MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

IC keeps popping out of socket.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author IC keeps popping out of socket.
jdaddyaz
I've got an IC that keeps popping out. Any solutions? Can I add some solder?
Agawell
have you tried straightening the legs of the ic - usually they come slightly splayed

otherwise you can probably just dump the socket and solder direclty to the board
JohnLRice
I'll assume the socket is a Dual Leaf type socket?
Jaytee
My willingness to solder an IC instead of socketing it is inversely correlated with the value of the IC. Basically—am I willing to destroy the IC in order to remove it should the need arise? For a TL072, sure, fuck it, solder that sucker in. A SID chip, on the other hand, will never get soldered; I will find a way to make a socket work.
diophantine
Can you slide a small zip tie under the socket (lengthwise), and secure it on the top?
devinw1
I assume it's a side wiping type? Those suck.

Either take it off and put a Mil-Max pin socket on there, or solder the chip on (depends as Jaytee said what the chip is and how likely it is it will fail)
jdaddyaz
Thanks people for the responses. It's actually a turned pin. I've already tried strengthening the pins, and its a now defunked IC, so don't really want to solder directly to the board. I'll try the zip tying method. Still interested if anyone else has anything else.
JohnLRice
jdaddyaz wrote:
Thanks people for the responses. It's actually a turned pin. I've already tried strengthening the pins, and its a now defunked IC, so don't really want to solder directly to the board. I'll try the zip tying method. Still interested if anyone else has anything else.
Ahh, good. Since it's a turned pin type you should be able to slip a small zip tie around it. thumbs up
diophantine

It was good enough for John Blacet with the SN76477 on the Dark Star Chaos! thumbs up
jdaddyaz

Hadouken!
Rex Coil 7
If I recall correctly, Graham Hinton made a very good case for the use of "side swiping" or "dual leaf" type IC sockets. What he had to say made a lot of sense.

cool
ricko
I have never seen an IC completely pop out, but I have seen corners popout: had two yesterday with LM311s actually. The fix is first to press it in really hard (so that it snaps into the leaves or cone and is held there: you may need to use force but brace the PCB so that there is no pressure on it.) If that doesn't work, then straighten out the pins (use pliers not hands) -- sometimes it is the angle of the pins rather than their straightness: sometimes you need to get a 90 degree bend immediately coming out of the IC's plastic, rather than bending at 75 degrees for the first quarter of the leg then 15 degrees for the rest, which I see sometimes.

If straighting the pins a little does not help, then assume you have a defective socket (in that it does not take real pins) so replace the socket with a different make or type.

I have seen a problem with sockets where the iron was too hot for the kind of solder (remembering that each pin you solder can have a different thermal resistance): I have seen solder flow down from the socket pin into a leaf-type socket, making insertion difficult, though not your popping-out problem. So visually check, and perhaps suck all the solder out of the socket pins (do it upside down, board face up, working on the underside held up, for gravity): heat the pins well so that any solder wants to flow down and out to the underside ready to be sucked or wicked.

Hint: You might try first adding some solder on the back, counter-intuitively. Sometimes if the iron was too hot the solder drips all the way through to the other side where merely heating and liquifying the solder does not make it back down the hole but merely away from the pin on the other side: adding a bit of solder on the pin on the bottom side can cause the new and old solder liquids to join and flow back (I guess this is to do with surface tension or friction?). This is a general trick for desoldering, actually, sometimes if you want to desolder something that looks like it has very little solder, you need to adds some more first to get a viable drop to suck out.
thetwlo
Behringer used something like hot glue on some of their rack effects but when the temp changes, the glue pulled the chip out!
Rex Coil 7
Graham Hinton wrote:
Actually, if you vibrate a pcb at the right frequency ICs will just jump out of machined sockets.

Machined sockets are a good example of a product that amateurs assume are better and "more professional" because they have a higher price.

Here's an entire thread about both types of IC sockets. Graham offered quite a bit of information on the issue....

LINK = https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204476&highlight=

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1