MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elliott Smith
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Elliott Smith
Rex Coil 7
... yet another human story of a tortured soul.

waah
MindMachine
What's your point Rex?
leeski
Rex Coil 7
MindMachine wrote:
What's your point Rex?
The same as any of these artist threads ... to start a conversation about the artist. I felt that Elliott's music is so personal that the reader would be best off selecting and posting their own selections by Elliott. Everyone gets something different out of his music, especially since he kindof went through various periods of creation before he stabbed himself in the chest and died.

For me to post something I find of his efforts to be interesting would not do people that are new to his music justice. Rather, I simply started the "musical conversation" and let it go where it will.

pbear :(
Fog Door

Years ago I used to love ES, particularly Either/Or but I just can't relate to this kind of music anymore, although I can still appreciate the songwriting. I was really shocked when he died, I didn't know much about his personal life and his music never struck me as anything other than very mildly "tortured". Even so, what a waste waah

Edit: Turns out I don't know how to embed a video - what a loser!!! oops
Kent
Fog Door wrote:

Edit: Turns out I don't know how to embed a video - what a loser!!! oops

I did it for you. You can click upon edit and see that the only needed change is to drop the “s” from “https”.
Fog Door
Thank you for alleviating my embarrassment, Kent , that is thoroughly decent of you thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Oddly, I discovered Elliott's music from an episode of Rick and Morty. The one where Rick turned himself into "Tiny Rick" and went back to High School.

Member *Fog Door, I know precisely what you mean about having deeply negative feelings attached to a certain artist or band, which makes it all but impossible to listen to that particular artist or band any longer. There's a good deal of music from 1992 into about 1995 or '96 that I simply cannot enjoy without being kicked square in the balls with deeply sad emotions due to things I went through that time period. It's a bummer since I like music from that era but it immediately transports me back to ~then~ and I just cannot bear to hear it.

Pearl Jam
Greenday
The Offspring
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots

And all of the ~others~ from that era. Hell, just digging through my memory to recall the names of those bands brings old ghosts to life as I type this.

So I get it.

waah
fishphacurr
Rex....there were some songs and albums that did take me awhile to be able to listen to again after I went thru a divorce a decade ago... but I eventually decided goddamnit, that I loved those songs, and I had a right to reclaim them for myself, so I did ha.... with time, I am sure you will get to a point that you can reclaim those albums too....

It's crazy how music really puts it's hooks into us though, and how some particular songs will remind us of specific times and events. One of those magical things about music...I'll listen to some albums and all of the sudden I remember events that happened 35 years ago.... and the events themselves could be very normal everyday things, of zero actual importance. So wild.
Michael O.
When I was a kid I was majorly into his work. The songwriting is pop perfection somewhere between that of Big Star and the Beatles, with some incredibly well crafted arrangements full of depth and subtlety. No one could multitrack an acoustic quite like him. And, even though his lyrics were almost always overtly dark, depressing, and self-deprecating, they never veered so deeply into melodrama as to come off as cheesy or clumsy.

Production wise he’s one of the few artists whose recorded work successfully made the transition from LoFi bedroom vibe to HiFi studio sheen. While rock, especially in that era, was rife with boring and uninteresting productions I’d argue that all of his albums were unimpeachably well-recorded and mixed, from his most intimate home tape machine recordings to his most symphonically grandiose Abbey Road productions.

A truly talented dude whose body of work deserves recognition.
renny3c
Michael O. wrote:

Production wise he’s one of the few artists whose recorded work successfully made the transition from LoFi bedroom vibe to HiFi studio sheen. While rock, especially in that era, was rife with boring and uninteresting productions I’d argue that all of his albums were unimpeachably well-recorded and mixed, from his most intimate home tape machine recordings to his most symphonically grandiose Abbey Road productions.

A truly talented dude whose body of work deserves recognition.

spot on! funny how the concept of "recording perfection" has evolved this past couple of decades...

With ES it seems like the production fits the songs and helps conveys emotion perfectly regardless of recording quality.

cheers
Fog Door
Quote:
funny how the concept of "recording perfection" has evolved this past couple of decades

Because thanks to the internet, listeners, musicians and "producers" outside the phony music biz establishment and their BS money driven ideas about how things "should" sound now have a voice. Of course broadly speaking, the tyranny continues lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1