MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Directional Modulation Conventions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla Directional Modulation Conventions?
chysn
Hi, Buchla folks!

I'm pounding my head against a wall here. I'm trying to update Hemisphere Suite for 2OC, and I'm not sure how to deal with what, in Eurorack, would have been negative modulation voltages.

Here's an example: For the clock multiplier/divider, a positive voltage sets a multiply value, and a negative voltage sets a divide value.

For the Buchla version, there's no negative voltage; so how would you expect such a modulation to be done?

Another example: If negative voltage would decrease a set frequency, and positive voltage would increase a set frequency, how would you expect that kind of modulation to be done?

I guess what I'm looking for here is an education in Buchla modulation conventions. What do Buchla users expect from modulation sources? My habitual Eurorack thinking isn't getting me very far here.
ndkent
couldn't you treat 5.0v as zero?
Kent
You have 0-10V in Buchla world.

When you wish to modulate a parameter through its full swing or to either side of an arbitrary point, just turn the parameter all of the way down and then insert the CV source of your choice. Now, send a voltage from your source in order to bias the parameter to that arbitrary point.

Done.
chysn
ndkent wrote:

I certainly could. My question is more about musicians' expectations, though. Is this something that's done in Buchla-land? Treating 5.0v as a zero point?

Kent wrote:
When you wish to modulate a parameter through its full swing or to wither side of an arbitrary point, just turn the parameter all of the way down and then insert the CV source of your choice. Now, send a voltage from your source in order to bias the parameter to that arbitrary point.

My interpretation of this is that I don't worry about negative modulation at all. It would be up to the musician to set the lowest-necessary value, and then use positive modulation (and perhaps a voltage offset?) to go where you want to go.

It seems so simple, but it's sort of a revelation.

Thanks, all!
mutierend
I don't have an answer, but I wanted to say that I really appreciate your effort to make Hemisphere support 2OC. That will be a game changer for me. If it's ready by the time we do a podcast show about the O+C in Buchla, we'll cover it.
dkcg
chysn wrote:
ndkent wrote:

I certainly could. My question is more about musicians' expectations, though. Is this something that's done in Buchla-land? Treating 5.0v as a zero point?

Kent wrote:
When you wish to modulate a parameter through its full swing or to wither side of an arbitrary point, just turn the parameter all of the way down and then insert the CV source of your choice. Now, send a voltage from your source in order to bias the parameter to that arbitrary point.

My interpretation of this is that I don't worry about negative modulation at all. It would be up to the musician to set the lowest-necessary value, and then use positive modulation (and perhaps a voltage offset?) to go where you want to go.

It seems so simple, but it's sort of a revelation.

Thanks, all!

It's common for 5v to be the "center". You could always add an additional "e" output in addition to your current bipolar output. The Zeroscilator Rev2 has banana jacks that output only positive signals, while the tinijax still outputs bipolar. The banana outputs are basically a scaled and offset additional output. This will need some extra circuitry, but the people who use 200 clones and other gear can still use the negative voltages coming out of the tinijax. The tinijax will communicate that it's an "audio" (bipolar) output, the bananas will indicate that it's converted for 200e land.

Or maybe just a switch or mode button. Because you know someone will complain about only positive voltages.

But if it's input to your module, I've just talked a lot out of my bunghole. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1