/B, making USB audio better than a stereo output?

Yes you use tha camera adapter kit. I'd wager the convertion to anlogue outs of this is better than any phone, ipad, tablet.

I dont really understand the last bit you said tbh. This simply converts the digital ipad signal to the analogue outs and also the midi to an ipad or what ever.

Its just a suggestion. But I stand by Apples headphones jacks, while not the worst, are pretty naff even compared to a lot of other portable computing devices. I dont know what they do as they seem to use good dacs. But it makes my teeth grind.
Divinital
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Divinital wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Divinital wrote:

It has to convert it.

Yes you use tha camera adapter kit. I'd wager the convertion to anlogue outs of this is better than any phone, ipad, tablet.

I dont really understand the last bit you said tbh. This simply converts the digital ipad signal to the analogue outs and also the midi to an ipad or what ever.

Its just a suggestion. But I stand by Apples headphones jacks, while not the worst, are pretty naff even compared to a lot of other portable computing devices. I dont know what they do as they seem to use good dacs. But it makes my teeth grind.

I'd love to get one if it helps. Sorry I just thought the four 1/4 were ins/outs but now I see it's just main and headphone outs and that the inputs is audio over micro-USB.

I just use the 3.5mm for headphones right now on the go but I'm going to get a nice DAC soon that has a dedicated headphone output on the unit. I still enjoy the 3.5mm far more than having to use a dongle of any sorts when away from home.
h4ndcrafted
Divinital wrote:
I just use the 3.5mm for headphones right now on the go but I'm going to get a nice DAC soon that has a dedicated headphone output on the unit. I still enjoy the 3.5mm far more than having to use a dongle of any sorts when away from home.

Take a look at the firefly if its just headphones you want, ppl seem to rate it.

I know its a dongle of sorts, but it is pretty small

https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red
Divinital
I use the 3.5mm for listening on the go. I am going to get the Apogee One or Duet for recording.

Perhaps I'll pick up that little USB for on the go. Not terribly important to me. Plenty of threads online discussing Apple's AMP being relatively good and I'm no audiophile, but they are.
Divinital
For now all I needed was Studiomux.

Got it set up in around 10 minutes and can play the iPad from my midi keyboard and record audio all with a single lightning cable.
slicetwo
I've been rocking the Zoom U24 with my 2018 iPad and have no complaints. I got it because it's compact and battery powered. It provides MIDI IO, stereo IO, and phantom power to both XLR jacks. Got it for about $90 on Reverb a few months ago.
Divinital
slicetwo wrote:
I've been rocking the Zoom U24 with my 2018 iPad and have no complaints. I got it because it's compact and battery powered. It provides MIDI IO, stereo IO, and phantom power to both XLR jacks. Got it for about $90 on Reverb a few months ago.

How have you integrated the iPad into your setup? I will only really use it as a sketch pad and for creating patches when on the go, don't really need to record instruments or anything with it. I'll still be exclusively recording into my PC's DAW for song completion.

Currently I've just been using the huge amount of cheap synths with LinnStrument, any other apps you'd recommend for a DAW focused integration?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1