MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

possible to use gate signal to mute/un-mute audio from mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author possible to use gate signal to mute/un-mute audio from mixer
mahler007
Hi,
Probably a very basic question, but one I could use some help with.

I have a Disting that's set up to play MIDI files. It reads the MIDI file and then outputs gate and pitch info to an oscillator downstream.

I also have an Intellijel Steppy that is always running. Its 4 individual track outputs feed separate drum modules. The audio outputs from the drum modules feed a sub mixer, which sends the mixed drum part audio to a single channel on my performance mixer.

What I want to do is mute and un-mute the *audio* signal from the drum module sub mixer when the Disting fires off a gate, and for it to stay open until the end of the MIDI file playback.

It seems I could use a hardware switch of some kind between the drum sub mixer and performance mixer, manually toggling it on/off when appropriate, but I would love to find a way to automate this if possible, since i think it would be more musically effective.

In the digital audio world, I would simply use a gate plug with appropriate attack, hold, and release times and set the key input to receive audio signal from the Disting/Osc combo. I'm at a loss as to how to implement this in the modular universe, though.

Open to any and all suggestions — thanks for setting a newb straight!

Andrew
rosten
I'm not sure which of these you want:
1. to have the gate turn on and off the audio from your drum submixer as controlled by the note-on and note-off in the MIDI file played by the disting. (to get a kind of gating effect)
2. have the first gate in the MIDI file "un-mute" the drum mixer and have this stay un-muted for the duration of the entire MIDI file and then close. (I guess just to turn off the drums at the end of the song?)

If you want #1, unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, it sounds like you just want to put a VCA after the audio output of the submixer and have that VCA controlled by the gate coming out of the disting (in which case you will need to mult that gate signal).

If you want #2 it sounds like a sequential switch would be helpful, then you need to output one gate to open it and another to close it. Or you could still go with a VCA and you just need to find something that will hold open a gate for the duration of the period that you want audible. You'll have to find something that will sequence those gates either way. (but it also honestly sounds like this might be easier to do manually, if you are just doing it once per "song"?)
mrerdat
XAOC Praga with Hrad expander does exactly this. The Hrad expander has 4 active inputs which are mutes for each channel controlled by gates. The speed of the mutes is a tad on the slow side to me, but it gets the job done.

The sequential switch method is not great because of the clicking you get when switching from muted to unmuted. Perhaps you can get around the click from unmuting by patching a VCA with a envelope that has quick slope (approximating a vactrol) and trigger it with the same trigger as the switch.

Alternately, if you can control the length of your gate to be as long as the MIDI file, you can patch the gate to a slew (to prevent pops if you need to) and open a VCA with that gate.
BlinkyLights
A square wave with a pulsewidth that equals the midi file length?

Like - short pulses of a 100% amplitide square wave give you a stutter effect in the audio it is applied to... So just lengthen/widen the pulse to be one long one.
mosorensen
Wouldn't a Doepfer A-150 do it straight up (you can leave one of the I/Os unplugged, and use the trigger to switch between the two I/Os)?
mahler007
Thanks so much for all the tips, y'all. You've definitely given me some interesting ideas to explore. Hopefully it won't bankrupt me if acquisition of new module is required (isn't it always?)

Again — appreciate the help!

Best,
Andrew
rosten
If you can tell us what you already have, it may help people brainstorm a way to avoid having to buy anything else.
vailsy
The acl gatemix might be worth looking at as your drum submixer
sir stony
If you send a trigger at the beginning of the sequence and another at the end, you need a flip flop to turn that into a lasting gate signal. This may work using a /2 clock divider that sends gate. I'd then use that gate with an a/r env or slew limiter to soften the release against clicking noise, and send that to a vca to do the actual muting...
mahler007
rosten wrote:

If you want #1, unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, it sounds like you just want to put a VCA after the audio output of the submixer and have that VCA controlled by the gate coming out of the disting (in which case you will need to mult that gate signal).

This did the trick! Thanks to everyone again for all the ideas — this seemed to be the simplest and most elegant way to achieve what I was trying to do, so thanks Rosten.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1