MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hertz Donut III vs Piston Honda III
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Hertz Donut III vs Piston Honda III
Andy137
What's the difference between Hertz Donut III and Piston Honda III?
Both are double oscillators? Piston Honda is wavetable... What else? Maybe in workflow of variety of sounds? Versatility?
Glitchmachines
Two different synthesis methods, thus the focus for each module is different. They share some similarities simply due to the methodology of the creator, but sonically they are going for different results.

HDMK3 is concentrating on PD and FM synthesis with lots of cross modulation possibilities, etc.

PHMK3 concentrates on wavetable morphing and wavetable synthesis in general.

There are surely other differences, but these are probably the most notable/relevant to your question.
Andy137
Glitchmachines wrote:
Two different synthesis methods, thus the focus for each module is different. They share some similarities simply due to the methodology of the creator, but sonically they are going for different results.

HDMK3 is concentrating on PD and FM synthesis with lots of cross modulation possibilities, etc.

PHMK3 concentrates on wavetable morphing and wavetable synthesis in general.

There are surely other differences, but these are probably the most notable/relevant to your question.

Thank you. And what about them in timbral aspects? As I suppose, Hertz Donut is both lead/pad and percussive but Pistol Honda is more for leads/pads/textures? Am I wrong?
hawkfuzz
That's subjective
Glitchmachines
Andy137 wrote:

Thank you. And what about them in timbral aspects? As I suppose, Hertz Donut is both lead/pad and percussive but Pistol Honda is more for leads/pads/textures? Am I wrong?

As hawkfuzz mentioned, It's definitely subjective. That all comes down to patching and which other modules you pair up with them, etc.

I think it would help not to think of them as filling traditional musical roles like "lead", "bass", "stabs", etc. and instead think of them more timbrally (EDIT: as in tonal "personality" rather than musical function, since that is indeed totally subjective).

I find it to be a good habit in general because it will help you think of the modular more openly.. in less confined terms. Of course this somewhat depends on you, since it will differ depending on your musical background, creative outlook, etc. and you may simply feel more at home thinking of these tools as filling a particular musical role. I tend to think of the modules more like ingredients in a giant sonic kitchen.

Anyway, both oscillators can cover the territories you listed and then some, but in my experience it's mostly a matter of sonic character and workflow in the end.
Wick
I have both I mean piston m3 and ph mk2 to feed lfo the phmk3and hertz donut mk3 I would said get both jejejej
Sinamsis
It's apples and oranges and both complement each other nicely. I have both, as well as the mk II of both. I have not completely mastered either yet, and they impress me and teach me something every time I use them. It's actually 3 oscillators for the HD mk III, so you can get some weird 3 OP FM going with a fairly comprehensive mod matrix that can be controlled with one input/knob. It breaks away from the Buchla 259/complex oscillator paradigm that the previous model was inspired by. The PH mk III is two independent wave table oscillators. They both have various unison modes. PH can process external audio. HD has wave shaping options and phase distortion. Both can be very grimey and extreme, but both are a little more hifi and can be more pristine as well, particularly compared to previous offerings (IMO of course). They are both incredibly versatile and capable of a host of different sounds. With the two combined, the options probably are not limitless, but it feels that way to me.

Here's some knob twiddling with both:

And I used both together here:

http://www.instagram.com/p/B0B-vN3hQrQ/
mt3
Piston Honda mk III
* allows you to load your own waveforms and wavebanks
see waveeditonline.com for example wavebanks available
* each channel has a mode to process external signals (Hertz Donut mk III does not have this facility)
* very simple FM facilities compared to the Hertz Donut mk III

Hertz Donut mk III
* more advanced FM options
* has a 3rd oscillator for modulation
* 96khz operation
Andy137
mt3 wrote:
Piston Honda mk III
* allows you to load your own waveforms and wavebanks
see waveeditonline.com for example wavebanks available
* each channel has a mode to process external signals (Hertz Donut mk III does not have this facility)
* very simple FM facilities compared to the Hertz Donut mk III

Hertz Donut mk III
* more advanced FM options
* has a 3rd oscillator for modulation
* 96khz operation

Thank you for the explanation. It's rather clear according to priority.
nios
I like to think of HD as similar in parts to a complex oscillator in its normal use, it's completely different from the PH ... Their sonic territory could in theory overlap sometimes, however they'll more likely be divergent 99% of the time.
autopoiesis
If you want the PH to converge closer to the HD in sound territory, load in some sine harmonic series wave sets and phase distortion wave sets, and stick with those for your two operators. The TZFM on the PH sounds really good to my ears and if you use waves like those you can pull off high frequency ratio spreads between your operators and the dissonant territories that are morphs in between harmonic steps. Thought about replacing my DPO with the new HD to accompany my PH but after giving it a shot I felt like the way I've rigged up my PH leaves it overlapping a bit too much for that to be a wise move.
Crimesofthecrown
I used to have the Piston Honda MKIII but decided to move towards the Hertz Donut MKIII in the end.

Here is an album that I wrote with the Piston Honda MKIII:

https://godiswar.bandcamp.com/album/whatever-in-creation-exists-withou t-my-knowledge-exists-without-my-consent

Here is a track showcasing the Hertz Donut doing a lead over the beat: https://godiswar.bandcamp.com/track/operation-hyena
autopoiesis
lead sounds phat
Crimesofthecrown
autopoiesis wrote:
lead sounds phat

Thank you! It was the first thing I ever wrote with it and I am still in so much love with it. Harvestman 4 Lyfe.
Besfar
Both are evil.
Besfar
Crimesofthecrown wrote:

Here is a track showcasing the Hertz Donut doing a lead over the beat: https://godiswar.bandcamp.com/track/operation-hyena

Oh, wow. Thats truly terrifying.
Im a fan!

Didnt find the album :(
Crimesofthecrown
Besfar wrote:
Crimesofthecrown wrote:

Oh, wow. Thats truly terrifying.
Im a fan!

Didnt find the album :(

Thank you so much!

The album I've actually have taken down for the time being. Its going to be released hopefully in January on cassette.

Still would like to put out there that the HD and PH MKIII's are some of the illest sound sources out there in modular currently.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1